Any runners? I have ???

Options
I have been on the treadmill now for this being my 3rd week. 4 times a week.
The first week I was up to 4 miles in 64 minutes. Not awesome I know, but I was getting better.
The second week, it was a struggle, my ankles and legs are hurting. Not sore, hurting. By the time I am finished my knee and ankles are aching so bad I was having to take ibuprofen to get through the rest of the day.
So I decided to take 3 days off, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
I got back on the treadmill yesterday, actually did a full out jog for almost five minutes, a record for me but then the pain in my ankles and knees had gotten so bad I had to slow down to a fast paced walk for the rest of my 4 miles. Which eventually took me 68 minutes.
Am I pushing to hard to fast?
I have running shoes.
Should I slow down the pace and take longer to try and get back up there? Change shoes?
I am not going to lie, I was and still am completely out of shape when I started, but I don't want to stop, I want to get better.
Any ideas?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lose the treadmill.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Are you properly stretching?
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The treadmill can be really hard on your joints. Could you run outside on grass or a dirt path?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Is running a brand new thing for you? If so, I would say you're definitely doing too much too quickly, resulting in the pain and possible injury you're experiencing.

The c25k program, which takes people form being a "couch potato", or non-runner, to being able to run 3.1 miles in 8-9 weeks - much more slowly than the 3 weeks you've taken so far. The plan also has you running just three days a week, taking at least one day off in between sessions.

Maybe try downloading a free c25k app (there are many) or look it up online, and try that. You could probably start on week 2 since you've already been active, but it wouldn't hurt to start at the beginning just to slow down and give your aches a pains a chance to heal up.

As for shoes - getting properly fitted at a good running store if you can is a good idea. Other than that - slow down, look into that program, and don't push too hard. End up with an injury and you could be sidelined for weeks.

Good luck!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I would also lose the treadmill (but thats a personal preference)..if you have the proper shoes, then its likely your going to fast and yes you need to slow down..Being overweight puts a lot of impact on your joints...maybe a better idea would be to do a run walk interval..increasing miles slowly...build up your strength.

if your in real pain now...you may be able to run through it for a bit more but eventually if you continue at the same rate..you will be stopped and it could be months.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Slow down it takes a while for your body to get used to the stresses of running. If you go to fast tip soon you could cause yourself an injury. You may be better off doing a run walk program until you've built up the strength
  • Finkerbell
    Finkerbell Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I ran with running shoes and got achilles tendonitis. They are not all created equal. I went to a running store, got fitted and haven't had problems since.
    I do also think maybe checking into C25K also. I've never had problems specifically with the treadmill but I do really love running outside so much more.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know people who swear by orthotics. You can go to an athletic supply store like Sports Authority and they do that foot evaluation...to find where most of your weight sits on your foot, where you need the most support...and then suggest appropriate inserts for your shoes. They can be kinda pricey...and sometimes you have to buy shoes a half size bigger to accomodate the inserts...Not for me, but I know people love them. Maybe something to think about.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would also advise ditching the treadmill for now. By running outside, you can alternate between speeds and between walking and jogging without even thinking about it/pressing buttons, and you'll be able to adjust to aches and pains much more naturally. But if this persists, I would also recommend seeing a doctor or physical therapist about it; there might be some area-specific exercises you can do to strengthen those areas so they don't hurt.
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago, and I felt similarly when starting out. It takes about 6-8 weeks for the body to adjust to new activities. For the first two or three weeks, I'd run to the end of the block, pant for a few minutes, and then walk a block. If you follow a couch to 5k routine, they will tell you for the first 4 weeks to do various different segments of 20-30 seconds running, 30-40 seconds walking repeating for about a half hour. I've found that strengthening the muscles around the knees and ankles with lunges, gallops, calf raises, and sumo squats has also helped with proper form and endurance.

How long have you owned your running shoes?
    Are you following any particular novice program for running?
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    There's a reason they call it pounding a treadmill. There isn't a lot of give, about like pounding concrete. Though it sounds opposite, increase the grade/angle of the treadmill. This will lessen the pound a a little bit. I also concur with those that said take a day of rest between sessions. I'd also suggest cutting down the time you're going. 68 minutes is a long time for a beginner/starting over runner. Try a comfortable speed for 5-10 or 10-15 minutes then an equal walk and call it a day. Sounds like over exertion to me and you're heading for an injury that'll take longer to recover from than it will to start slow and build yourself.
  • LeahNMe
    LeahNMe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.
    I am 5'1 and weigh 122 lbs. I think it is more the years of non activity that are hurting me so much right now than anything. Well as inactive as a mother, grandmother, wife, secretary and sports mom goes. But specific activity, no.
    I would love to ditch the treadmill and get outside, but at the moment, I am one with the treadmill due to time issues and helping to raise grandbrats along with my job. Between baseball and homework and my job and dinner and the house....... well you get the idea, the treadmill is the best I can do at the moment.
    I will definitely look into the c25k program. I guess pushing 50 has made we want to be able to do it all like I could back in the day.
    I will also be looking into having some shoes fitted better for me because I do eventually want to be able to move to the outside world.
    I can get my heart rate up pretty good and hang with it, my worst issue right now is the pain, I don't want to end up causing any long term damage that is going to have me sitting on the couch for a week.
    Stretching is another idea I hadn't thought of before.
    Thank you everyone, I will be looking into everything. Trust me, I don't want to stop now, I was just getting started good ;0)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lose the treadmill.

^^ game, set and match ^^
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It does take a while for your bones, joints, and muscles to toughen up when you start running - I had some discomfort the first 3 months I was running, and then when I overdo it, I feel it for a week afterwards with clicking knees and sore tendons and reduced mileage :(.

I agree with adding a bit of incline - 1.0 is a good default. Also, changing up speed and/or incline while working out can change the muscles that are worked out which can lessen the impact to any specific set of muscles. If I notice my feet, ankles, or knees hurting/fatiguing, I will change something.

Keep up the good work, but take it slow and steady. :)
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Were you running the whole 4 miles in your first week? If so, I would imagine that your whole body aches and wants you to give it a rest!

I'm with the other poster suggesting a C25K program, it will ease you in.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love love love running, but if you want me to do it on a treadmill, it's a no from me. Try outside and see how well you do. Right now at this point, don't worry about your times, that will naturally come and you will naturally get faster. Since you say you are out of shape, work your way into getting better. You won't be able to run a marathon by tomorrow, but you can always work on getting there by continuing to run and not give up. The treadmill can be really tough on the joints and harsh on the body, (when I go to the gym I do any other cardio machine except for the treadmill. I just hate it THAT much.) It's a lot easier and less painful if you run on the road/sidewalk!
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'll second the C25K app! I went from a serious non runner to a runner. And I have tons of joint pain previously. I did the intervals parts (first few weeks) on treadmill. Then when runs started getting longer I moved outdoors to the dirt track or the grass beside the sidewalks. I've had very little joint problems using this app. I highly recommend using it.

Amanda
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    ive only just started on the treadmill this last month too. i do 1 hour a day monday to friday. Stretching is really important, and because i am still building up my fitness i change up my speeds...

for the first 5 mins i walk at 3.5 mph, 5-10 minutes i jog at 4.5 mph, at 10 mins i go to 6mph for 1 minute. then i go back to 3.5 and start the cycle over again until i have completed it 6 times.

im gunna keep it as it is for this week, maybe next week i will increase my time at 6mph by 30 seconds.

all i know is am gunna be doing it gradually.

good luck

x
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.
    I am 5'1 and weigh 122 lbs. I think it is more the years of non activity that are hurting me so much right now than anything. Well as inactive as a mother, grandmother, wife, secretary and sports mom goes. But specific activity, no.
    I would love to ditch the treadmill and get outside, but at the moment, I am one with the treadmill due to time issues and helping to raise grandbrats along with my job. Between baseball and homework and my job and dinner and the house....... well you get the idea, the treadmill is the best I can do at the moment.
    I will definitely look into the c25k program. I guess pushing 50 has made we want to be able to do it all like I could back in the day.
    I will also be looking into having some shoes fitted better for me because I do eventually want to be able to move to the outside world.
    I can get my heart rate up pretty good and hang with it, my worst issue right now is the pain, I don't want to end up causing any long term damage that is going to have me sitting on the couch for a week.
    Stretching is another idea I hadn't thought of before.
    Thank you everyone, I will be looking into everything. Trust me, I don't want to stop now, I was just getting started good ;0)

Stretch stretch stretch. And when you think you've stretched enough, stretch some more. You should definitely stretch after, and it may help you if you walk 5 minutes to get warm and then stretch a bit before you start running. A foam roller helps if there's muscle aches you can't stretch out.

Also, lol grandbrats.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I used the treadmill to train myself in pacing (I always ran to fast and got burned out quickly before), then to learn to gradually increase speed. Running on a treadmill can have some benefits (I later switched to road running, but still use a treadmill in the winter when it's too cold for my asthmatic lungs).

It does sound like you're doing too much too fast. 30 minutes at a time may be a better amount to start out with (I was already active, but could only start with 20-30 minutes of run/walk intervals, it took me quite a while to work up to running a full 60 minutes). Make sure you stretch well and take enough rest time each week. I also recommend making sure you have really good, well-fitting shoes. The difference between a cheap pair at a discount store and real running shoes (from a running store, for example) surprised me!