No will power :(

Options

Replies

• chasingdreams18
    chasingdreams18 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My weight loss never stuck until I went to counseling and got help understanding my emotions and the things that were driving me to eat. You need to fix the underlying issue before the weight loss will ever become permanent.

^^^^^ Agree!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said, you need to deal with what's causing you to eat. Until you either do that it's not going to stop.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You have will power...otherwise you would have given up! So, give yourself a lot of credit!

Food is yummy, it is all around us all the time, of course it is going to be tough. You're still on your journey (as I am) so give yourself a hug and take it one step at a time.

Have you tried tracking when you eat as well as what you eat? I find that my willpower is much stronger if I eat breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner. I preplan my MFP daily diary, have those foods ready the night before (if not the complete meal/snack then the ingredients on the counter or on the fridge shelf.)

A lot of this, I found, is just adjusting my environment...having foods which sate me readily available, putting foods I can't eat in moderation out of sight, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stop labeling foods as "unhealthy." It's a meaningless distinction that just adds stress to your life. Hit your calorie and nutrient goals, using any foods you want to eat that fit your goals.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

My emotions are attached to food and i have an overwhelming desire to eat unhealthy food all the time.

you need to deal with the feelings that you currently just eat.

Maybe try speaking to someone, so you can learn some coping mechanisms that are better than eating.

This is good advice. Most people don't realize that this is a huge part of losing the weight and keeping it off. Deal with the mind stuff, too.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try a smaller goal for now. That helped me realize things can be done. So instead of facing the 30lb mark- try for 15lbs then focus on another 15lbs. Also, don't panic. You always have the choice to keep going, so do it. Another thing that helped me was the "dream board". I went to the dollar store and picked up some poster board, used some sharpies, and old magazine cut outs. I labeled every fitness goal I wanted. Small and large. But make sure when doing this, you create at least 2 emotional/mental goals. Meaning, your mind focus must be just as strong as your physical output. If you do not work on mental as well as physical your goals will be difficult to acheive. Take your time to work on these. Life is about practice, not perfection.
    But everyone is entitled to feel really guilty or off somedays, its up to you how to fuel your fire and find your push. So look at this as a hiccup and push for what you want.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your will is your desire. It isn't a matter of "will power," but rather a matter of your desire. If you want to JSF, then continue on the "See Food Diet." If you want to shed fat, then eat a diet with a caloric deficit and hit your protein and fat minimums. If you "can't" do that, then it isn't something you really desire, more like a wish.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's about the small things you change.

Cutting back on the junk food will help (as opposed to cutting it out totally).

Or sometimes it takes cutting it out totally to break the habit of eating the trigger foods.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My weight loss never stuck until I went to counseling and got help understanding my emotions and the things that were driving me to eat. You need to fix the underlying issue before the weight loss will ever become permanent.

^^^ I second that! Find therapist who specializes in eating disorders!
    \

+1
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    This is such a complex issue and something I'm struggling with, myself.

Quick advice that helped me: Just because you screw up with your calorie goal one day doesn't mean you have to screw up for the rest of the month. One defeat does not mean total defeat forever. Let your frustration from one defeat fuel your motivation to make the next day a victory.

This stuff is tough. Life was simpler when we were running to or from wild animals for food or survival. Now, pre-made crap practically throws itself at you and your survival instincts say eat it. We're all in the same boat. Hang in there!
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This stuff is tough. Life was simpler when we were running to or from wild animals for food or survival. Now, pre-made crap practically throws itself at you and your survival instincts say eat it. We're all in the same boat. Hang in there!

wut

I wish we had time machines, so people could experience the "simpler times".
    Just cause you see food doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with it.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

wut

I wish we had time machines, so people could experience the "simpler times".
    Just cause you see food doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with it.

Are you saying that survival instincts don't tell you to eat more than is healthy for us? I thought that was a good deal of the problem, your body wants the sugar and fat and surplus to carry around. I don't think it's healthy, but it was probably a good thing when food wasn't so abundant (thinking of cavemen). I don't fully understand what you disagree with? In the wild, food is the name of the game. Most animals spend all of their time searching for food and then mating periodically. From my understanding, humans weren't really any different until we started to figure out this society thing.
  • Vigilance88
    Options
    I disagree you blaming the abundance of food ("pre-made crap practically throws itself at you").

My brain tells me to eat when I'm hungry, not when I see a MC Donald's sign. Hunger/satiety is an entire different thing. If you were used to stuffing yourself with 4000 cals daily, you are 'hungry' at 2000 cals. It's a matter of what your body and mind is used to.
    Comparing human instincts to other animals is pretty far fetched too, since we rarely deal with such situations. I don't think seeing MC Donald's --> ordering big macs is an instinct.

We also have significantly better and longer lives. Let's use our evolved brains and enjoy everything in moderation.
    If you want to live as a caveman go ahead :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I disagree you blaming the abundance of food ("pre-made crap practically throws itself at you").

My brain tells me to eat when I'm hungry, not when I see a MC Donald's sign. Hunger/satiety is an entire different thing. If you were used to stuffing yourself with 4000 cals daily, you are 'hungry' at 2000 cals. It's a matter of what your body and mind is used to.
    Comparing human instincts to other animals is pretty far fetched too, since we rarely deal with such situations. I don't think seeing MC Donald's --> ordering big macs is an instinct.

We also have significantly better and longer lives. Let's use our evolved brains and enjoy everything in moderation.
    If you want to live as a caveman go ahead :drinker:

^^ True

And the difference between humans and the animal kingdom is that we have free will. We can make choices because, unlike animals, we are not bound by instinct.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I must not be articulating myself very well. I've seen plenty of documentaries that say humans are prone to stocking up on food due to survival instincts. Sort of like how men are pigs (b/c we're coded to spread the seed) and women are more nurturing (b/c they're coded to raise families). That's just the way it was, as I've been told and from what I've read. I realize that those two things I just said are considered stereotypes now and most people will shout me down as a bigot or something, but at least I admitted they are stereotypes, not universal truths.

Anyway, I guess no one feels that humans are coded to intake food when they have it, to compensate for food shortages and unknowns down the road. It's weird to get that reaction, because I've never heard anyone say differently about early humans or the way our bodies are programmed. I don't ever recall saying we didn't have free will or the ability to exercise will power, just that food is extremely abundant (we don't have to hunt / forage for it) and it's easier to listen to those "stock up" instincts.

Honestly, both of your responses confuse me. I don't get how this isn't making sense...

Apologies if I'm not explaining myself very well.

ETA: Obviously, we aren't cave people, women don't have to be nurturing or "prude," men don't have to be cheating, objectifying sex maniacs with multiple partners, and humans don't need to stock up on food. I'm just saying that instincts from early humans have left their marks on us, at least with some people and to some degree. Saying that everything I said is NOT true makes about as much sense as my saying it would be true for EVERYONE.
  • Vigilance88
    Options
    Were you watching doomsday preppers? :D

Sorry. Seriously though, I get your angle. It is easier to get food so its easier to overeat. I still don't think you should blame the abundance of food for someones lack of willpower. And the "stocking up instinct" I've personally never heard of. I don't see the causality.
  • TAMSMI23
    TAMSMI23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are struggling with will power. I recommend an appetite suppressant until you've had at least 28 days to build some good habits. For me eating better is harder than quitting cigarettes. If your problem is drinking or smoking, you have to wait special times to have it, you certainly can't have it at work. If you have a drinking or smoking problem, no one encourages you to have a drink or smoke because they know its' bad for you, so it makes it easier to avoid. Food however is one of those things that's everywhere and no one is going to stop you when you are feeling weak. Every week cakes in the office, parties, cookouts, you can't get away and there is certainly no shortage of people saying, just one won't hurt, but that's how we got in trouble in the first place.

Try to surround yourself with like minded people. Find an outlet to channel your emotions when you are stressed like cleaning or exercising every time you feel the urge. Writing about your journal will help you log your trigger points and avoid them in the future. Don't give up. The alternative is getting sick and not being functional. Food kills us slowly when we make bad choices but it's still the center of all celebrations, weddings, parties, and other enjoyable things, just make smart choices and you'll be able to make some progress.:smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

This. Something internal is holding you back. I highly recommend counseling.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice so far, and I know what helps me is to be mindful of how much worse I'll feel after I give in to the temptation. The fun of eating is far outweighed by the misery of losing control, the feeling of failure/guilt, and the ultimate result of staying at an unhealthy weight. I finally got to the point where it became a much easier choice. Also, getting moving with some exercise will give you almost immediate mental results and quick physical results too.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Seriously though, I get your angle. It is easier to get food so its easier to overeat. I still don't think you should blame the abundance of food for someones lack of willpower. And the "stocking up instinct" I've personally never heard of. I don't see the causality.

The fact is, our bodies evolved during times of food scarcity, and they evolved to store energy as fat when food was plentiful. They also evolved to protect those energy stores.

Now, in an era of cheap, tasty, calorie-dense food, it is trivial to become overweight, and that is why most Americans are overweight. Humans do not have a calorie gas gauge. If you don't count your calories, and you just eat when you feel hungry and eat "typical" foods until you are not hungry anymore, and do that three times a day, odds are very high that you will be eating a calorie surplus without even knowing it.

And it only takes a 3% surplus over several years to become overweight.

Worse, it appears that once you get fat, your body will fight to maintain that level of fat storage by reducing your metabolism and increasing feelings of hunger. Someone who has lost weight will have a metabolism that is 12-20% lower than someone of the same body mass who was never overweight. And they have tracked this in people who have maintained their weight loss for years, which means the effect may be permanent.

That is why it is so hard to lose weight. As my psychologist friend told me years ago, weight loss is basically an exercise in pain tolerance. Most people can't endure it long term which is why 80%-97% of people who try to lose weight fail long term.

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20