Why would you suddenly have pain in your hip flexors?

Options
lorigem
lorigem Posts: 446 Member
I've been lifting for a year - no problems whatsoever. I started a deload last week and when it came time for squats, I felt my hip flexors a lot more than usual. And this was with only 100 lbs which is typically light for me. My hips felt so tight...but why?

I started jogging about 50 minutes every non-lifting day last week. Could that be it?

If I keep experiencing pain, I'll see a doc but I thought maybe someone here would have some possible insight?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My guess would be the jogging. I don't jog, but I've started walking a lot since getting my Fitbit six or eight weeks ago. I now average about 7.5 miles a day. My hip flexors get stiff all throughout the day, but only when I'm inactive for 30 or more minutes, like when sitting at a desk as I am now. When I stand up, it's a little hard to move my legs. But I warm up quickly and the pain is gone within seconds, at least until the next time when I sit down for a bit.
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt running can cause tight hips!
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you added too much running to fast and your IT bands are tightening up - google IT band stretches and foam roll the living **** out of those things
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's definitely the running. My hip flexors are pretty sore if I don't strech them a LOT after running. They are especially sore now that I am slowly adding mileage too. Look up some hip flexor stretches and do them right after your run and that should help. GL!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle last year (not the same one, for me it was a calf muscle) after I started running without building up to it. It is usually because the muscle is a little weak and not ready for the activity you suddenly started. I would do strengthening exercises for those muscles and pull back on the running in the meantime until they are a little stronger.
  • lorigem
    Options
    what.gif

Damn...okay that makes sense. I haven't been stretching because I thought I was too good for that. Guess I'll have to start :cry:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    what.gif

Damn...okay that makes sense. I haven't been stretching because I thought I was too good for that. Guess I'll have to start :cry:

no one is too good for that. Your body will thank you for the stretching.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    shia-labeouf-magic-gif.gif
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't lift, but I run quite a bit, and I've only ever had issues with my hip flexors when my hips are out of alignment (brought on by unequal muscle-strength in my legs, exacerbated by running). However, with your history of lifting, I would imagine you have good core muscles that would keep your hips in their proper place. But adding a few stretches/exercises to strengthen hips/pelvic muscles might help ease the pain with your hip flexors.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

9a6430d4563117096d235131df9deec3-treadmill-pimp-walk.gif
  • lorigem
    Options
    so-stupid.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    It's the running. It may take a little time to acclimate, but just ease it to it rather then jump in to it. As mentioned, stretching out the hip flexors will help with pain relief.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a year - no problems whatsoever. I started a deload last week and when it came time for squats, I felt my hip flexors a lot more than usual. And this was with only 100 lbs which is typically light for me. My hips felt so tight...but why?

I started jogging about 50 minutes every non-lifting day last week. Could that be it?

If I keep experiencing pain, I'll see a doc but I thought maybe someone here would have some possible insight?

From 0 to 50 on every so-called rest day last week? And you're wondering if *maybe* it is causing hip tightness??? MAYBE?!?

Yeah, I'd say that's maybe it.

Maybe.

ETA: Okay, I read through the rest of the replies...and OP, I like you. Best of luck with your new reasonable and measured efforts at adding running (and stretching) to your routine. :flowerforyou:
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    you added too much running to fast and your IT bands are tightening up - google IT band stretches and foam roll the living **** out of those things

My physiotherapist advises against foam rolling the ITB. http://blog.upmysport.com/running/runners-should-you-really-be-foam-rolling-your-itb/ Focus on the TFL with stretches, foam rolling and trigger point therapy.

I've had all sorts of hip and knee problems from running. I don't do it anymore.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Jogging works the hip flexors in ways that most lifting doesn't. I often feel sore in that area after a longer run than usual (like when I'm working up to 10K after just doing 5K). Also, when I am increasing speed, I feel it.

It may also be more common on treadmill than on the road, but I'm not sure.

I'm betting it's the new running in your routine that's causing it.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    While trying out the C25K program, I experienced severe hip flexor pain where I never had it before, ever. If you have a desk job, your flexors are shortened due to the sitting position, and then to jump into running without targeted stretching before and after could, for some, be a recipe for disaster. I learned the hard way, and even after quitting trying to run (replaced with walking and weights), I still have hip flexor pain from it blowing out on my last run. If you want to continue to run, look up targeted hip flexor stretches, get a foam roller and do that as well, and get up more often from your desk and cross your fingers.
  • lorigem
    Options
    If jogging is effing me up, then eff that! I'd rather lift. But I needz to burnz the fatz faster so I figured I'd add cardio. I'll try stretching more.

cat-stretch.gif
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    definitely the running! I have tight hip flexors normally, but last year after running my first ever 10K my hip flexors were so sore I couldn't lift my own legs up to put pants on :frown:

ETA: Foam rolling can help!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

According to my doctor, IT bands run down the outside of your leg (I have knee trouble from time to time because of ITB issues :sad:). Can it really make your hip flexors sore too? ... assuming I'm thinking of the right muscles for hip flexors :laugh:, I'm thinking of the ones in front right where femur connects to pelvis.
  • lorigem
    Options
    While trying out the C25K program, I experienced severe hip flexor pain where I never had it before, ever. If you have a desk job, your flexors are shortened due to the sitting position, and then to jump into running without targeted stretching before and after could, for some, be a recipe for disaster. I learned the hard way, and even after quitting trying to run (replaced with walking and weights), I still have hip flexor pain from it blowing out on my last run. If you want to continue to run, look up targeted hip flexor stretches, get a foam roller and do that as well, and get up more often from your desk and cross your fingers.

Yeah I'm at a desk all day. SUCKS!!!!!