Wheat free /Gluten free diet

Options

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Well, I started yesterday and I am feeling great, so I am all for it! My mind is more clear, I have energy, and no cravings! My stomach pains have gone away and just feel lighter. I even dropped .4 lbs ..compared to the day before. I was hoping for some positive responses but I respect all of your opinions and experiences. I'm reading the Wheat Belly book and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I will never eat bread again but I can definitely tell the difference in the way I was feeling prior to how I feel now....and it's only been one day!

Maybe you need to get tested for celiac disease? It sounds like you may benefit from a professional opinion.

I am in the grocery industry and most of the professionals I work with see gluten free and the wheat belly diet as the newest 'fad". Manufacturers are scrambling to get new products to the market as they can charge more and make more margin that on the typical everyday items.
    There are more and more people that are being diagnosed as having an intolerance to gluten but if you are not one of them why do it?
    Don't guess, get yourself checked.
  • DagobaGirl
    DagobaGirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 3 months. Mine is for health issues linked to my hypothyroidism. If you want to try it out I would encourage you to do it! The first 2 weeks are the hardest in my opinion, but after awhile you generally quit craving gluten-filled products. I found that the most significant impact of going gluten free is having better control over my diet and self-control in general. Many people have gluten sensitivities and never realize it because they're so used to feeling the way they do (i.e. groggy, bloated, low energy,etc.) I'm not claiming that everyone should ditch gluten (because it can be a pain and may be unnecessary for some), but there's no harm in doing it. You can eat a healthy balanced diet without gluten. I've found that I've eaten less carbs in general since going GF which has had further benefit to my health. GF products aren't the exact same as glutinous ones, but there are some decent ones out there. Also if you make things at home from scratch sometimes you can hardly tell the difference!
  • jramaral
    jramaral Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    gluten is a 2-part protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. If you have Celiac's disease and you ingest gluten it triggers an autoimmune response to attack the microvilli of the small intestine. If you have non-celiac gluten sensitivity, it can cause many of the symptoms of Celiac's disease except there is no intestinal damage. I have Celiac's Disease. People who eat gluten free to lose weight is really irritating. Because if I go to a restaurant (rare for me - unless it's dedicated gluten free it is not worth my health risk) it's confusing for the kitchen/wait staff to differentiate someone who wants to be on a fad diet and can pick off the croutons from their salad and someone like me who can get a trigger of my symptoms by eating a crumb of gluten containing food (20 parts per million). So if you are gluten free - be responsible. Learn about cross contamination. 1 in 133 Americans have Celiac's Disease. Over 90% don't even know it. Do some research. IF you want to get diagnosed you HAVE to be eating gluten for the tests to be accurate.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faqs
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    As for the book? Well - you might want to read some more...."The book inspired analyses which compare Davis' conclusions with the current evidence-base published in the established scientific literature. One analysis found that Davis used some data that was associated, but did not prove causality (false analogy), compared food data that is not naturally comparable (that is, incommensurable), made false assertions, ignored studies that disproved some of his claims, made assertions that were not backed up by any case studies, made self-contradictory statements and while he made some statements that were true, they were not catastrophic as he claimed. Most of the true claims he makes do not smear wheat at all, such as increasing one's intake of fruits and vegetables and avoiding deep fried foods. One reviewer cited a recent review of studies on refined grains, which concluded: "The great majority [of studies] found no associations between the intake of refined-grain foods and cardiovascular disease, diabetes, weight gain, or overall mortality."

Bless you and your truths.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 3 months. Mine is for health issues linked to my hypothyroidism. If you want to try it out I would encourage you to do it! The first 2 weeks are the hardest in my opinion, but after awhile you generally quit craving gluten-filled products. I found that the most significant impact of going gluten free is having better control over my diet and self-control in general. Many people have gluten sensitivities and never realize it because they're so used to feeling the way they do (i.e. groggy, bloated, low energy,etc.) I'm not claiming that everyone should ditch gluten (because it can be a pain and may be unnecessary for some), but there's no harm in doing it. You can eat a healthy balanced diet without gluten. I've found that I've eaten less carbs in general since going GF which has had further benefit to my health. GF products aren't the exact same as glutinous ones, but there are some decent ones out there. Also if you make things at home from scratch sometimes you can hardly tell the difference!

Same here as far as part of the reason why I am gluten free. Hypothyroidism sucks.

Gluten and grain free, soy free, starting to limit the night shades and the aches and pains I have are slowly going away.

I don't eat products just real food (Meats, fats, vegetables, fruits and some raw nuts and seeds - the only dairy I eat is gluten free yogurt and grass fed butter)
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    oh boy.. i posted this same thing earlier in the week and got so many replies that were so offensive and snarky. I also could tell one day into it that i felt better. THe bloated, uncomfortable feeling was gone. Im on day 3, and plan on continuing. People will harass you on here until you feel bad about yourself, just stick to your guns. You know you best.

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Dumbest post award goes to……. you.

Anyone who eats gluten free because of Celiac, a gluten intolerance, or other medical condition surely knows what gluten is composed of.
  • PeacefulBalance
    PeacefulBalance Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well, I started yesterday and I am feeling great, so I am all for it! My mind is more clear, I have energy, and no cravings! My stomach pains have gone away and just feel lighter. I even dropped .4 lbs ..compared to the day before. I was hoping for some positive responses but I respect all of your opinions and experiences. I'm reading the Wheat Belly book and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I will never eat bread again but I can definitely tell the difference in the way I was feeling prior to how I feel now....and it's only been one day!

You can tell all that in a day?

hehehe I was thinking the EXACT same thing LMAO

Yeah, I was a little surprised that one day would change your life. It takes a while for gluten to actually get out of your system.

Studying as a dietitian we had to take a critical eye of the Wheat Belly book and I just don't think that book is reliable. All I ask is that people do their research before saying "gluten is bad for you"...I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just irritated because I HAVE to eat gluten free and I'm looked down upon because of so many people using it as a fad diet. It sucks having to fight for a legit reason to eat gluten free. It would also be beneficial to look up what gluten actually is. You'd be surprised at the things that contain gluten, it's more than just bread.

However, on the other side, if you are definitely seeing a difference in your body and you're feeling better, then keep doing what you're doing. My only issue is when people can't back up what they're saying because they just believe one thing that they read.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Dumbest post award goes to……. you.

Anyone who eats gluten free because of Celiac, a gluten intolerance, or other medical condition surely knows what gluten is composed of.
    Hey there are people still waiting for you to post studies backing up your "information" on another thread that you got owned in.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options
    lol I should have expected some arguments on here because it is MFP forums...

For me, I am going natural. I'm not eating any pre-packaged "gluten-free" versions of bread or substitutes. I guess it's a mix between Paleo and GF. I haven't spent any more money on foods than I have before...Why? Cause I already have fruits, vegetables, in my diet...I'm just cutting out the wheat....NO biggie really!

To all the haters out there, do your research. If genetically modified food is good for you, then go ahead and eat all the wheat you want. If you don't have an intolerance then it won't hurt you, but I'm all about being healthy and putting foods in me that are pure and clean. The Wheat Belly book was written by a Cardiologist! It's not a diet fad. It's based on scientific evidence! Whether you believe in this diet or not, this is a fact.

Your statements make absolutely no sense. Gluten is not just in wheat. It's in barley and rye too, so no beer if you give up gluten.

As for the "do your research" statement, I'm willing to bet half the people here have done more than you have. And what does genetically modified food have to do with gluten, wheat, or anything in this thread?

Oh, and cardiologist =/= nutrition expert. Did you read the scientific studies he based his book on?

This, this this!!!!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Yeah, I was a little surprised that one day would change your life. It takes a while for gluten to actually get out of your system.

Studying as a dietitian we had to take a critical eye of the Wheat Belly book and I just don't think that book is reliable. All I ask is that people do their research before saying "gluten is bad for you"...I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just irritated because I HAVE to eat gluten free and I'm looked down upon because of so many people using it as a fad diet. It sucks having to fight for a legit reason to eat gluten free. It would also be beneficial to look up what gluten actually is. You'd be surprised at the things that contain gluten, it's more than just bread.

However, on the other side, if you are definitely seeing a difference in your body and you're feeling better, then keep doing what you're doing. My only issue is when people can't back up what they're saying because they just believe one thing that they read.

The DAMAGE done by gluten can take 3-4 months to repair, but gluten doesn't stay in your system for 3-4 months.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The DAMAGE done by gluten can take 3-4 months to repair, but gluten doesn't stay in your system for 3-4 months.

It also doesn't leave your system in less than a day like the OP is claiming. Otherwise we would all wake up every morning feeling the way she claims to feel until we eat something with gluten.
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options

It also doesn't leave your system in less than a day like the OP is claiming. Otherwise we would all wake up every morning feeling the way she claims to feel until we eat something with gluten.

THANK YOU! Sheesh...
    I wasn't attacking the OP, I was simply just stating it takes more than a day to REALLY feel a difference.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Never said it leaves your system in less than 24 hours. I know it doesn't leave your system in 24 hours. But symptoms CAN be reduced within 24-48 hours of eating gluten free if a person does in fact have Celiac or a gluten intolerance.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Without judging any of the other posters... if you wish FOR WHATEVER REASON to eat gluten free & want some support from others who are living that way, there is a Gluten Free forum group here on MFP. You are welcome to join us & I promise we won't tell you you are crazy, lol. We only give suggestions on yummy GF food (there's lots) and recipes and tips for travel & eating out or at events, etc
  • PeacefulBalance
    Options

Never said it leaves your system in less than 24 hours. I know it doesn't leave your system in 24 hours. But symptoms CAN be reduced within 24-48 hours of eating gluten free if a person does in fact have Celiac or a gluten intolerance.

I'm not claiming she didn't feel a difference, just saying it usually takes more than just one day to notice a huge difference. And my symptoms can last for up to a week if I accidentally have something with gluten. However, bodies do vary. Again, if it's working for her then keep going. I just think it's important to realize it's not a "fad diet". I also think it's important to write down/monitor for at least 2-4 weeks for consistency and to conclude it works for you. Again, not attacking the OP, just mentioning these things; if she's feeling great from it, then great! Ultimately it's about how your body feels.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have done gluten free for many years. Except for a few items, (Udi's gluten free bread; Natures Path gluten free waffles) I prefer to make my own food. I simply sub in brown rice flour for whole wheat. Adding some flax seeds to recipes helps by adding some nutrition value as well as helping with bodily systems. Adding black or kidney beans to muffins can sub for some flour too.
  • droque
    droque Posts: 1
    Options
    There is more and more research that gluten isn't good for you and you should avoid it. You obviously want to become informed and Wheat Belly is an excellent book to educate yourself. Stay away from all the gluten free crackers and bread, it’s a bunch of processed crap. Not eating gluten is not a low carb diet, you can eat all the healthy carbs you want….ie fruits and veggies. As I say, Just eat real food. Pasta and bread is not real food….it’s been processed.
    Good for you for not listening to other dieters and follow what makes sense and more importantly how you feel. There will always be ignorant people who don’t want to educate themselves and spit out garbage .
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You have to admit that she's attaching a lot of credit to her brand-spanking-new-gluten-free-lifestyle when many of the alleviated symptoms could also be attributed to other factors. Plus it has never actually been stated as fact that she has an intolerance, this is just something she is doing without any medical diagnosis whatsoever based on her posts.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I'm not claiming she didn't feel a difference, just saying it usually takes more than just one day to notice a huge difference. And my symptoms can last for up to a week if I accidentally have something with gluten. However, bodies do vary. Again, if it's working for her then keep going. I just think it's important to realize it's not a "fad diet". I also think it's important to write down/monitor for at least 2-4 weeks for consistency and to conclude it works for you. Again, not attacking the OP, just mentioning these things; if she's feeling great from it, then great! Ultimately it's about how your body feels.

I've been gluten free for almost a month because I have Crohn's disease and insulin resistance. I personally didn't have immediate relief. Now that it's been almost a month, I've noticed my Crohn's symptoms are reduced which is fantastic because living with Crohn's is not easy. I agree that it's absolutely not a fad diet. Gluten intolerance is becoming more and more of an epidemic. It's not some fad diet that someone does for a couple months. It's a life-long diet for most individuals. It requires a huge lifestyle change but I believe it is 100% worth it for those who have Celiac, a gluten intolerance, and other medical conditions that benefit from a gluten free diet as well as those who choose to be gluten free. Gluten is not what it was centuries ago. It is so genetically modified nowadays and I believe that plays a large role in the number of people who have a gluten allergy.