Am i losing too fast?

Options
Hi!!
I'm a 25 year old female. I started MFP on April 26, a week and a half ago.
My starting weight was 172, and now I'm already down to 166, 6 pounds down.
I've been eating a bit over 1300 net calories a day, and I try to go walking every day as well.
I though that by eating 1300 calories a day I would lose 1.5 pounds a week (at least that's what MFP told me), but I seem to be losing 4 a week...?!
Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to be losing weight at an unhealthy rate.
Maybe right when you start out you lose quickly and then it slows down?
Any advice or experience would be much appreciated!
Thanks!!

Replies

• Emporor_Augustus
    Options
    In my experience weight loss isn't linear... I know a few years back when I cut out pop I dropped 5 pounds in a week. There will be plummets and plateaus, I think. But I'm not an expert.
  • holmjm4
    holmjm4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my experience you usually drop a lot in the first few weeks if you made drastic changes to your lifestyle. Even when I stop my diet for a few months and get back on it the first week is always bigger :) Stick with the plan that MFP is giving you and if you are concerned about your calories go check out some other websites and see what they say you should be taking in. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Initial water weight loss was most of it.

Some was probably from watching sodium better, less retained water there.
    Your body in deficit eating stores less carbs in the muscles. That glycogen stores with water.
    Less water weight.

You will gain that last one back whenever you don't diet or have a bigger than normal carb day or meal.
    But it's good weight, increased metabolism weight, needed weight.
  • jmeister92
    jmeister92 Posts: 5
    Options
    You lose a lot of water weight initially. That's probably what you're seeing now. Like the other person said, weight loss isn't linear, and nor is the scale an accurate measurement for body fat loss. You're going to see plateaus on the scale eventually, but that doesn't mean you're not losing fat. For this reason, I suggest you pay more attention to how you're feeling and how your clothes are fitting than what the scale says. Maybe pick up tape measurements or an electronic "fat monitor" (those aren't that accurate though). Just don't get too hung up on the scale measurements. Good luck.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Your first few weeks you tend to lose a lot, then it slows. I've dropped about 8lbs in 2 weeks, but I know it's going to slow down heaps.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies everyone!