Help me pick a vacation spot!

Options
_lyndseybrooke_
_lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
My husband and I will be taking last vacation before kids enter the picture (if all goes as planned) in mid-October. Here are our three options...

OPTION ONE
Things to do: We're skipping Disney and opting for SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Discovery Cove (swimming with dolphins), and Aquatica. We'd be staying at the Hilton in a suite.
Significance: This is where we went on our honeymoon two years ago.
Pros: We know we'll have a great time and sort of already know our way around from when we were there the first time. We can do 5 days for well under $2000 without really worrying about our spending.
Cons: We've already been there, and we're not sure if we should stick to what we know or try something new.

OPTION TWO
Things to do: We'd be staying at an all-inclusive resort on the beach.
Significance: We've never been out of the country on vacation and it seems like a pretty popular vacation spot.
Pros: It's a new experience for both of us, a nice resort, food and flight included in the price. It would be about $2200 for the package. Unlike Orlando, it's a place we probably won't go with kids.
Cons: We'd have to be really careful what we spend while we're there, because $2000 was our original budget. We're worried we won't like the food at the resort, but we'd be stuck with it. We're concerned about other costs that we may not be considering. I'm also worried about being bored - I'm not a "go on vacation to relax" type of person. I want to go do fun stuff!

OPTION THREE
Things to do: We'd probably get an interior room, meals included in the price. And, of course, we'd get off the ship at the ports.
Significance: We've never been on a cruise before.
Pros: It would be a new experience and the price is right. It would be about $1500, including food.
Cons: Again, I'm worried I'll get bored or become annoyed with the crowd. I think it would be cool to be out in the middle of the ocean for about an hour, and then I'd want to find something to do other than look at a bunch of water or lay out at a crowded pool. The reviews for the cruises we can afford (Carnival mostly) are pretty mixed. And again, I'm worried we won't like the food. We're big on food, and that's half of our vacation right there.

So, taking all of this into consideration, what should we do for our vacation? We just can't decide and we'd like to book everything around the end of next month. We're open to other locations, but our budget is between $2000-2500 and we live in South Carolina, so keep that in mind!

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    If you decide with Florida, make sure it's not dolphins' mating season >.>
    That's all. :flowerforyou:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You can get some awesome deals with cruises and depending on where you go, there are a lot of fun activities for you to do. You can explore the cities, take tours, go swimming, etc.
  • luvmydawgs
    luvmydawgs Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would go on a cruise. You will never get bored. There is so much to do. Just make sure you take hand sanitizer and use it! I have been on two cruises and never once got bored or sick! I would see if you can get a deal on at least a room with a view. It makes a HUGE difference. I done both with and without.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    You will not get bored on a cruise! There are so many things to do every single minute of every day. Swimming, movies, sports, shopping, eating, drinking, dancing, sunbathing, napping, trivia, bingo, shows, all going on at the same time. You can do just about anything you want.

Honestly, even if you didn't get off at the ports (though I recommend you do, because they're worth seeing), you'd still have fun.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Seychelles Islands. Not very well known, but a hidden paradise. That's where I'm headed in the next few years.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    option two

who the hell would go to sea world
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything significant to say since I haven't been to any of those places (or gone on a cruise), but if you do plan to go to Cabo, start the process for a passport now if you don't already have one!

My favorite spot is the Destin/Pensacola, Florida area. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, and even those beaches didn't live up to this Florida coastline.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    option two

who the hell would go to sea world

Me, that's who. We've been to the one in Orlando and the one in San Diego and both were awesome.

Then again, you could be speaking from an animal rights/save the fish perspective. In that case, let's just say it's not a huge concern of mine.
  • koosorlose
    koosorlose Posts: 186
    Options
    Screw all that!!! MIAMIIIIIIIIIII
  • vladamisa
    vladamisa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Go cruise
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Seychelles Islands. Not very well known, but a hidden paradise. That's where I'm headed in the next few years.

A tad bit out of our price range.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Screw all that!!! MIAMIIIIIIIIIII

We're not partiers.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    go to Cabo. Sea World has angry captive killer whales and the captive dolphins at your other resort are being held prisoner against their will.
    Might as well go to Canada and club some baby seals for your vacation.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I vote for cruise, lots to do you won't get bored! Only thing to keep in mind is if you like to drink that bill will rack up quickly on the ship!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    go to Cabo. Sea World has angry captive killer whales and the captive dolphins at your other resort are being held prisoner against their will.
    Might as well go to Canada and club some baby seals for your vacation.

Oy...
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Skip it all. Especially Sea World.

Go to The Grand Canyon. Zion National Park. Lake Powell Houseboating. Sedona, Arizona. All of those are very romantic and fun vacations. :)
  • lookin4gains
    Options

A tad bit out of our price range.

Mine too. That's why I said a few years. Lol
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Cruise - skip Sea World it's cruel to Dolphins
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What's with all the Sea World hate? I've been wanting to go since I was like eight years old!
  • lookin4gains
    Options
    Cabo for sure.