Fat/Protein/Carb Goals

Options
I'm wondering what amounts people have set their fat/protein/carb goals to and what has been found to be useful. I was originally on the settings MFP creates but wanted to change things round a bit. I'm going over quite often on protein and so I might put that higher and carbs lower but I don't really know what's best.

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I am focusing on strength gains and have mine set to P=40, F=30, C=30. MFP has carbs set way high by default, regardless of your goals.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I am focusing on strength gains and have mine set to P=40, F=30, C=30. MFP has carbs set way high by default, regardless of your goals.

I might have a go at this, I'm focusing on strength gains too but think I would find the carbs level really hard to stick to, i could keep it under on default but when i set it to, P-40, F-20 and C-40 to test that out I found it always went over. What sort of foods do you eat?
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 55 carbs/25 protein/20 fat. I have more energy and lose fat keeping my carbs right where MFP sets them, but I prefer less fat and more protein than the default settings.
  • End6ame
    Options

I might have a go at this, I'm focusing on strength gains too but think I would find the carbs level really hard to stick to, i could keep it under on default but when i set it to, P-40, F-20 and C-40 to test that out I found it always went over. What sort of foods do you eat?

All clean no processed foods. Milk, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, ground turkey, chicken, canned tuna, fruits, veggies, granola. I also try an limit starchy carbs simply because they are more calorie dense and I'd rather get my calories from proteins.
  • End6ame
    Options
    My advice on keeping your carbs lower would be to cut out the cereal and cut back on bread products. Also the Nesquick and light mayo could easily go. Use regular mayo, the light has more sugar. Eating fat does not make you fat, excess calories do. Eat more meats and cheese. That way your calories stay where they should and your carbs stay lower.

Just my two cents though.

Also since you are into strength training, check out www.stronglifts.com. It is the routine i use and will add strength faster than any other routine out there.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    My advice on keeping your carbs lower would be to cut out the cereal and cut back on bread products. Also the Nesquick and light mayo could easily go. Use regular mayo, the light has more sugar. Eating fat does not make you fat, excess calories do. Eat more meats and cheese. That way your calories stay where they should and your carbs stay lower.

Also since you are into strength training, check out www.stronglifts.com. It is the routine i use and will add strength faster than any other routine out there.
    Just curious why you're advising the OP to keep carbs lower.
  • End6ame
    Options

Just curious why you're advising the OP to keep carbs lower.

Based upon her input

And since she is focusing on strength, fats and proteins are better for progression.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you're help :) I've been looking into alternative breakfasts to have instead of cereal everyday and also trying to get more meats in dinners instead of pasta, which I have alot and could have with anything.

I'll have a look at the website, I try to change my routine around every now and again, based on how I feel or if I've hit a plateau so it's always good to have new ideas.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    30% fat, 15% protein, 55% carbs is what I figured the Mediterranean Diet lifestyle lives by so I set mine for that and am having success. I eat a lot of avocado, use extra virgin olive oil, eat blanched almonds. That's mostly my fat. Protein is lean. The MD is little to no processed food. I love it and feel much better!

I had success for many years eating low fat/processed food. I used 10-15% fat, 25-28% protein and the rest carbs. Didn't matter to me what I ate as long as I stayed w/in that range. Not very tasty and I don't recommend it anymore.

The Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest in all of the world. It's not about low fat processed food anymore. It's about whole foods that keep you healthy. This is our inexpensive health care and we eat rich!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    50 fat / 35 protein / 15 carb

I cannot, for the life of me, succeed with any form of low fat eating.
  • yakoali
    yakoali Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am at 50 carbs, 30 protein and 20 fat. And for me it's hard to keep fat that low and carbs that high. I try but I am still usually under goal with carbs.