Which is the best tactic?

Options
I had about 25lbs to lose as of January 2nd. Since that time I've lost 13 or so. For the past month or so I haven't lost a significant amount, and I find myself struggling with keeping under my calorie goal. The foods and amounts I was eating before (I was never hungry) just aren't doing it for me anymore. I'm fighting hunger more often and I feel tired. I have my loss set at 1.5lb per week. Should I:

A. change to 0.5 or 1.0 per week and see if I feel better with that...or
B. Switch to maintenance for a while and essentially "take a break" from weight loss.

I am aware that it's harder to get weight off when you have less to lose. And because I'm so close to goal, I'm not too bad off...meaning my clothes fit again. I still need to lose 5 or 8 more to get into the "Healthy BMI" range. I'm just afraid that if I switch to maintenance I will totally undo the hard work I've put in. Lemmie know whatchall think is best.

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had about 25lbs to lose as of January 2nd. Since that time I've lost 13 or so. For the past month or so I haven't lost a significant amount, and I find myself struggling with keeping under my calorie goal. The foods and amounts I was eating before (I was never hungry) just aren't doing it for me anymore. I'm fighting hunger more often and I feel tired. I have my loss set at 1.5lb per week. Should I:

B. Switch to maintenance for a while and essentially "take a break" from weight loss.

I am aware that it's harder to get weight off when you have less to lose. And because I'm so close to goal, I'm not too bad off...meaning my clothes fit again. I still need to lose 5 or 8 more to get into the "Healthy BMI" range. I'm just afraid that if I switch to maintenance I will totally undo the hard work I've put in. Lemmie know whatchall think is best.

Hunger is not an emergency. You don't always have to do something about it. I would recommend staying the course. If you don't think you can hold off the hunger than eat a little more but if you switch to maintenance now, I can't imagine it'd be very easy to come back.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    if you haven't already, try adding more fruits and veggies to your diet; They're pretty low calorie and will help fill you up.

I've also noticed for me whole grain foods help keep me full. When i go to chipotle I get the brown rice now and even though it's a lot of calories, i seem to be satisfied longer. I've also started using whole grain spaghetti at home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I am right there with you!!! I am losing much more slowly now and considering the same options. I have at least 16 lb to lose, but probably not much more than that. I am not struggling with hunger but I feel frustrated when I only see a real loss once or twice per month instead of weekly changes.

I'm sorry I don't have advice to help you but I want in on this for insight from others ;-)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    and to answer your actual question (sorry about that) why not try lowering your goal to .5 a week and see how you feel. Still a good amount of weight loss and really any trend downward is a super awesome trend. I like to think of this diet as the life diet, meaning I want to do this for the rest of my life so a slow rate of weight loss for me is A OK. Sure as hell beats the slow rate of weight gain I was experiencing up until i started recording 2 years ago.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking. Are you eating clean and watching your sodium.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you have been going without taking time off since Jan i would take a week long rest. You probably have learned all the right habits and shouldn't spiral out of control. I use a week off to help break plateau and my muscles seem to react by getting sore again once i come back.. and then i drop a few lbs again. OR just completely switch up your workouts... any kind of confusion i guess would do the same thing?
    just an opinion BEST OF LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hunger is not an emergency. You don't always have to do something about it. I would recommend staying the course. If you don't think you can hold off the hunger than eat a little more but if you switch to maintenance now, I can't imagine it'd be very easy to come back.
    [/quote]

You know, you reminded me of something. When I started this in January, I remember feeling a bit hungry and being happy/or satisfied with this, feeling like it was a good thing...maybe my mindseet has changed cuz I just feel "over it"...dangerous ground. That thinking will get me into trouble. I need a mental reboot and not be satisfied with still being short of my goals. Thank you! :happy:
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    and to answer your actual question (sorry about that) why not try lowering your goal to .5 a week and see how you feel. Still a good amount of weight loss and really any trend downward is a super awesome trend. I like to think of this diet as the life diet, meaning I want to do this for the rest of my life so a slow rate of weight loss for me is A OK. Sure as hell beats the slow rate of weight gain I was experiencing up until i started recording 2 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty good about the veggies, I just really find it hard to find a fruit I'm excited about. Like I said in an earlier reply I'm just in a slump and feeling kinda "over it'. I need to just snap out of it.