Question about weighing fruit and veggies(don't laugh!)

Options
2»

Replies

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I actually eat. So I would weigh a banana without the peel, and an apple without the core. I think that accuracy is the key, and if you are having several 50 calorie errors a day, you could be doing yourself a disservice in the end!

I don't weigh stuff like 1 banana...I just log "1 large banana" or whatever. Here's my reason...yes you could have several 50 calorie errors in a day but when you are eating at a daily defecit of 500 calories or more a day that adds up to 3,500 calorie defecit a week...50 calories here or there is not going to make or break your weight loss. Also, that 1 large banana is just as likely to be 50 calories less than how you log it as 50 calories more. In my book, it all pretty much evens out in the end. I weigh my meat and grains...not much else. To each there own, but I wouldn't stress about it.
    10 50 calorie mistakes in a day will erase your deficit. That's the number one reason behind all those "Why am I not losing weight?" posts.

Yes agreed! I try to be as accurate as possible for my own learning purposes even though it may not always be necessary but, hey, to each their own.

Agree to disagree. I have never had a problem with this and lose weight very consistently. I don't worry much about fruits and veggies because they tend to be so low cal anyway. I think an estimate is fine. I guess I can see how this wouldn't work for everyone, but it isn't something all of us need to do to lose weight. It seems to me a 50 calorie difference would be hard to get in most of the things I eat anyway...4 cups of popcorn at 130 calories I'd have to over measure by quite a bit to make than much of a dent much less do that 5 times a day.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I weigh the product I eat. So for bananas, yes I check the before & after to see what the difference is.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I actually eat. So I would weigh a banana without the peel, and an apple without the core. I think that accuracy is the key, and if you are having several 50 calorie errors a day, you could be doing yourself a disservice in the end!

To some this might seem anal, but it's exactly what you need to do if you REALLY want to be accurate about what you're eating. Weigh what you actually eat, and weigh your food before you cook it (things such as meat, pasta, etc.)
  • Boosier3
    Boosier3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Like most of the other posts, I just weigh what I eat. Unpeel the clementine and weigh just the fruit, etc. The only fruit I have found to be tricky is bing cherries. It's not practical to keep the pits till I get home from work to subtract the difference! :) So they got logged with the weight of fruit and pits. :)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I don't weigh stuff like 1 banana...I just log "1 large banana" or whatever. Here's my reason...yes you could have several 50 calorie errors in a day but when you are eating at a daily defecit of 500 calories or more a day that adds up to 3,500 calorie defecit a week...50 calories here or there is not going to make or break your weight loss. Also, that 1 large banana is just as likely to be 50 calories less than how you log it as 50 calories more. In my book, it all pretty much evens out in the end. I weigh my meat and grains...not much else. To each there own, but I wouldn't stress about it.
    10 50 calorie mistakes in a day will erase your deficit. That's the number one reason behind all those "Why am I not losing weight?" posts.

Yes agreed! I try to be as accurate as possible for my own learning purposes even though it may not always be necessary but, hey, to each their own.

Agree to disagree. I have never had a problem with this and lose weight very consistently. I don't worry much about fruits and veggies because they tend to be so low cal anyway. I think an estimate is fine. I guess I can see how this wouldn't work for everyone, but it isn't something all of us need to do to lose weight. It seems to me a 50 calorie difference would be hard to get in most of the things I eat anyway...4 cups of popcorn at 130 calories I'd have to over measure by quite a bit to make than much of a dent much less do that 5 times a day.

I also usually just log it as 1 large banana or apple etc. on occasion I'll weigh it just to get an idea of how much it is. The extra 50 calories that I'm over estimating doesn't hurt me. Now some of the higher calorie things like avocado I have been know to weigh more consistently.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing fruit. I just log it as 1 piece of whatever fruit. It's all an estimation anyways and 100 calories here or there isn't going to hurt anything.
  • MoosyGoosy
    MoosyGoosy Posts: 44
    Options
    People don't eat the skin on apples? o_O
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If I am taking fruit for lunch, I weigh it with peel, core, etc in the morning and eat what I will then throw out the stuff I don't eat.
    I refuse to bring back my core and peel and weigh when I get home. I have a hard enough time weighing and recording to begin with.

Also I am not able or willing to bring a scale around with me, in my line of work it is not possible. Plus I have enough stuff that I am required to bring with me that its already too much.

If I am using fruit or veggies in a meal/recipe and actually prepping them, then I weigh what I am eating.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If I am taking fruit for lunch, I weigh it with peel, core, etc in the morning and eat what I will then throw out the stuff I don't eat.
    I refuse to bring back my core and peel and weigh when I get home. I have a hard enough time weighing and recording to begin with.

Also I am not able or willing to bring a scale around with me, in my line of work it is not possible. Plus I have enough stuff that I am required to bring with me that its already too much.

If I am using fruit or veggies in a meal/recipe and actually prepping them, then I weigh what I am eating.

It would be more accurate to log your fruit as "1 [size] apple," than to weigh the fruit with the refuse. With the apple size estimation, the law of averages would eventually take care of the discrepancy. The way you're doing it now, you've probably logged 1,000's of calories you never ate if you eat an apple at lunch every week day.