How much weight to lose to get down one size?

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
I think the answer to my question is "depends" but is there any way I can estimate for myself how much weight to lose to get down to my next size?

I have a trip to Chicago on July 27 and I REALLY hope to be down by 11 - 12 pounds by then ( 1 pound a week ) but then I am also hoping that if I accomplish that I can buy some new clothes for the trip in a size XL ( where I wear a 2XL right now ) and have it fit comfortably.

I *think* I was a few pounds heavier than my goal in 2010 when I wore an XL ( tightly ) so I'm wondering if hoping that I will fit XL comfortably by that time is too ambitious.

Thanks!

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've heard others claim that one ladies size was about 10-15 lbs, but it will depend on where you lose that weight from. I went from an xl to an m on top, and 14 to 12 on bottom. 18lbs. Then i went to a size 7/8 bottom and same m on top after the next 15 lbs.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I've heard others claim that one ladies size was about 10-15 lbs, but it will depend on where you lose that weight from. I went from an xl to an m on top, and 14 to 12 on bottom. 18lbs. Then i went to a size 7/8 bottom and same m on top after the next 15 lbs.

That seems to make sense with me on when I gain weight but not sure about losing. At one point I wore a size 16 in jeans when I was 215 pounds. Gained up to 225 pounds then lost it down to 215 again and still couldn't fit those size 16 jeans :sad: . After that I just lost hope and I'm back again now at 233 ( from 241 ) and trying not to lose hope again.

This time I'm trying dieting with more exercise and weights. Hoping it will equate to better results.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I find I drop a size about every 10 lbs. Maybe go from loose fitting to tight fitting, so not quite a whole size, but close enough. Women's clothing sizes are so damn arbitrary though, who knows what size I really am at any given time.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I find I drop a size about every 10 lbs. Maybe go from loose fitting to tight fitting, so not quite a whole size, but close enough. Women's clothing sizes are so damn arbitrary though, who knows what size I really am at any given time.

Thanks. True about the women's clothing sizes. I wish there was a standardization.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs and I am still in some of the same clothing as before. There is absolutely no way to predict.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options

That seems to make sense with me on when I gain weight but not sure about losing. At one point I wore a size 16 in jeans when I was 215 pounds. Gained up to 225 pounds then lost it down to 215 again and still couldn't fit those size 16 jeans :sad: . After that I just lost hope and I'm back again now at 233 ( from 241 ) and trying not to lose hope again.

This time I'm trying dieting with more exercise and weights. Hoping it will equate to better results.

Just speaking from experience, I've lost a size around every 10-20 pounds. I fit into my size 16 jeans again at 205-210 pounds, and I'm now very comfortably (and a bit loosely) in size 14 pants at 195. At my lowest above-14-years-old weight, I was 145ish in a size 8, and when I gained weight that first time I was, at a point, 195 in a size 18. So all of that really depends, especially on things like muscle mass. I've found that if I'm focusing more on size than weight, I NEED to exercise more, lift more, and eat better foods, where if I want to just lose weight (which is rare, but I guess if I was a wrestler or something...), I need to simply focus on my calorie deficit.

At 220 pounds, I was in an XL, and I'm quite short. I'm sure you'll get there. :)

ETA: I rarely notice when it's time to move into a new size until I try that new size on for myself. My size 16 jeans do still fit, but after about 5 minutes, they're loose all over. I pulled on one of my favorite shirts the other day (in a size XL) that I have cut so it hangs off my shoulder and shows my tattoos, etc. Then I saw my reflection in the side of a building and told my friend I was roaming LA with that we needed to go to the mall, because I was NOT wearing that shirt to the concert we were about to go to. She laughed and said that shirt's been big on me for awhile now...I just never noticed.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've heard it to be 10lb. Although a few years back I lost just under 50 pounds and dropped 3 dress sizes, that was with WW and no exercise.

This time around I'm using MFP, lifting and doing cardio, I lost a dress size before losing any weight. ;)
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If I drop 10-11 pounds, I go down a size.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs and I am still in some of the same clothing as before. There is absolutely no way to predict.

^^I'm at the same loss & I'm (almost) down 1 size - yeah its weird & just one of those things I guess.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    There is no way to determine how you will lose and get in the next size down. I started at 240 and size 24...I am now 164 and size 8

At 170 I was in sizes 18/16/14...at 160 I was in sizes 14/12/10...I lift weights and I keep going down in sizes as the scale lately goes up. I say if you want to lose inches and go down in sizes, lift weights. But don't expect the scale to drop a ton. I lost pounds more by doing cardio but it took a lot more pounds lost to go down in sizes. Good luck in whatever you do and I hope you hit your goal!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your body type. Average is around 10 lbs per size, but I haven't dropped a size yet - not even close. All depends. Saves me money on clothes shopping but is annoying as hell.
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weight 140 and wear size 10/12. I hope to hit size 8 around the 134/135lb mark. HOPE. Is this a pipe dream?
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it also depends on where you lose weight from, along with your body shape (Apple, Pear, etc.)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    IMO the women's sizes (14W, 16W, 18W, 20W, 22W, 24W etc. and 1X, 2X, 3X etc.) accommodate a much larger range of weight than the regular women's sizes. There have been similar discussion on MFP where women have said that they wore the same size jeans between 240 and 300 pounds, for example. Of course some jeans are made with lots of spandex! Generalizing, I'd say its more like 15 to 20 pounds per size in the "W" sizes, both in pants and tops.
  • looklucklove
    looklucklove Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height, and how you distribute your weight. I've lost 11 pounds so far and I'm still wearing the same size.

I know from prior experience that if and when I lose the 50 pounds I want to lose, I will go from the tight size 16 I am now, to a just right size 10. But who knows? Maybe I'll lose all the weight in my toes this time and I'll still wear the same size of jeans. :)
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me want to go clothes shopping! Today my trend weight hit 10 lbs less than my starting weight 5 weeks ago. My size 18 pants have been feeling looser, but I've been too scared to try on 16's yet. It took me way longer than 5 weeks to move from a 16 to an 18, so it feels unreal that I could already be able to go back to my 16's. It would be really nice, though.

As far as non-numbered clothing, though, I bought some workout clothes recently (when I was down only maybe 7 lbs) and was surprised that I was able to buy them in an XL instead of an XXL. It was extremely gratifying, although with workout clothes being cut differently, it's hard to say what size I'd be if I were buying something to wear to work or whatever.
  • spacemegaforce
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds and went from a size L shirt, size 10 jeans to S/M shirts and size 6 jeans (sometimes a 4 or a 8 it really depends on the jeans!)
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't think a 2XL to an XL is a difference of a single size. Clothes in general sizes like Medium, Large, etc... are a range of sizes. Besides, sizing in clothing varies so much from brand to brand that just finding a smaller size that fits doesn't necessarily mean you got any smaller. With vanity sizing, your clothing sizes can go down just by staying the same physical size.

Stick with more consistent size measurements like a measuring tape at several locations that you can track over time.

There still is no simple one size fits all answer for how much weight loss equals an inch around your waist, hips, etc... You lose weight all over, but it usually takes longer to see it in the areas where people most want to see it.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    There is no way to determine how you will lose and get in the next size down. I started at 240 and size 24...I am now 164 and size 8

At 170 I was in sizes 18/16/14...at 160 I was in sizes 14/12/10...I lift weights and I keep going down in sizes as the scale lately goes up. I say if you want to lose inches and go down in sizes, lift weights. But don't expect the scale to drop a ton. I lost pounds more by doing cardio but it took a lot more pounds lost to go down in sizes. Good luck in whatever you do and I hope you hit your goal!

Thanks I figure that weights will help with this. I'm lifting weights along with cardio hoping exactly for this. Basically hoping to see inches lost and not necessarily weight.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this but I'm lifting weights along with cardio. I thought at first this would accomplish muscle to be built but earlier today was told I can't build muscle while eating at deficit.

I guess my question then is. Will lifting weight while trying to loose weight accomplish a lost in inches faster than just cardio?
  • RenaTX
    Options
    I don't think a 2XL to an XL is a difference of a single size. Clothes in general sizes like Medium, Large, etc... are a range of sizes. Besides, sizing in clothing varies so much from brand to brand that just finding a smaller size that fits doesn't necessarily mean you got any smaller. With vanity sizing, your clothing sizes can go down just by staying the same physical size.

Stick with more consistent size measurements like a measuring tape at several locations that you can track over time.

There still is no simple one size fits all answer for how much weight loss equals an inch around your waist, hips, etc... You lose weight all over, but it usually takes longer to see it in the areas where people most want to see it.

2XL and XL is not a single size. I'm not saying that it is. The sizes range from 2X, 1X , XL . I know I asked my question about losing one size but I never said that I think the next size from 2X is XL. My question is basically what is it to lose 1 size to gain an understanding as to whether there is something to consider in that process. It didn't make sense for me to ask "How much weight to get down to two sizes" when an understanding of how much weight to consider to get down to one size would work. For two sizes I assume it would mean double what it takes to get down one size for to accomplish two sizes.

I posted that I hope I can go down from 2X to XL. That's my hope /goal. Understanding what it takes just to get down one size would hopefully give me an idea as to whether I can achieve that goal.