Alli users?

Options
Hi, my name is Lisa and I am not new here, just kind of on again, off again...I would like to change that habit, and now that I am out of school hopefully I can. I was wondering if there are any alli users on here? I need to lose 50+ lbs, and have such a hard time doing so. Between stress over the last year, and just a general non motivational mind frame, I have gained another 10 lbs to what I was already overweight. My doctor suggested I try alli, (of course with exercise) to help me get started. I am hearing about some side effects and would like to know if they are too bothersome to even try.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The side effects sound horrific, and there are plenty of stories here on the boards about people and their awful experiences with that stuff. I am surprised it's still on the market!

Use the search feature and search Alli - you'll find plenty of advice and info.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I was young and stupid once and tried it because I was looking for a get skinny quick fix. The leakage is terrible. If you do take it, plan on changing your bed sheets every night and always carry around multiple pairs of underwear.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the eat at a deficit method, and include some form of exercise? I mean, really, truly, tried it for long than 1 week? Quick fixed rarely work, you already know that. Real, sustainable change can happen without scary things like Alli.

Doesn't that stuff make you poop all day erry day?
  • kelcheese
    kelcheese Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I used it for 5 months and lost 50 pounds. You have to be mindful of your eating, but you do not poop your pants like everyone is saying! You need to watch your fat intake because that would be the cause of loose, or greasy stool. Good luck on your jouney. Kelly
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor!!!

Being a Dr. does not make you all knowing or right, it just means you can pass a test..
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The Mayo clinic appears to not be a fan:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/alli/art-20047908

I would suggest a modest calorie deficit, exercise and taking it slow. Pills and potions promising fast results aren't something that is sustainable in the long term and would seem to me to promote unhealthy lifestyles generally.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    In for the scoots
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eff, people are so damn lazy :explode:

Eat at a deficit to lose the weight and exercise to maintain in good physical shape. THAT'S ALL.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I was young and stupid once and tried it because I was looking for a get skinny quick fix. The leakage is terrible. If you do take it, plan on changing your bed sheets every night and always carry around multiple pairs of underwear.
    Mmm, this sounds delicious.

I love how doctor's are so quick to recommend this crap (bahaha) when most of them are overweight themselves. Like I am going to take advice from my 200+ lbs doctor :noway:

ETA: spelling.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This review helps a lot of people make up their mind about Alli: http://thewvsr.com/alli.htm
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. You'll poop your pants.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I used it for 5 months and lost 50 pounds. You have to be mindful of your eating, but you do not poop your pants like everyone is saying! You need to watch your fat intake because that would be the cause of loose, or greasy stool. Good luck on your jouney. Kelly

The issue with doing it is that you need a low fat diet or you get leakage, but fat is healthy and required for many of the body's functions and vitamin and mineral absorption, healthy hair, nail, digestive tract, skin, etc.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    :laugh: dont take it on a first date
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I used it for a while. A long time ago. But, you will not poop your pants...unless you eat too much fat. Then you will get greasy, oily, poop leakage. Or if you fart...oil. My friend called them "squirty pills" and rightly so. When you do poop, expect to see oil coming out.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No to pills! A friend of mine tried this Alli crap a few years ago, she would leak bright orange stuff and I was so alarmed and worried for her. Stay away!!!!!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Message Boards>>Getting Sharted>>Reply to Topic

:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Egads, no. Not necessary and likely to lead to some very interesting stories...

..so if you decide to ignore this advice, please make a note in your calendar to give us an update in a few months.

*shudder*
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just wish they would make an Alli-type pill that would combat "added sugars"...but only the "added" kind...not the healthy fruit kind. Surely they can create a pill that differentiates between these, right?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This review helps a lot of people make up their mind about Alli: http://thewvsr.com/alli.htm

I would never take Alli anyway but I read that and um...let's see, I can't even think of an appropriate description without getting a strike of the side effects