What do "pre-work out" supplements help with?

I'm looking into these products I see at the gym and GNC. What do they do? Since I work out after a long nine hour day at work, I feel like I need some sort of stimulant to help me not be sluggish.

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    I would go with something with sugar, like a banana! You know how sugar is supposed makes kids bounce off walls? That's exactly what you're aiming for here! Additionally, it would help fuel your workout. :)

Even better--an energy bar with a mix of sugar, complex carbs, and protein!
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    I would go with something sugary, like a banana! You know how sugar is supposed makes kids bounce off walls? That's exactly what you're aiming for here! Additionally, it would help fuel your workout. :)

A banana would just be adding carbs in the form of sugar (fructose) to my diet. That won't help with the fat burning goal at the gym if my insulin levels are elevated.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    I'm sure that type of thing contains caffeine so if I were you I'd save my money and just have a coffee if you feel like you need a boost before working out.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Caffeine is the biggy normally.
    Then a few carbs etc and often some other random bits and pieces.

Careful though, I saw another thread get locked for discussing caffeine "supplements"!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Pre-workout supplements mainly lighten your pocket. Unless you do heavy lifting and want to take one with creatine you could just drink coffee like another poster suggested. Also a small snack might be a good idea, bananas are actually great
  • geebusuk
    No need to take creatine specifically pre-workout as far as I know.
    You need a program of taking it daily; the timing for taking it I don't believe makes a difference.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Boosting energy mainly for me. Fasted cardio in the AM and lift in the PM here.
    Drink green tea during the day, carb up before leaving the office and on my way to the gym I go for caffeine, beta alanine and BCAA.
    Keeps me going during my work out with a steady output of energy.
    No too keen on ready made pre-work outs purely because I lift in the evening and all the ones i have tried have affect my sleep.
  • abadvat
    No need to take creatine specifically pre-workout as far as I know.
    You need a program of taking it daily; the timing for taking it I don't believe makes a difference.

Agreed - pre is not really necessary IMO, if at all i'd go for post.
    Depletion of glycogen, ana / cata state - post WO shake with carbs, protein and a shot of creatine would be more effective.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    I would go with something sugary, like a banana! You know how sugar is supposed makes kids bounce off walls? That's exactly what you're aiming for here! Additionally, it would help fuel your workout. :)

A banana would just be adding carbs in the form of sugar (fructose) to my diet. That won't help with the fat burning goal at the gym if my insulin levels are elevated.

Nope.

A natural source of carbs and sugar (and you're really only looking at 100 calories max) will most certainly help you any more than some sort of gimmicky little pill or supplement.

Whoever heard of anybody getting fat from eating a banana before a work-out? Keep it natural, buddy.
  • abadvat

If you see it from that perpective carbs and fats are essential in a pre workout.
    Quantities might vary depending on the type of workout and the intensity.
    You need to fuel your body pre and post based on the type of workout you will undertake and your goals.
    A banana will not affect your fat burning just like carbs are not making people gaining fat.
  • Perhaps contrary to the beliefs of most people, I think that drinking beer helps me lose weight. When I drink beer, I lose my appetite completely. I understand that the medical profession will tell you otherwise, but I do not think the medical profession in general know what they are talking about most of the time. But that's just my personal opinion.
    http://safercolonreal.com/
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Protein bars

Protein shakes

Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, boiled eggs pre workout or after!!

Protein will keep you fuller for longer!!!
  • geebusuk

A natural source of carbs and sugar (and you're really only looking at 100 calories max) will most certainly help you any more than some sort of gimmicky little pill or supplement.
    Why.
    Also, would you suggest people have food high in fructose pre-workout?
    Fructose isn't very good at topping up muscle glycogen stores, while glucose and sucrose are much better.
    A ripe banana actually has quite a bit of sucrose.
    As far as workout energy goes, you'd do as well or better to just have a couple of tea spoons of sugar, I'd suggest.
    The potassium may possibly be useful if you're doing something that could result in cramps.

For what it's worth, I make sure I've had a "balanced meal" a while before a weights workout or a strenous cardio workout. Light cardio workouts I'll often do fasted if they're early morning - just because it fits my eating pattern, rather than specifically doing it fasted for a reason.
    I'll also often have a can of coke zero before the workout - as I drink it regularly however, it's more a case of keeping me at my normal level.
    When I did an ultramarathon I took a 'lean' protein bar which was really high in caffeine, cut it up into bits and ate them on the way around.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    They mostly contain caffeine BCAA's etc. if you're working out in the evening this could affect your sleep. I'd suggest some actual food before your workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'm looking into these products I see at the gym and GNC. What do they do? Since I work out after a long nine hour day at work, I feel like I need some sort of stimulant to help me not be sluggish.

So it sounds like your issue is more the time gap between eating and training, rather than anything more sophisticated. The main weight loss benefits of most of these supplements, for most people, is in lightening your wallet.

Is there any way to eat lunch later, or have a mid afternoon snack that'll keep you going?

I generally run in the evenings mid week, after a similar length day at work, so I'm getting out on the road at about 1900. If I don't eat between lunch at about 1300 and going out I'll burn out, it's not fun to suddenly fold 5km away from wherever I happen to be staying that night.

What I generally do now is eat a granola bar, some dried fruit or a couple of handfulls of mixed nuts at about 1630, which seems to do for my needs.

As far as supplements go, on long runs I'll take a bottle of electrolyte and a bottle of water with me, and afterwards I'll down a bottle of SIS recovery drink. I carry a couple of gels, and sometimes use one of them about 8 miles into the session. that's in the context of having had a decent breakfast; porridge, nuts, banana, coffee and water about an hour before stepping out..

The main thing is what fuel do you need for your session, some combination of carbs and fats as appropriate to what you're doing?
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    I eat around 2 hours before my workouts, things like chicken and veg.
    The only time I use supplements is post workouts, ensuring protein for muscle repair (no matter what exercise you do, your muscles take a thrashing).
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Bea-alanine is good to have in your pre-workout. Personally I just take some beta-alanine. I take creatine at some point too but makes no difference if you have it pre-workout or not.

Beta-alanine on it's own will suffice. Brilliant stuff. Works a treat. Especially if you're in one of those 'I can't be arsed to go up the gym' moods, take some and in a few minutes you'll feel it and have no choice but to go to the gym!

Nothing else really matters. Meal timing doesn't matter that much although the very latest research does show that protein pre-workout can help. But as long as you've had some through the day it makes little difference. But if you're training faster from the night before it shows it's probably better to have some protein before working out. And if you don't have some before working out... it's essential to have some post-workout. Below is one of the most recent studies to backup what I just said:

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
  • Hell_Flower

Why.
    Also, would you suggest people have food high in fructose pre-workout?
    Fructose isn't very good at topping up muscle glycogen stores, while glucose and sucrose are much better.
    A ripe banana actually has quite a bit of sucrose.
    As far as workout energy goes, you'd do as well or better to just have a couple of tea spoons of sugar, I'd suggest.
    The potassium may possibly be useful if you're doing something that could result in cramps.

For what it's worth, I make sure I've had a "balanced meal" a while before a weights workout or a strenous cardio workout. Light cardio workouts I'll often do fasted if they're early morning - just because it fits my eating pattern, rather than specifically doing it fasted for a reason.
    I'll also often have a can of coke zero before the workout - as I drink it regularly however, it's more a case of keeping me at my normal level.
    When I did an ultramarathon I took a 'lean' protein bar which was really high in caffeine, cut it up into bits and ate them on the way around.

Pre-work out food is'nt brain surgery.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this obsession with over-thinking all the tiny little details in relation to working out, but each to their own. If it works for you then you just do your thing.

I was recommending something simple which works (for me). Yes, it's got fructose in it, but it's not excessive. I wasn't saying eat a whole pineapple, washed down with orange juice, maybe have a couple of apples and a mango.

Do bananas work? Yes, they do. Many times they have powered me right through an hours run and 30 mins mat/weight work. Have I gained weight from it? Nope. Do I feel pretty damn good afterwards? Yep.

It's just a banana. Simple, effective, clean.

But as I say, each to their own. Just wanting to recommend something that has worked for me, without the need for expensive supplements and over-thinking etc.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member

Pre-work out food is'nt brain surgery.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this obsession with over-thinking all the tiny little details in relation to working out, but each to their own. If it works for you then you just do your thing.

I was recommending something simple which works (for me). Yes, it's got fructose in it, but it's not excessive. I wasn't saying eat a whole pineapple, washed down with orange juice, maybe have a couple of apples and a mango.

Do bananas work? Yes, they do. Many times they have powered me right through an hours run and 30 mins mat/weight work. Have I gained weight from it? Nope. Do I feel pretty damn good afterwards? Yep.

It's just a banana. Simple, effective, clean.

But as I say, each to their own. Just wanting to recommend something that has worked for me, without the need for expensive supplements and over-thinking etc.

the effects of a banana and the effects of a stimulant are totally different.
    I feel like I need some sort of stimulant to help me not be sluggish.

that's what the op asked for.

everyone likes to post 'what works for them' without actually reading or answering the question at hand. I love a banana before a workout as much as the next person but if someone asks me how to add 10kg to their max bench press my answer isn't going to be have a banana before your workout.
    Since I work out after a long nine hour day at work

do you plan on sleeping when you get home from your workout? you might want to stay away from anything too stimulant heavy as this will keep you awake. I would start with a coffee first and see how that works for you, some of the pre-workouts have 300-400 mg caffeine and that's a lot if you aren't used to stimulants.
  • geebusuk
    Oh dear - gone and used the 'C' word.

How about this - if you're not into overthinking just suggest "food with sugar in it"?

Although, I have to say if eating a banana made me feel "pretty damn good", I'd do it a whole lot more!

No problem with you recommending it because it worked for you - quite sensible.

Recommending it as "will most certainly help you (any) more than" without backing it up, not so much.
  • Hell_Flower
    Oh dear - gone and used the 'C' word.

How about this - if you're not into overthinking just suggest "food with sugar in it"?

Although, I have to say if eating a banana made me feel "pretty damn good", I'd do it a whole lot more!

No problem with you recommending it because it worked for you - quite sensible.

Recommending it as "will most certainly help you (any) more than" without backing it up, not so much.

Mmmok. Because recommending "food with sugar in it" - would a Mars Bar work as well? Technically yes, but realistically with OP wanting to lose a few pounds and in the long term in relation to eating habits, not so much.

I know the difference between bananas and stimulants. Stimulants f***** me right up for a long time.

How about if we agree to disagree?

OP - on you go, good luck with your goals! :)
  • geebusuk
    Nothing wrong with a Mars bar for any of the things you mentioned.
    You could just eat 100 calories of it.
    Don't see the problem with eating habits or weight loss. Weight loss is, of course, directly related to calorie deficit.
    If anything, many here seem to think learning to eat chocolate and sweets 'sustainably' is something to aim for.

Protein powder **** me up. Doesn't mean I won't recommend it to others.
  • MeanderingMammal
    I feel like I need some sort of stimulant to help me not be sluggish.

that's what the op asked for.

everyone likes to post 'what works for them' without actually reading or answering the question at hand. I love a banana before a workout as much as the next person but if someone asks me how to add 10kg to their max bench press my answer isn't going to be have a banana before your workout.
    [/quote]

Equally, notwithstanding the diabetes issue which wasn't in the original post, the originator doesn't have particularly sophisticated sports nutrition needs. The profile and post history indicate someone who's still trying to work out what the hel to do to improve fitness and lose weight.

There is no point in spending money on supplements at this stage in the journey. The stimulant that's needed is food and nothing more spectacular.

Once he's lost the weight and worked out what his longer term sports objectives are, then he'll be better paced to start p!ssing his money away on lots of supplements if that's what he wants to do.
  • Hell_Flower

Protein powder **** me up. Doesn't mean I won't recommend it to others.

That sort thinking I don't understand. At all. But the great thing about everyone being different is that I don't have to.

Like I said, agree to disagree.
  • geebusuk
    You don't understand that I appreciate something which doesn't work for me will still work for the majority of people?
  • abadvat
    Huey Hey - everything went all funky and stuff!

OP - carbs and fat are needed before a work out to ensure energy levels are constant - how much / what? Find what works for you.

Pre workout - some do, some don't - your call, your choice.
    There are normal and basic ones and strong ones - what they are for - increase energy levels / suppress fatigue, be more focused, increase strength mainly.
    Everyone has his own mind set on the topic and reactions to the product(s).
    Are they needed? For some yes, for some not - are they necessary? If you eat, drink and sleep well no.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member

There is no point in spending money on supplements at this stage in the journey. The stimulant that's needed is food and nothing more spectacular.

Once he's lost the weight and worked out what his longer term sports objectives are, then he'll be better paced to start p!ssing his money away on lots of supplements if that's what he wants to do.

if you read my post i recommended a coffee pre workout, not a pre-workout supplement.

are you aware of the costs of 100 caffeine pills or a jar of instant coffee? It would cheaper than 100 bananas.

again, food isn't going to give the same stimulus as caffeine, by the way caffeine is one of the most comprehensively studied compounds for performance enhancement and has been shown to work consistently. Let's not act like i'm recommending the op spend his money on magic beans.

has the op even stated if he has a pre-workout meal or not in this thread? we are all just assuming he doesn't.

the op could also have a pre-workout meal AND some kind of stimulant, they aren't mutually exclusive.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Vitamin Shoppe usually has free packets of them and I always try them plus I won a jar of PWO there a few weeks ago and use it before I go to the gym. What I've noticed about most PWOs I've tried:

Make my ribs and tops of my ears tingly.

Taste like what I'd imagine flavored radioactive waste would be like.

Maybe help a little bit with alertness but not enough to make it worth actually paying money for it.

I've noticed taking a caffeine pill with my breakfast, which also includes protein powder and a cup of coffee, tends to help me get through my morning jog sometimes and the caffeine pills were cheap. A pill on top of coffee may not be a good idea for everybody, though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    if you read my post i recommended a coffee pre workout, not a pre-workout supplement.

are you aware of the costs of 100 caffeine pills or a jar of instant coffee? It would cheaper than 100 bananas.

again, food isn't going to give the same stimulus as caffeine, by the way caffeine is one of the most comprehensively studied compounds for performance enhancement and has been shown to work consistently. Let's not act like i'm recommending the op spend his money on magic beans.

I think we're in agreement here, the originator asked if magic beans have any effect, and most people are saying now they don't.
    has the op even stated if he has a pre-workout meal or not in this thread? we are all just assuming he doesn't.

the op could also have a pre-workout meal AND some kind of stimulant, they aren't mutually exclusive.

It's a reasonable assessment that if someone is finishing a day at work and then training then it might be about intake. The question has been asked, but hasn't had an answer. The point about diabetes came out in the second contribution, there may be other issues, hence my own recommendation to keep it simple and just eat food. fwiw I'd categorise drinking cofee within that as well.

As I recall the recommendations about using coffee as a pre session race stimulant assume a period of abstention prior. For me, not having a coffee before going out will have an adverse effect, having one isnt going to do anything.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 141 Member
    I use a pre every time I hit the gym. Why? Gives me a little boost, kind of gets me "in the mood" to work out (though I'm sure it's a mental thing), tastes freaking delicious. Why not?

If you try a pre, ones that contain beta alanine can make your skin tingle (head, arms, etc - depends on the person). I've never experienced the tingles so I can't tell you what to expect. But don't be alarmed - it's normal.

You'll always find people who say "Do this!" or "Don't even think about it - go natural!"... make the decision for yourself. Try it, see if you like it. Don't try it and go another route. Just do what works for YOU. :smile: