How do you know what weight is right for you?

walnut
walnut Posts: 216 Member
Hi folks,
I've never been at the same weight in my adult life for more than a year or two, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to weigh. I've also never been happy with my weight, even when in retrospect I should have been. I know the range as recommended by BMI for my height, but that's about a 30 pound spread! I don't know where to aim within that. I do know I have a larger bone/muscle structure, so that tells me a little, but what? I've asked my doctor before and he was of no help; just referred me to the BMI charts. How do you guys know what to aim for?

Replies

• walnut
    Hi folks,
    I've never been at the same weight in my adult life for more than a year or two, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to weigh. I've also never been happy with my weight, even when in retrospect I should have been. I know the range as recommended by BMI for my height, but that's about a 30 pound spread! I don't know where to aim within that. I do know I have a larger bone/muscle structure, so that tells me a little, but what? I've asked my doctor before and he was of no help; just referred me to the BMI charts. How do you guys know what to aim for?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I'm aiming for my wedding weight (14 years ago :blushing: ), then once I get there, which is on the high side of healthy BMI, I'll go on 1/2 maintenance. I'm going to see where my body and mind are comfortable. I mostly want to aim for 22-24% body fat. It's harder to get measured, so I'm going by the scale as well. I'm going to have my BF measured again soon. I started at 30% or so.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    I've changed my goal weight a few times. I started with a goal weight of 135, and then figured that would be a little too small for me. If you are big-boned, I would go with the highest weight on the BMI chart and see how you feel at that weight. If you feel like you should lose some more weight, then lose it, if you feel like you should gain, then gain.

The most important thing is that you're comfortable at the weight that you are. My new goal weight is 160, which is on the obese side of the BMI chart, but I think I would be comfortable there. Just pick a weight that you would be happy at.

:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Lots of websites out there than can help you--google for it and you'll find tons of them. You can determine your body frame size, by the way, by measuring around your wrist right where it joins the hand. And, that is important! Because I have a very large frame, my ideal weight is between 150-160 vs. 120-140 for smaller frames!

Here's one such site;

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    they say that the best bmi out there is 22.
    now i would take that as a gospel because it can really depend on your muscle mass.
    if you work out a lot and you got a good muscle mass, i would up that
    but really. when you look in the mirror and you feel happy, that is when you know its your ideal weight
    of course, be realistic,

may
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Here's a great tool that someone posted a while back. I love the realistic sensibility of it.

http://www.self.com/fitness/nutrition/calculators/happyWeight

• walnut
    Thanks for the info and advice, everyone! I have a better idea at least of the lowest I'd want to go... I think the rest is figuring out what feels right for me.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Another good rule of thumb is the 5 feet tall / 100 lbs rule... It goes like this...

A 5' tall woman's "ideal/lean" weight is 100, and then for every addtional inch of height you add 5 lbs. For example, the equivalent weight for someone who is 5'5" would be 125lbs (5 extra inches x 5lbs per inch = 25 lbs + 100lb base). I learned this from my doctor, and it is basically BMI calculation.

For men, the rule is the same, however you start with 115lbs at 5' and add the 5lbs for every inch (e.g. My hubby is 6'3" which = 190 lbs). He is 192, and pretty muscular and lwow body fat, so this formula does seem to make sense!

I found it helpful as a woman who is 5'8" because I didn't feel as badly about weighing more than a woman who is 5'1"! If I weigh 140 that is proportionately equal to a woman who is 5'1" weighing 105. As a teenager this always bugged me, as even the 130's, back then, seemed like a high number. Just something to think about for all those tall gals out there...
  • walnut
    Another good rule of thumb is the 5 feet tall / 100 lbs rule... It goes like this...

A 5' tall woman's "ideal/lean" weight is 100, and then for every addtional inch of height you add 5 lbs. For example, the equivalent weight for someone who is 5'5" would be 125lbs (5 extra inches x 5lbs per inch = 25 lbs + 100lb base). I learned this from my doctor, and it is basically BMI calculation.

For men, the rule is the same, however you start with 115lbs at 5' and add the 5lbs for every inch (e.g. My hubby is 6'3" which = 190 lbs). He is 192, and pretty muscular and lwow body fat, so this formula does seem to make sense!

I found it helpful as a woman who is 5'8" because I didn't feel as badly about weighing more than a woman who is 5'1"! If I weigh 140 that is proportionately equal to a woman who is 5'1" weighing 105. As a teenager this always bugged me, as even the 130's, back then, seemed like a high number. Just something to think about for all those tall gals out there...

Hmm, that sounds really biased toward a certain body type... I'm 5'1", and at my lowest weight of 108, I looked too thin and actually set out to gain weight. But I have a larger bone & muscle structure, so I weigh more than average even when healthy. My friend on the other hand, who's about the same height as me, is fine-boned, and has small muscles no matter how much she works out, would find that her weight according to that formula would be too high (she is like the tiniest person you'd ever meet). Hmm, I guess maybe that accounts for the 30 lb. spread within the healthy BMI range?

It's funny - as a short gal, I irrationally think, not fair that tall people get to weigh more! Think how much more I'd get to eat if I were taller! Silly, I know...:tongue:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    I will know my goal weight when the waddle of fat disappears from my inner thighs :)
  • AJCM
    Walnut - it's based on the same principle as the BMI - just a general rule of thumb! This is based on "average", so take off 5lbs for small frame, add 5lbs for large frame - but again, this is very general. It, like the BMI is flawed in terms of accounting for muscle. The best guide really is body fat measurment, because you know exactly what is fat, and what is lean tissue.

I always think it's funny in magazines, when they line up the celebrities and say that Sarah Jessica Parker at 5'3" is too skinny at 110 lbs, but a super skinny Angelina Jolie is a fine weight at 125 and 5'7"! It's the same BMI!!!

I agree with Helaway - everyone knows their ideal weight when they feel GOOD at that size! The BMI range is also a good guide - for 5'8" I can be anywhere from the 120's to the 160's... use that guide!
    :smile:

Walnut - you will know when you get there! Good luck!
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    To be exact you would have to do a body fat and bmi test, I do pinch test on clients with calipers to get the most accurate reading then compare it to my charts
  • walnut
    I will know my goal weight when the waddle of fat disappears from my inner thighs :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm waiting for the waddle (roll) of fat under my bellybutton to disappear!
  • walnut
    To be exact you would have to do a body fat and bmi test, I do pinch test on clients with calipers to get the most accurate reading then compare it to my charts

Where are some places to get this done? I am not a member of a gym. Is it an expensive test?
  • walnut
    Walnut - it's based on the same principle as the BMI - just a general rule of thumb! This is based on "average", so take off 5lbs for small frame, add 5lbs for large frame - but again, this is very general. It, like the BMI is flawed in terms of accounting for muscle. The best guide really is body fat measurment, because you know exactly what is fat, and what is lean tissue.

I always think it's funny in magazines, when they line up the celebrities and say that Sarah Jessica Parker at 5'3" is too skinny at 110 lbs, but a super skinny Angelina Jolie is a fine weight at 125 and 5'7"! It's the same BMI!!!

I agree with Helaway - everyone knows their ideal weight when they feel GOOD at that size! The BMI range is also a good guide - for 5'8" I can be anywhere from the 120's to the 160's... use that guide!
    :smile:

Walnut - you will know when you get there! Good luck!

Yeah, there is so much nonsense in the media about celebrities' bodies...:noway:

Thanks for your input! :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Walnut - there are some sites on the net that will give you a general calculation of your body fat % (you just need a tape measure) and I asked my trainer about these methods, and she that although they are not 100% accurate, they are generally only off by a percent or two, so I think that is pretty good! Search for "body fat calculators" online...