bone density

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Does anyone know how to increase the bone density?
I had been using treadmill for about an hour everyday for 1 year and now my knees are hurting a lot . My doctor advised me to increase my bone density through calcium tablet . I am a bit reluctant taking tablets so anybody knows how to increase it through diet and exercise?

Thanks for any help in advance

Replies

• Kisame29
    Kisame29 Posts: 9,603 Member
    Options
    Walking is actually very good for bone density. "According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, the best exercises for building and maintaining bone density are: Weight-bearing exercise, such as walking, that makes you work against gravity while staying upright. Muscle-strengthening exercise, such as weight lifting, that makes you work against gravity in a standing, sitting, or prone position." (http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guide/osteoporosis-exercise)

That being said, it's still very important to make sure you have the necessary amount of calcium and Vitamin D because your bones need that; so even if you did all the proper exercise, you still need calcium/Vitamin D to maintain proper bone density. If you do not want to take tablets, you can just modify your diet to make sure that you're getting appropriate amounts or go out in the sun more for Vitamin D too. It's actually better to get nutrients through food than vitamin supplementation anyway.

Here are some examples of calcium rich foods: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/10-calcium-rich-foods (Cheese, yogurt, milk, dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens, etc)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Strength training will increase bone density. Walking may help your legs but you should think about the bones in your upper body too. Try incorporating weight lifting or body weight exercises.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Green leafy veg is a great source of calcium. I have read somewhere that calcium tablets are a less effective source of calcium than getting it through your diet.

Any exercise that puts pressure on your bones, should be good for bone density (just make sure you exercise safely).