Running and leg day

Options
BigT555
BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
Just curious as to how fellow MFP users handle balancing running and leg day at the gym. currently i do mon-chest/tri's wed-legs fri-back/shoulders/bi's as my gym routine, but i want to start running or doing sprints on rest days now that the weather is getting nicer. i find it hard as hell to get out after leg day but if i dont run on thursdays that only leaves 3 days of the week for runs, 2 of which are the weekend where i cant always guarantee ill get out

do you guys power through the pain or just take the day after doing legs as a rest day? am i potentially over training my legs if i run the day after working legs?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways - running on leg day and running the day after. They both suck, tbh. There are times when I have felt strong and times not so much. If I am sore, it seems to alleviate the soreness for a bit, but then it comes back in spades.

As a rule, I try NOT to run on leg day. I don't know what science says about it, but I am thinking it could very well be counterproductve.....
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My long runs are on Saturday, and I lift three times a week.

So:

Monday: 5/3/1 deadlift day

Wednesday: 5/3/1 squat day (aka leg day)

Friday: 5/3/1 bench and ohp day

So this gives me 3 days to recover from leg day until my long run, and about 4 days to recover from my long run before hitting leg day again. I keep my runs during the week to just 3-4 miles, so they don't impact my lifting as much. And I don't usually run on leg day...if I do I lift first that day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I happen to deal with my joints flaring 24/7 due to a disease so my routine might not work for you. I usually run every day just because my body needs the movement to combat the disease.

Sounds like you are lifting to gain or maintain muscle and running for health benefits I would run either immediately after my leg day routine, or a few hours afterwards(if you are feeling a little tired). Which ever my body/brain was feeling up to. There is one particular cardio that will also build muscle if you happen to be eating at a surplus. Hill sprints, is used by many body builders for this reason. I personally think weighted sled drags also will do this...but that has yet to be proven. Regardless for me if I run hill repeat sprints immediately after your workout, it gives me adequate recovery time.

Some people run the day before leg day, which takes away from performance of lifting.

Some run the day after, which really isn't giving the muscles adequate rest.
  • george147
    george147 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been training for a race so I foolishly skipped leg days, ran every other day and then arms the days between - then when I tried to do my old legs routine my calves were in agony for 4 days after so I couldn't really do much at all.

So whatever you do - don't do what I did!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't have a leg day but I do squats or lunges at least 3x a week. I run usually 6 days a week and lift 3 days a week. I also do a longer run on Saturdays and one speed work (or two) during the week. Depending on my schedule, I do my barbell squats when it will give me at least a day to recover before a long run or speed workout - so usually Sunday.

but, for example, yesterday I was lifting upper body but incorporated squat jumps, jumping lunges, plie squats with rows, and weighted lunges. I just don't go until fatigue as I know I'm doing interval running this afternoon.

I'm also too scatter brained to follow any actual plan or routine but this works for me!
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Why not try running after your upper body work out days on Mondays and Fridays, Tuesdays, and one or both weekend days? Just skip running Wed and Thurs to give your legs a chance to rest... Even a short run is more productive than pushing yourself when your legs are too tired and coming up with an injury.

Good luck!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Run on your upper days.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I never run on the day I work Legs but have found any cardio (running, cycling, etc.) a day or two after Legs Day actually helps with DOMS.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I never run on the day I work Legs but have found any cardio (running, cycling, etc.) a day or two after Legs Day actually helps with DOMS.

I'm so glad I saw this! I have terrible DOMS... Starts the next evening and lasts up to 3 days, so I'm quite often constantly sore all week. I do legs Tues,arms Thurs, heavy cardio Fri. I'm just starting C25K, mon, wed, sat... So was wondering if there was a lack of recovery there and how my legs would feel running after a leg/cardio day. I also hike on weekends... Maybe I need to scale something back a bit.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Why not try running after your upper body work out days on Mondays and Fridays, Tuesdays, and one or both weekend days? Just skip running Wed and Thurs to give your legs a chance to rest... Even a short run is more productive than pushing yourself when your legs are too tired and coming up with an injury.

Good luck!
    trying to avoid having cardio and lifting on the same day haha but it looks like thats the direction im heading