Is 1,800 too little for an 18 year old boy?

Options
I am 6 feet, 140 pounds, and I have been eating around 1,800 calories a day. Is this too little? Thanks!

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For maintaining weight? Almost certainly yes. It's going to depend on your activity level on what you need to maintain but it is probably going to be around 2200 calories per day. You have to experiment though.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am 6 feet, 140 pounds, and I have been eating around 1,800 calories a day. Is this too little? Thanks!

Eat a lot more, esp if you're active.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on being at a good range for your weight. On your question, It depends on how active you are. If you exercise a lot, you might need to up a little. Checkout your BMR and TDEE. And experiment from there. It might take a bit of tweaking. Here is a site you can use to calculate: body fat, BMR and TDEE.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this.

you are borderline underweight.

Eat like 2600+ and lift!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    That's what I eat and I am old enough to be your mom...so yes it's too little...

My own son probably eats more than 2x that much...he is your age...a little taller

My husband who is 32 eats probably 2x that too and maintains his weight...at your height...he is 185.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

this.

Eat like 2600+ and lift!

I'm just worried that I might gain a ton of weight :/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

this.

Eat like 2600+ and lift!

weight <>fat...eating enough and lifting puts muscle on too...

you are a very slim young man...no doubt...if you are happy there then eat at maintenance which is more than 1800 and still lift just not a progressive load lifting program...work in the 8-12 rep range with weight that you find exhausting on the last reps.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

this.

Eat like 2600+ and lift!

weight <>fat...eating enough and lifting puts muscle on too...

you are a very slim young man...no doubt...if you are happy there then eat at maintenance which is more than 1800 and still lift just not a progressive load lifting program...work in the 8-12 rep range with weight that you find exhausting on the last reps.

Will do! Thank you :D
  • Sophiepants33
    Sophiepants33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your BMR and more specifics than just age and weight but overall it sounds low. I changed from another app to this one (don't worry I won't mention it) and my maintenance calories dropped by close to 500 calories. Most likely depends on your 'activity level'. go to your setting and 'update diet/fitness profile'. you most likely chose sedentary... make sure this is an honest reflection of your day. if you feel like you're somewhere in the middle of sedentary and light activity. you can manually change the calorie intake.
    Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5'9" and three times your age - maintaining on 2,700.

You are in the golden years for training when you can make fantastic progress - don't waste those years by under eating and under training, build your strength and fitness base that will last you for many years to come.
  • flawwd
    flawwd Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes. And the fact that you are afraid to gain weight make me a little concerned you may be heading towards anorexia. Even men can get it. Being at too low a weight changes people's thinking and view of their body. I would suggest gradually trying to increase your intake so it's not too scary, and do exercise moderately plus some weights. If you keep on losing then nudge your intake up a bit more. Counselling for an eating disorder is expensive!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you're probably still growing, so you'd need more calories than a fully grown man your height and weight and the calorie calculators will underestimate your calorie needs. Men's long bones often don't fully fuse (i.e. what happens when you stop growing) until you're 21. 1800 calories a day is what I eat for a cut, and I'm female and 38 years only and only 5'1"

you should be getting heavier at your age, even if you've stopped growing in height your shoulders will still be getting wider and your muscles getting bigger... with the right training and eating plenty of food you can put on a lot of muscle at your age. Make the most of this, because you won't be in the same position again. Adolescent men have more testosterone in their system than fully grown men.

If you're afraid of gaining weight then go and see a doctor - eating disorders can affect men too. And undereating at your age can harm your development. Really you should be getting heavier at your age - wider shoulders and bigger muscles, i.e. a man's physique as opposed to an adolescent boy's physique.

are you the same person who posted this the other day, except you said you were 17 then? Because I already said a bunch of stuff like this on that thread. If you're afraid of gaining weight then see a doctor.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, I say as the mother of two rail thin boys - one 6'2" and one 6'1". The 6'1" son got home from two years in the Peace Corps at 150 pounds and I could see every bone in his face and every vertebrae. Lots of muscle but not an ounce of fat. He needed to gain weight, and put it on in muscle. He looks much healthier at 158.

You are very slim. I can say for a certainty that both my sons eat over 3000 calories a day - both as students and neither that active. Please note that young men your age use different charts for measuring BMI than people in their 20's as you are probably still growing.

Why are you counting calories? At your weight and age you should focus on eating healthy and staying active. This is not a tool you need to use at this point in your life. Just my two cents.
This discussion has been closed.