sam48126
sam48126 Posts: 21
Did ecigs work for anyone here?

thanks

Replies

• surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke 40 a day, I found that every time I put pressure on myself to stop, I failed. Since last January, I only smoke when incredibly drunk. I took the pressure off myself and this has been the only way I've been able to break the habit.

Good luck!
  • sam48126
    sam48126 Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to smoke 40 a day, I found that every time I put pressure on myself to stop, I failed. Since last January, I only smoke when incredibly drunk. I took the pressure off myself and this has been the only way I've been able to break the habit.

Good luck!

I can't even last 1 day, such weak will power i have
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    you have to really want to quit. i smoked for years and finally one day decided i was done. i cut way back and eventually stopped. i chew a lot of gum now and that seems to help. I did have a weak moment last weekend and smoked probably 4 cigs throughout the weekend. i was REALLY stressed out. but thats the first time i have in FOREVER now
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm so stubborn, I needed someone to BET me that I couldn't do it!!! My momma bet me I couldn't last 2 weeks without booze and cigarettes. I wanted so badly to prove her wrong that I did it and two years on I drink much less than I did and barely smoke (only when I'm out with friends who smoke). I broke the back of the habit and the routine and that worked for me.

Start little. Just don't have that morning one - or that late night one. Gradually shift your routine so your body doesn't "need" one at a certain time - once you've messed with that psychological side of it then that's the biggest hurdle. The chemical addiction itself is the small hurdle - it's your brain that you have to battle with first.
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You can do it brother! You picked up a cigarette and started smoking and you can put that cigarette down and stop.

Look a reason up to quit every single day in order to give your mind something else to fixate on before lighting up. Your lungs aren't meant to be a tar sands deposit, they were meant to breathe fresh air - be smart and allow yourself to heal. Focus on losing one crave at a time as they come until they dissipate for good.

This video for example, shows the toxic residue left behind from a few packs of smokes that you're forcing your body to somehow deal with after it sticks to your lungs... imagine what even a few days of smoking can do let alone years. No coddling here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DbFBu_I_lA
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I've been there bro, you can do it - you just need to want to quit bad enough.

as for ecig, I tried it and it was terrible because if anything I went from 4 real cigs a day to prob about 6-8.

The best advice I can give is to replace cigs with mentos, and carry the mentos around popping them whenever a craving comes.

I'm currently about 12 days cig free, however I stumbled and had one at a rock show. - just don't beat yourself up.. reward yourself for your accomplishments instead.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30+ years, and have quit for over 4 years now using e-cigs. Not the convenience store kind though. You need something better. This message board is full of info!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

E-cigs are the best thing that ever happened to me. I had tried cold turkey, classes, gum, the patch, and nothing worked until I used an e-cig. I think for me the fact that it takes care of the hand to mouth thing was just as important as the nicotine.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    worked for me. then i went back to smoking. :frown:
  • chantellelouise03
    Options
    I love smoking my bf doesn't like it so I don't do it anymore.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    I love smoking my bf doesn't like it so I don't do it anymore.
    it can look really hot sometime though
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    as for the OP i just used chewing gum, normal gum not the nicotine stuff, when ever i wanted a cig i just popped in some gum, that worked for me. and i tried to keep my hands busy.
  • hig17
    hig17 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Did ecigs work for anyone here?

thanks

I used the E cigarette to quit in October of 2012. I used it until the end of the year (December) and then stopped completely. Couldn't be more happy and I haven't felt this great since well...ever!

There are going to be negatives for the e cigarette, but I say if you use it as it is intended as a tool to quit then what could be the harm. The benefit of quitting smoking cigarettes GREATLY outweighs whatever risks may be associated with the E cig.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options

"There is no evidence that vaping produces inhalable exposures to contaminants of the aerosol that would warrant health concerns by the standards that are used to ensure safety of workplaces" From the article above ^^

As a smoker (going on 30 years) I've tried just about everything short of hynosis and believe that as others have noted there is the duality of will power as well as physical addiction. These are my next step. The irony is that I don't believe that they can be any worse than what I'm smoking right now.
    The link above has 9 points of which only 2 have anything to do with actually using them. The rest are about taxes, advertising and availability.
    I say we can try them together and good luck to you because I think I'm finally ready to quit!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30+ years, and have quit for over 4 years now using e-cigs. Not the convenience store kind though. You need something better. This message board is full of info!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

E-cigs are the best thing that ever happened to me. I had tried cold turkey, classes, gum, the patch, and nothing worked until I used an e-cig. I think for me the fact that it takes care of the hand to mouth thing was just as important as the nicotine.

I smoked about a pack and a half a day. On the advice of one of my MFP friends I tried the e-cig and have not had a real cigarette in over a month. I started at the highest level of nicotine and am already down 4 levels. Straubrey is correct though, don't get the disposable convenience store ones. Like Blu or Njoy. I would recommend looking to see if they have a vapor cig store near you. That way you can go down there and they are really good about helping you get started.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's tough for sure. I did it years ago, long before the e-cigarette and the only thing that ultimately worked for me was cold turkey. My BF though has been a smoker for 25 years and she switched last year to e-cigs and feels much better. She still hasn't quit though - she ultimately traded in one habit for another. Is it better for her lungs? probably, I can't say for sure, but at least she doesn't huff and puff like she used to when walking and the yucky smoke smell is gone.
  • cheekym7
    cheekym7 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Have you read Allen Carrs easy way to stop smoking? Can't hurt....... ;)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Unless you are getting an e-cig with 0% nicotine you are pretty much just transfering your addiction from one form to another. Yes, you aren't getting the tar and all the other horrible things that are in actual cigarettes, but in my opinion the only way to quit is cold turkey. I also recommend that if you do slip up and have a cigarette, don't beat yourself up about it. Just keep trying and you can do it. Good luck!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware of e cigs when I quit but I used patches and they helped tremendously. Tomorrow will be 5 years and 11 months since I smoked.