Does heat effect calories burned?

Options
The air conditioning is currently being repaired in my house and I live in very hot Arizona. I was working out yesterday on the treadmill and my heart rate got up to 95%. My heart was pounding and I had to slow down, but I burned more calories than I normally burn if I had a fan in the room or the air was on. This also made me think about Bikram Yoga, where the heat is turned to 105 degrees and 60% humidity. During the hour and a half session I burn about 450 calories which is a lot more than doing yoga in a regular heated/non heated room. The yoga isn't easy at all, but it is a lot easier in a regular heated room.

My question is, am I really burning more calories because of the heat or is the heat making me work harder, resulting in more calories burned? Or is there another explanation?

Replies

• ThePhatMan
    Options
    You burned more calories. You said it yourself, you worked harder. You may have doubled your calorie loss.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh! I want to know too!! I was wondering if I burn more calories walking in the day when the temp is in the 80's or at night when it's around the 50's. I have heard that drinking cold water burns more calories because your body has to warm the water to your body temperature. I have wondered about the air temp.

Anybody got a good answer?
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Heat will make you sweat more, but cold burns more calories as your body works to maintain your body temp to what is normal.

Just like drinking cold water burns more calories than warm water.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, you do not burn extra calories because of the heat. Your heart rate increases, you fatigue more easily, but those changes have little to do with increased oxygen uptake.

If you are using an HRM, it SEEMS like more because your little number is higher, but this is one of the many situations where HRMs are oblivious to the change in external conditions that seriously degrades their accuracy (even more than usual).
  • icemangj
    Options
    If I remember my science correctly, in an effort to dissipate heat, the body will pump blood to all extremities. When it is cold blood will pull toward the central organs in an effort to contain heat. Thus your fingers and toes get frostbite before the rest of you. Because your blood was naturally pushed and thinned in order to get rid of some of the excess heat your heart is already working harder. I don’t know if you would necessarily burn a greater number of calories, but is essential to be cautious as heat stroke and other related heat ailments are a possibility. Additionally heat increases circulation and blood flow to muscles. It is also wise to be extra cautious not to over exert when doing Bikram, as your muscle tissues are more elastic than usual in the heated environment. You run a greater risk of stretch related injuries from over doing it.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    No, you do not burn extra calories because of the heat. Your heart rate increases, you fatigue more easily, but those changes have little to do with increased oxygen uptake.

If you are using an HRM, it SEEMS like more because your little number is higher, but this is one of the many situations where HRMs are oblivious to the change in external conditions that seriously degrades their accuracy (even more than usual).

Do you think the Body Bugg would give a more accurate reading when temperature is involved?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Do you think the Body Bugg would give a more accurate reading when temperature is involved?

From reading quite a few of his previous posts, I honestly think that he believes all ways of counting calories are inaccurate...so I would personally tell you to simply be consistent using whatever you like. And I also believe that the bodybugg is best at counting calories in different situations. :flowerforyou:
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

From reading quite a few of his previous posts, I honestly think that he believes all ways of counting calories are inaccurate...so I would personally tell you to simply be consistent using whatever you like. And I also believe that the bodybugg is best at counting calories in different situations. :flowerforyou:

Thanks, I'm going to start using both this week to see if there's a difference. As long as the difference isn't hugh, I'm going to stick to using the HRM.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Heat will make you sweat more, but cold burns more calories as your body works to maintain your body temp to what is normal.

Just like drinking cold water burns more calories than warm water.

Correct sir. Actually drinking hot liquids while working out actually causes less persperation then working out and drinking cold liquids.
  • ThePhatMan
    Options
    Calories are energy, it takes more energy to complete a task in high heat. Anyone saying you don't burn more calories exercising in 105 degree temp is an????
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Never Never...You burn the same amount of calories if you exercise at a higher temperature, you sweat more and you feel maybe more tired but It's because you deshydratate more during the exercise, you lose more fluids of your body, and feel tired sooner...I would say It's better to exercise when you have a cool/fresh temp, because you sweat less, fell less tired and you tend to exercise more and put major effort when you do it, so you ended up doing more time and putting more effort during it, and you can burn more calories....A higher temperature won't never make that your hear rate goes up more than if it was cold, it just make you sweat more...Hope you understand!