Weight loss struggle 3 yrs after Gastric bypass

Options
Hi all, I am 37 yrs old and weighed at my heaviest 22 stone 5 lbs. I had a gastric bypass in 2010, and successfully got down to 13st 8lbs, almost 4 yrs later I am back at 18 stones. I have several issues including underactive thyroid and anaemia.

I realise that the weight gain was my fault and that by now my stomach is well and truly stretched back to where it was before, to get down to the lowest weight I was at weight watchers but my only excercise was just light walking and the weight dropped off even though my bypass restriction was only minimal.

So 4 yrs later I have started on fitness journey, I have a personal trainer 3 times per week and do 1 body pump class per week. I am 8 weeks in and have had very minimal results, I can see a waist coming back so my shape is changing but the scales seem really slow based on my past dieting with food and no excercise. I try to net around 1800 calories a day and I have my fitbit to monitor my activity.

Has anyone had any similar struggles?

Hayley

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    sounds like too many calories to lose weight ?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing ALL of your food?
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    At 18 stone, you can definitely lose netting 1800 calories per day. When I was around 230 (16.4 stone), I was losing on 2000-2100 per day.

Define "minimal results".

1-2 pounds a week is what you should aim for. Be DILIGENT about tracking your calories. Weigh/measure everything.

Weight loss isn't linear. You will have good weeks and bad weeks. 1-2lbs per week is an AVERAGE. One week you might not lose anything, the next week you might lose 3.