Beginner - Strength routine

Options
Hi I am in my 2nd week of my journey and i started gym this week (so far 3 days and counting). I am looking to start a good weight routine... that will help tone my body while I work on losing the fat....

CW - 213
GW - 128 (height 5,2)

Where do I start? So far I have only been doing cardio..

Replies

• jhuver
    jhuver Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So, I have a lot of back problems, and I was only doing cardio. I was doing really well with that but thought to myself how boring it was and that if I didn't add any strength training that I would definitely plateau soon. My start weight was 240, and in 11 weeks I'm down 22.2 pounds. The one thing that I strongly suggest (especially if you're new to working out and the gym) is getting a personal trainer. I think that was the smartest thing that I did. I've only been with my trainer for about three weeks now, but I feel a lot more confident with doing the exercises properly. I only go to my trainer once a week and I feel like that is enough for me to start off with and get a kickstart on strength training. If you can't afford a trainer there are a lot of websites that show beginner strength training routines. You can also use youtube. I used to follow Chris Freytag's 10 pound slimdown before I hurt my back, and by just doing her workout dvd's and watching my diet I previously lost 50 pounds. I would suggest doing most of the strength training with your own body weight to start with before picking up any weights. I'm not a trainer and I myself am just getting back into that routine, so I thought I would just give you some suggestions and share what has worked for me. Good luck in your journey!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in my 2nd week of my journey and i started gym this week (so far 3 days and counting). I am looking to start a good weight routine... that will help tone my body while I work on losing the fat....

CW - 213
    GW - 128 (height 5,2)

Where do I start? So far I have only been doing cardio..

There are a few proven strength training programs out there that most people will suggest:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    NROLFW
    Ice Cream Fitness
    Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight routine

Resistance is resistance, where you decide to get it from is up to you. Just make sure it's progressive, which is why most people tend to go the way of the barbell.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Bumping for later...
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In to gain insight/info.