Eating healthy help

Options
Really trying with eating healthier rather than just eating low cals and have made some adjustments to my diet starting today.

Can someone have a look at my diary and see how it looks to you?

I have gone slightly over on my carbs, fat and protein are these such bad things? And I need help on upping my calcium. I wanted to have a glass of milk as a snack also but misjudged the cals in the breakfast bars so had double the amount I should have done. Fail lol.

Are calories the thing i should be concentrating on the most?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Make it public please
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    have done now =) sorry did it just after I posted this. Thanks for quick response tho =)
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Looks fine. I would try to up your protein quite a bit. MFP always has such low recommendations for protein even for a woman. Also, if you're trying to really hone in on the weight loss, counting calories is really the only thing that will make a difference in your weight loss. Going over on carbs, sugar, and sodium rarely matters unless you have a health condition. Its perfectly fine to have sweets as long as they fit into your day :D

Also, eating more protein will help keep you full longer!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Greens have calcium (and are low in cals)! Try things like kale, collard greens, spinach...etc.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    How is it that you have calories left, but are over on all 3 macro nutrients? Something isn't right with one of your entries.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Definitely add more veggies. Try to eat some at every meal. They are low in cals and high in nutrients. Also, MFP seems to set carbs a little high and fat/protein a little low. You can adjust those. I find that eating about the same grams of each keeps me feeling full & satisfied more. Especially at breakfast (less carbs, more fat & protein).
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a professional weight loss clinic, so I will just tell you what they would tell me if that were my diary:
    -Strive for a bit more protein- up it maybe 10-15 g
    -Spread your calories out more into smaller meals throughout the day. Keep your meals to 250-300 calories. (Yeah, I thought that sounded ludicrous at first, but it's not as difficult as it seems).
    -Aim for a better protein:carb ratio in all your foods (especially at breakfast). The golden rule I've been told is that if the number of carbs is more than 3 times the number of protein grams, avoid that food.

I'd say you're doing a good job though!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Are calories the thing i should be concentrating on the most?

Yes, calories are the most important from a weight-loss perspective. From a general health perspective, their nutrient goals are in-line with the USDA guidelines, so good to to meet! I applaud you for adding milk to try to get in your calcium. Sodium is set to 2300mg-- which is the current recommended maximum to avoid health complications. If you're at high risk of heart or blood pressure diseases, then it's reduced to 1500mg/day.

With respect to the macronutrient ratios, there is some wiggle room if you don't like them. The AMDRs (intakes without adverse health effects) have wider bands-- so extra protein is fine, especially if you have trouble feeling full. :)
    AMDR for carbohydrate is 45%-65%, fat is 20%-35% and of protein is 10%-35% of your total Kcal intake.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    How is it that you have calories left, but are over on all 3 macro nutrients? Something isn't right with one of your entries.

Excellent find!

For today's entries based on your macros: You should have 621 calories from protein, 176 calories from fat, and 624 calories from carbs (based on what you entered), That is 1421 calories, way more than what you entered. Something is off.
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    I should have said my breakfast bar was this minus the coconut and I used quinoa instead of quinoa flakes - www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2014/02/pb2-quinoa-granola-bars.html?m=1

and my salad was: 1 cup of lettuce, half a cup of spinach, 4 cherry tomatos, 28g of walnuts and 1 boiled egg.

Thank you dmenchac. I do feel full today. Not sure if it is because I'm in the rite mindset tho. We'll see how long it lasts!

And Thank you SnicciFit. There was spinach in my salad (sorry I should have said) but I know i need to up it. ANd I'm not sure what macro nutrients are but I'm assumin i have gone over mainly due to the breakfast bars and salad contents? What should the carbs level be? I'm assumin I ave gone way over then? Are some carbs better then others tho? I will only be eating one bar tomorrow just miscalculated today x
  • dmenchac
    Options
    EDIT
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I should have said my breakfast bar was this minus the coconut and I used quinoa instead of quinoa flakes - www.deliciousasitlooks.com/2014/02/pb2-quinoa-granola-bars.html?m=1

and my salad was: 1 cup of lettuce, half a cup of spinach, 4 cherry tomatos, 28g of walnuts and 1 boiled egg.

Thank you dmenchac. I do feel full today. Not sure if it is because I'm in the rite mindset tho. We'll see how long it lasts!

And Thank you SnicciFit. There was spinach in my salad (sorry I should have said) but I know i need to up it. ANd I'm not sure what macro nutrients are but I'm assumin i have gone over mainly due to the breakfast bars and salad contents? What should the carbs level be? I'm assumin I ave gone way over then? Are some carbs better then others tho? I will only be eating one bar tomorrow just miscalculated today x

4 calories per gram of protein, 4 calories per grams of carbs, and 9 calories per grams of fat.
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    I just logged what I found when searched I'll try another one - is it not the chicken breast? just seen you have edited?
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I just logged what I found when searched I'll try another one - is it not the chicken breast? just seen you have edited?

Don't do that!!

Weigh your solid foods and measure your liquids. You very well may have eaten over 200 extra calories today.
  • dmenchac
    Options

The chicken breast is off. I edited cause I didnt want to double post but I forgot to add it back in lol
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options

Don't do that!!

Weigh your solid foods and measure your liquids. You very well may have eaten over 200 extra calories today.

I did weigh it out for 100g?
  • dying_2b_skin3
    Options
    I have changed it does that look better?
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options

+1 - Be as accurate as you can when you log. Portion underestimation can mean eating a few hundred extra calories.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    beware the accuracy of the entried in the database especially those that are entered by users

many users don't enter all the macros and micros accurately

you mentioned calcium, just this morning I found some milk and cheese entries that had no calcium data

you can usually "sanity check" entries: look at teh 100g entries and check that the micros and macros are not null unreasonably (dairy products and greens should have some calcium) and do the macro<>calorie check calculation
    if it doesn't add up it's a hinky entry and is probably wrong. if in doubt make your own entry

you mentioned cups of solids in your post, for best accuracy you should be weighing (in grams) all solids and using a calibrated measuring jug ( ml) for fluids

eating "good" foods is great - but if you eat more of them than you need (calorie goal) then you will not loose weight
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Did you set your own calorie goals? Or protein/carb/fat goals?