I need motivation. Gained back all the weight I lost

Long story short:

I joined MFP 2 years ago, starting weight 165. I did great, I felt great, and got to my goal of 140, slowly but surely. It took me about 6 months to lose the weight. I was able to maintain that weight for about 1 year (+/- a few lbs).

After the stress of Hurricane Sandy (I literally gained 7 lbs the week we were without power because I couldn't exercise and no healthy food was available to us so we ate canned food for a while) and the horrific winter we just had, the weight slowly crept back and I'm back at 165.

I KNOW what I have to do to lose the weight ANDK KEEP it off. I just don't have the motivation to do it. My first motivation came from a wedding I was going to come out in. I'm going to Greece on June 13....you would think that would have made me want to get my asss into shape....but no. I'm so down that I don't even want to get dressed anymore. Nothing fits me so I only wear work-out clothes or long dresses. I'm not even looking forward to this trip, which I know I'm lucky and blessed to be able to take.

I'm a mom and always put a happy face for my daughter, but when she goes to sleep, I just sulk and beat myself up for letting myself get this way again. I have no support system. No friends nearby and no family that would want to work-out with me.

I've always been the chunky one (out of 4 sisters). I've always struggled with my weight since as far as I can remember (12 years old). I'm tired of this. I'm literally tired. Maybe I'm just meant to be heavy?

I know that exercising and eating well is good for you and will make me feel better, but I just can't seem to start!!!

P.S. My mom, who is a certified nutritionist and one of the healthiest people I have ever known, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in January. This was such a shock to us. How could this happen to someone that takes such good care of themselves? I know it sounds crazy, but it makes me think that no matter what we do to lead a healthy lifestyle, especially what we eat, it really doesn't make a difference in the long run. She's on her 2nd cycle of chemo and she is now a shell of her former self. That strong, healthy woman is gone.

OK. I'm just rambling, so I'll stop.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    You make a decision. You make that same decision every day. Time will pass either way. Do you want to stay where you are or do you want to change?

Here are some tips...
    Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    The same thing has happened to me. I think the main reason was the winter months being so cold and just a bit of seasonal depression. It's taken a few months, but I've FINALLY gotten back on track. What helps a lot is not buying any unhealthy food at all, and watching my spending/budget so that I don't have money for fast food or junk.

Also, I would make goals for yourself with exercise! Like to make it to at lesat 50 miles per month, or something around that. It could be running/walking with your daughter, whatever you'd like! You just have to find motivation in yourself and your daughter. You DESERVE to be healthy and DESERVE to be in wonderful shape. But the only person stopping you is you, and the only person that can break this streak is you.

You can do it!

Also, looking online for new healthy recipes or new fun workouts helps me stay motivated! :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    <-- not a psychologist, but you sound kind of depressed, have you talked with your doctor? you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself, we're our own worst critics, try to think of it this way; if you wouldn't say it to a friend, you shouldn't say it to yourself. maybe the motivation will come back when a positive attitude does.
  • JOrmerod
    JOrmerod Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in the same boat! I lost 35lbs last year, and over the winter had gained it back via stress and the catch 22 cycle that happens when stressed and busy at work (eating out, not food logging, etc.)

A friend and I are doing the 17 Day Diet right now and are back on track. It really just takes putting a line in the sand and stepping over it towards positive change!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Gaining the weight back is one of my biggest fears. I always gain it back and I have absolutely no idea how to do maintenance. I'm basically at my goal weight but I just can't bring myself to switch to maintenance yet. I just keep saying, a few more pounds then I'll do it. I just have to wrap my head around the fact that I will always have to weigh myself and my food and continue to track everything I eat if I want to maintain. If I don't then I know I will eventually start eating larger quantities, the quality of the food will get worse (more fried foods) and as I get depressed about the weight gain I'll stop weighing myself. It's a vicious cycle I've been on for over 20 years. Time to break it!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    bumping for when i get home
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    My suggestion is that you commit to doing one small thing that will improve your situation and commit to doing it every day. Make it something that is fairly easy to do so that it isn't too much of a burden to achieve it. Then do it every day without fail. Do it even when you don't feel like it.

Examples of some easy things you could do:
    1) If your home has stairs, you could commit to walking up and down the stairwell two or three times in a row. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Boom you are done, cross it off your list.

2) If you have a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike in your home, then commit to getting on and working for ten minutes only.

3) Do 25 jumping jacks.

I'm sure that you can think of your own examples. Just make sure that it is something easy that you will have no excuses not to do.

Then keep a tally on your calendar, or some other visual reminder for yourself that you did X today. Seeing that visual record of your achievement will serve as a reminder to do it the next day and the day after that. The key is doing it every day, even when you'd rather not. But remember, this should be an easy thing to do (not a burdensome thing), so you will have little excuse not to do it.

What you will find, if you do this faithfully, is that you have developed discipline. Motivation can carry you only so far. Discipline carries you the rest of the way, when motivation packs its bags.

Once your new habit is formed, then you can add another challenge (like logging in your food diary every day, or eating at a deficit). Keep adding challenges, and making them harder, until you start to see the results that you'd like.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You really need to motivate yourself. I read self-help books, subscribe to fitness and health magazines, and take 12 gym classes a week in very cute clothes and bright sneakers. No one else is going to do it for me.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    My suggestion is that you commit to doing one small thing that will improve your situation and commit to doing it every day. Make it something that is fairly easy to do so that it isn't too much of a burden to achieve it. Then do it every day without fail. Do it even when you don't feel like it.

Examples of some easy things you could do:
    1) If your home has stairs, you could commit to walking up and down the stairwell two or three times in a row. It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. Boom you are done, cross it off your list.

2) If you have a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike in your home, then commit to getting on and working for ten minutes only.

3) Do 25 jumping jacks.

I'm sure that you can think of your own examples. Just make sure that it is something easy that you will have no excuses not to do.

Then keep a tally on your calendar, or some other visual reminder for yourself that you did X today. Seeing that visual record of your achievement will serve as a reminder to do it the next day and the day after that. The key is doing it every day, even when you'd rather not. But remember, this should be an easy thing to do (not a burdensome thing), so you will have little excuse not to do it.

What you will find, if you do this faithfully, is that you have developed discipline. Motivation can carry you only so far. Discipline carries you the rest of the way, when motivation packs its bags.

Once your new habit is formed, then you can add another challenge (like logging in your food diary every day, or eating at a deficit). Keep adding challenges, and making them harder, until you start to see the results that you'd like.

Thanks. This is actually doable and helpful.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    As cheesy as it may sound, create a vision collage! Oxygen magazine included an article some time ago about creating a vision collage that motivates you and placing it in your room to look at when you feel you're lacking that extra push. It can be of places you'd like to visit, role models you look up to, yourself at a weight you really loved, etc. I know I do most of my mindless snacking in front of my bedroom TV, so keeping it there works best for me.

Otherwise, maybe try some group fitness classes to meet some people that could serve as a network to motivate you? Do you have a gym that offers them somewhere around you? A lot of my friends are gym friends and they keep me motivated. Hope this helps :)