Lost Cause

Options
Weight has always been an ongoing issue for me. Im a very curvy girl (mostly below the waist), and because of that doctors have been telling me im overweight since i was 12. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE my curves, as does my husband haha. but it seems almost impossible for me to lose weight. Im currently 203 lbs and i know i NEED to lose weight i just dont know where to start. Ive tried eating better but that doesnt seem to do anything for me. And i lack the motivation to exercise. I cant stick to a plan long enough to see results. What gets u guys motivated to exercise and keep going? Everyday seems like a constant struggle for me.

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is the idea that someday, I will look good, and I will be healthy.

Start small.
    Start by eating a little less and moving a little more.

There are so many fun activities that count as exercise.

You have to find the will/power/want to do it yourself..

If you think you're a lost cause, you're probably right...
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It is certainly challenging getting started when you don't know what to do. For nutrition, what I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for a week. If you lose 1-2 lbs, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few weeks, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

For exercise, it is important to be consistent. 5-6 days/week is ideal. I always incorporate variety in my routines (resistance/weightlifting training, plyometrics, cardio, and yoga).

If you are having trouble staying motivated and are looking for support, I help to run support groups through Facebook. We have lots of people in there that are improving themselves and helping everyone else to stay accountable. We teach about proper nutrition and how to exercise. I'd be happy to chat with you about it if that is something that you're looking for.

Allan
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    K. Here's my 2 cents (and you didn't have to pay for it!). Have fun exercising. I say it all the time because it's true. If you like what you are doing, it is easier to do it. I hate the gym but I like walking and running so that's my primary form of exercise.

How to get started? Walk to the end of the block and back. If you already walk, extend the walks. If you play badminton, play it a little longer. Like hiking, pack yourself some apples and water (my favs :wink: ) and head out!

For food, I also use subs. I eat yogurt instead of ice cream. I tend toward broccoli instead of bread. If I do eat bread, I eat bread I know the cal count on. No sugary soda, lots of tea for me. I eat chicken, fish, or vegetarian about 6 days a week and red meat 1 day.

Best of luck to you!:flowerforyou: