Atkins Diet

Options
I want to try the Atkins diet and just want to know if anyone else is or has done it and does it work.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a balanced diet with calorie restriction if you want to lose weight. Just make sure you're getting plenty of protein and fat as those two macronutrients will keep you full, but there's nothing wrong with carbs too.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I did it many years ago, it does work but is not sustainable, it also makes you feel pretty crap and makes your breath STINK!
    Eat at a calorie deficit and move about more, your body will thank you for eating well.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I want to try the Atkins diet and just want to know if anyone else is or has done it and does it work.

Yep, worked for me. >50 lb lost and kept off.

www.atkins.com/Home.aspx
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been on a keto diet, which is very similar. Works great. After "hell week" when my body was still adjusting [it was more like 3 days] and I was craving carbs, I felt good. The first time I did it, I lost 30 lbs. in about 3 months. Reached my goal weight, went back to eating carbs, didn't gain a single pound back. Now I wanna lose a few more pounds, I'm back on it. The second time around it is much easier adjusting, I'm back in ketosis after about a day.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Followed it perfectly and it didn't deliver as promised.
  • Zdehni
    Zdehni Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you are experienced with the Ketogenic diet. I've been almost carb-less for days and high intake of fat and protein.
    I cant find a restaurant in my area that sells Ketone test strips.

Any other way to know if im in Ketosis already?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a calorie deficit anything will work. Why not try just eating normal foods just less of them.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you are experienced with the Ketogenic diet. I've been almost carb-less for days and high intake of fat and protein.
    I cant find a restaurant in my area that sells Ketone test strips.

Any other way to know if im in Ketosis already?

I dunno about other ways but I got my Ketone test strips from CVS pharmacy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

A lot of people have success on the Aitkins diet and on the flip side a lot of people find it unsustainable (some not all).

Will it work for you, if you follow it correctly I should think the answer will be yes - will you find it sustainable? until you try it who know.

I think it is free (you would need to check the website, I'm not too sure).

Give it a go and find out.

Good luck.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    "Atkins" is now a brand, owned by Roark capital group.

They market 'low-carb' products, books, etc.

The principals of the diet are the same as any LCHF (Low-Carb / High-Fat) diet, which are also moderate in protein, and you can get all the information on the diets free online if you spend some time researching.

LCHF diets work extremely well for a subset of the population - Especially the morbidly obese or anyone with glycaemic (blood sugar) control issues.

It doesn't matter if you have Type I or Type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, or insulin-resistance from PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis or any other reason - LCHF diets are demonstrably superior to any other for glycaemic control, and are highly effective for weight-loss, lipid profile (cholesterol ratio, triglycerides, etc.).

They also work well for those who have difficulty controlling carbohydrate cravings when they ingest carbohydrate ... (since it's low in carbohydrate, obviously.)

If you don't fall into one of the above categories, it may still work well for you, but will likely work no-better than any other moderately calorie-restricted diet that's nutritionally complete.

And regardless of what some people say (ie: Gary Taubes and others) it DOES work best with exercise. Unfortunately there are those that claim that exercise does little to improve weight-loss, and there are so many reasons that's wrong it needs a whole different thread.