Grams of Protein.

Options
2»

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    As most said above the food item will more than likely list how many grams of protein it has, along with cals and other nutritional information.

And don't get discouraged, there are always a few bad apples in the bunch. Most of us are here to help without the unnecessary sarcasm.

Ignore those types.
  • terryfloresg
    terryfloresg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Linda, you can friend request me anytime. I am willing to help you. It was very hard to understand all this calorie counting this past November for me too.
    Terry
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yeah i don't think people were calling you stupid, but they definitely didn't understand why you'd ask the question. As others have pointed out, X grams of protein could look like a lot different things. It would kind of be like asking what the color blue tastes like. It causes confusion.

EDIT: I guess a better comparison would be asking how many lightbulbs you would need to get X lumens. It would depend on a multitude of factors.

If it's at all helpful, generally when people talk about "servings" of meat, they're talking referring to ~3 ounces of meat, which is approximately the size of a deck of cards.
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to get a minimum of 25% of my calories from protein (on 1400 calorie diet, that would equate to 350 calories or 90 grams of protein) . The general rule of thumb is to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean muscle mass that you have. For example, I'm 125 pounds and my body fat is about 25% so I have about 95 pounds of lean muscle. I try to eat at least 90 grams of protein a day. This can be challenging for me because I'm only 5'0" and don't require many calories anyway. I try to aim for a minimum of 15 grams protein per meal/snack, and I eat about 6 times a day. On days that I struggle getting my protein, I will make a protein shake...

http://www.highproteinfoods.net/

Protein rich foods I love:
    Canned Fish (tuna, salmon)
    Fish Fillets (tuna, salmon, tilapia, mahi),
    Shrimp
    Nuts and Seeds (Almonds, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flaxseed, Sunflower Seeds)
    Nut Butters (Almond, Peanut)
    Chicken Breast
    Turkey Breast
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs/Egg whites
    Cheese (limited to 1-2 servings a day)
    Special K Protein Cereal (has about half the carbs, twice the fiber, and less sugar than most "healthy" cereals)
    Broccoli/Cauliflower
    Brownberry "Double Protein" Bread
    Black Beans
    Hummus
    Milk
    Avocado
    Quinoa