Resistance bands effective?

Options
Hello everybody,

My names is Tony and I'm new to the site. I wasn't sure about it at first but its been a week so far and its awesome. Had a question about resistance bands though. I've never used them and wanted to know what people thought of them. Are they a waste of time to try and use or totally worth it? Kind of considering buying some.

Replies

• jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Worth it, try bodylastics...

Using them myself, and seeing awesome results

for info..

This guy explains it pretty well.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/raw_training_strength_band/videos/144
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Worth it. They're much less expensive than a weight set, and you can do just about everything you can with free weights, and more if you're creative enough! One "downside" to them is that the resistance level increases the further through the range of motion you get. Like, it is harder at the end of the motion than at the beginning. The only issue with that is our muscles are most effective in the middle of our range of motion, not at the beginning or end. So just be aware of this fact. Also be prepared to do higher reps with bands, and make sure you control your motion in both directions, or else you might hurt yourself if you just let your muscles relax and let the band pull you back to starting position.

Good luck!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,001 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    :drinker: I think they're great and as an extra advantage, you can take them with you easily in a backpack or suitcase :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I don't think they're nearly as effective as actual heavy weights, dumbbell and barbell exercises will always be supreme for building actual muscle mass. But yeah they're effective for sure, and convenient.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands do work. I'm not the biggest fan of them, I prefer dumbbells but resistance bands are really great especially if you are low on space and don't want to buy extra equipment.