Simple guide to weight loss and muscle building

Options
Aaron_K123
Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
Weight loss: Eat less calorically than your body needs to maintain its weight

Muscle building: Eat more calorically than your body needs to maintain its weight and lift heavy things.

Health: Eat and drink to provide your body with sufficient hydration, micro and macro nutrients.

Everything else is appears to be unnecessary details designed to keep our brains entertained long enough that we stick to it.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Muscle building: Eat more calorically than your body needs to maintain its weight and lift heavy things.

Health: Eat and drink to provide your body with sufficient hydration, micro and macro nutrients.

Everything else is appears to be unnecessary details designed to keep our brains entertained long enough that we stick to it.
    :drinker:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Bravo :drinker:

Now for the: I am always in a deficient but I never lose or I even gain weight comments, or I am in a deficient but my 20lb weight gain is all muscle (new lifters have some gains while in a moderate deficient), also the ones that will argue that there are good vs bad calories in regard to weight loss (ie: not body composition or nutrition)

As always Aaron straight and to the point. Great post and simple.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    well said Aaron and it works because I am doing this now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Hey. Just wanted to add that I don't mean to give the impression that I somehow look down at the unnecessary details to keep ourselves entertained. I fully admit I kind of require that, thats why I am here regularly on the forums...keeps me involved, keeps me motivated. Motivation is important of course because if you aren't motivated to act you are likely not going to act, inertia and all. I just recognize that a lot of the things I do to keep myself involved and interested come down to wheel spinning in the grand scheme of things and all that really matters is the calorie deficit for weight loss and the lifting and cardio for fitness. I think that with that attitude you can still find all the detail entertaining but yet no longer stressful because on some level you realize...hey, it doesn't really matter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing I would add would be eat what you "like" and "enjoy" too, but being aware of calorie limits. The rest is good to go!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The ONLY thing I would add would be eat what you "like" and "enjoy" too, but being aware of calorie limits. The rest is good to go!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Oh I think there can be good advice and well reasoned and helpful tips in the "unnecessary" category as well. I just meant what is the actual effector of the weight loss or muscle gain is pretty painfully simple and doesn't need much elaboration. Don't mean to suggest there is no other beneficial advice for how to set yourself for an enjoyable ride.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Get out of here with your logic. Also, we'll said.
    well said Aaron and it works because I am doing this now.
    As stated in another thread you are not doing both at he same time. You cannot eat at a deficit Monday, a surplus on Tuesday, a deficit on Wednesday, a surplus on Thursday and lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. It doesn't work that way.

As stated before, I am doing that so what does that make me. I am getting stronger and lose weight every single week.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Hey guys (MrM and yopeeps). You guys can go at eachother here if you want I'm not actually going to be able to stop you but might I respectfully request we not carry a discussion from a previous thread in here if possible, would hope to keep it bicker free for as long as possible. We all had it out in that other thread, no need to bring it in here unless those claims are made in here and so far I haven't seen that.

I'm no censor so if you keep going I won't say anything more about it just wanted to ask you to think if you'd rather have the message stand or if you want to distract from it this soon.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I have nothing to say anymore to MrM. I rather just show my result then do anymore talking on that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Hey guys (MrM and yopeeps). You guys can go at eachother here if you want I'm not actually going to be able to stop you but might I respectfully request we not carry a discussion from a previous thread in here if possible, would hope to keep it bicker free for as long as possible. We all had it out in that other thread, no need to bring it in here unless those claims are made in here and so far I haven't seen that.

I'm no censor so if you keep going I won't say anything more about it just wanted to ask you to think if you'd rather have the message stand or if you want to distract from it this soon.
    Respectfully,

My message stands.

Fair enough. Was a bit arrogant of me to even say that, feel kind of dirty now. Its a public forum and telling people to "play nice" is just condescending and you aren't deserving of condescension, I apologize
  • TheGoodEmu
    TheGoodEmu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oooh it was so close to being a thread with no battling! ;-)

I like this post. A short and sweet reminder that all of our intricate or nebulous strategies are just different ways to get at the same simple idea.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

I approve of this post :drinker:
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good post, I'll drink to that :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    oh the KISS principal..love it...*two thumbs up*
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    oh the KISS principal..love it...*two thumbs up*

Yes!

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Sweetheart (don't like the use of the word "Stupid" here) :bigsmile:
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Agreed Aaron - sometimes keeping it simple (KISS) surely is the best.

All the rest is just details to get lost in!

:wink: