How many calories for a moderately active 18 year old boy?

Options
I am about 6 foot and weigh around 140 pounds. How many calories should I consume to maintain this weight?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I realize this is not what you asked, so I apologize. And I have no idea what your goals are in terms of daily life and performance later on..but....

If I were 140lbs, 18, and 6ft, and if I knew then what I know now, I would really try to gain some muscle mass now because it's not going to get any easier for you to do so.

That said, Yes. Go to a variety of online calculators, find an average that seems reasonable to you. Try it for about a month or so, log accurately, and adjust from there.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I realize this is not what you asked, so I apologize. And I have no idea what your goals are in terms of daily life and performance later on..but....

If I were 140lbs, 18, and 6ft, and if I knew then what I know now, I would really try to gain some muscle mass now because it's not going to get any easier for you to do so.

That said, Yes. Go to a variety of online calculators, find an average that seems reasonable to you. Try it for about a month or so, log accurately, and adjust from there.

Ok
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What daily calorie goal (plus exercise calories) did myfitnesspal give you when you entered your stats and weight maintenance goal into your settings?

Is there a reason you don't like the number of calories suggested?
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a 6'1", 155 lb, 18 year-old son and the answer is ALL THE CALORIES. Honestly, that kid must have hollow legs or something.

Anyway, take advantage of the TDEE calculators, eat that amount, start building your muscle mass now with lifting (as said previously), and eat more calories to sustain it.

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This^^^ 140 was BELOW my "ideal weight" when I was 18, and I was 3 inches shorter.