Is Trans Fat Always Really "The Devil" Like Everyone Says?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
I've heard numerous times from numerous sources to avoid all trans fats whenever I see it on the label, PERIOD. Man-made, partially hydrogenated oil, in the form of trans fats, are dangerous to our health. I get it.
However, recently I bought all natural beef patties containing 100% grass fed beef only (I checked the ingredient list to make sure), and it contains 2 grams of trans fat per serving! Horrified, I did research, and discovered that cows fed grass metabolize it differently, thus contributing some trans fat to the beef.
Yet, this form of trans fat technically isn't "man made," and everyone seems to support grass-fed over grain-fed cattle. So what now? Is this healthy, even though it's still trans fats? I thought ALL trans fats were terrible?
I read many online websites, some concluding that this version was healthy, others rebuking these claims.
What is your opinion? Should I keep purchasing these beef patties, or switch back to grain-fed to avoid this fat?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    There are naturally occurring "trans fats" that are metabolized completely differently than artificially created "trans fats." CLA is the big one and it's actually good for your health.

That said, naturally occurring trans fats don't show up on labels. So if your patties have trans fat is most likely artificially created trans fat. If you want to know if a food has trans fat you just have to look at the ingrediants. Any partially hydogenated oil listed in the ingredients means it has the bad trans fats. You can't trust the "trans fat" label on the nutrition section b/c there is often less than 0.5 grams per servings.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Most all cooked beef has some trans fat...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've heard numerous times from numerous sources to avoid all trans fats whenever I see it on the label, PERIOD. Man-made, partially hydrogenated oil, in the form of trans fats, are dangerous to our health. I get it.
    However, recently I bought all natural beef patties containing 100% grass fed beef only (I checked the ingredient list to make sure), and it contains 2 grams of trans fat per serving! Horrified, I did research, and discovered that cows fed grass metabolize it differently, thus contributing some trans fat to the beef.
    Yet, this form of trans fat technically isn't "man made," and everyone seems to support grass-fed over grain-fed cattle. So what now? Is this healthy, even though it's still trans fats? I thought ALL trans fats were terrible?
    I read many online websites, some concluding that this version was healthy, others rebuking these claims.
    What is your opinion? Should I keep purchasing these beef patties, or switch back to grain-fed to avoid this fat?

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

Rebuttal

http://www.plosone.org/annotation/listThread.action?root=895
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Natural trans fat no!

Man made trans fat - yes!

Also I would avoid interesterified fat (another man made fat).

As the poster above commented the processed food manufacturers do not have to label trans fat on any product containing less than 0.5g.

The American Heart Association suggests that you only eat 2 grams a day. So on say a 2000 calorie diet, anyone eating processed food is probably getting there 2g and some, without even knowing it.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't worry too much about natural trans fats in beef etc, but I do limit my consumption of partially hydrogenated oils ("man made" trans fats). I think that is line with the WHO recommendation, and the second link Acg67 provided.