Thin people that are never cold.

Options
I enjoy being thin like other people now, but puzzles me, I always have to dress very warmy, in fact i'm always cold 24/7.

Yet very early in the morning I see thin people get on the train, in just shorts and t-shirt, and here's me with jeans, leather jacket, beanie, just trying to stay warm on my way to work.

Will the coldness feeling ever go? Maybe when my body get used to its new weight?

Replies

• Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The perception of cold and how well someone tolerates uncomfortable temperatures differs greatly from person to person. Entirely possible the people you see are just naturally less bothered by it.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe your lacking iron??? They put me on iron tablets for a while, and a list of foods high in iron!

When I was at my skinniest, I was ALWAYS tired, and ALWAYS so cold!! I always wanted the heating on in the car, when my sister was sweating, Always having hot drinks or hot soups to warm me up!

Get your thyroid glands checked and do a blood test at your docs!!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    They probably have a more active metabolism. This explains both why they are warm, and probably also why they are thin.

I am cold now, I was cold when I was 20 kilos heavier, and that comes from the same source as my weight problems: hypothyroidism.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've always been thin. When I was a kid, I didn't notice the cold. As an adult, I'm sensitive to it (and it's why I live in a warm climate.) For me, it's not a thin thing, it's an old thing... :laugh:
  • Sinaasappel
    Options
    This article explains some of the reasons why you feel cold after weight loss
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/305720-how-come-when-you-lose-weight-you-feel-cold/
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When I was in HS, I used to walk to school (about a mile) in the dead of winter with soaking wet hair (shower) and my winter coat wide open. I was thin then but it didn't bother me. Now I'm always freezing.

To be fair, my parents have been overweight for a long time and now they tell me they're very cold in the winter (nowadays) because the fat keeps in the cold. LOL.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ahh that explains it, I've slowed down my metabolism a lot, And being older the most thin people I see, there doesn't help much either, I unsure about if it made me feel also more tired also, I'm just as tired a lot even when I was obese, but then I only give myself 5-6 hours sleep a night these days.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any real answer someone can give you. It totally depends on your body. There's people like me, who prefers about 60°F and then there's my dad who will turn the heat on in the house when it's 75 outside.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    low blood pressure and heart rate here and I feel the cold too.
  • sandra211061
    sandra211061 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i really feel the cold since losing nearly 9 stone ... i put it down to loss of blubba ... im going to look at other things now
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you put on some more muscle, you won't be cold.

I saw a study (that someone posted on one of these threads, thank you) that said 75% of your body warmth comes from muscle. The other 25% comes from fat and skin. Which makes sense when you think about it.

Your muscles cover up your vital organs, even more than fat, because of where they're built on the body. Fat usually gathers heavily in the belly and not in other areas.

Also think about retirement homes. The heat is always blasting because older people have little muscle left. They need to keep their bodies stable at 98.6 degrees.

Big picture - evolution always favors the strong in the animal kingdom, and the strong have more muscle.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The above does seem to make sense with my own personal experience. I used to feel the cold a lot more before I started training more and doing more total body weight work ie compound movements. I seem to "run" hotter.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Ahh that explains it, I've slowed down my metabolism a lot, And being older the most thin people I see, there doesn't help much either, I unsure about if it made me feel also more tired also, I'm just as tired a lot even when I was obese, but then I only give myself 5-6 hours sleep a night these days.

There are also individual situations that might make one colder. Aside from being thin, I find that I am colder/can't shake the chills or the deep cold I feel in my body: (1) If I haven't eaten yet or in awhile and (2) If I'm really tired or lacking sleep.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My skinny skinny kids are never cold. They are adult sized and over 6'. I just assume they have really fast metabolism.

I was skinny and cold at their age and was cold when I was heavier. Not as cold now. It's more exercise and the circulation. I can tell I'm cold but I don't feel cold. If that makes any sense.

My husband says my FEET are cold - and they are like ice. But that's definitely circulation.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    maybe different but I used to be hot all the time, not that I've lost a few pounds im freezing!
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals.
  • positivity1967
    Options
    If you put on some more muscle, you won't be cold.

I saw a study (that someone posted on one of these threads, thank you) that said 75% of your body warmth comes from muscle. The other 25% comes from fat and skin. Which makes sense when you think about it.

Your muscles cover up your vital organs, even more than fat, because of where they're built on the body. Fat usually gathers heavily in the belly and not in other areas.

Also think about retirement homes. The heat is always blasting because older people have little muscle left. They need to keep their bodies stable at 98.6 degrees.

Big picture - evolution always favors the strong in the animal kingdom, and the strong have more muscle.

thats fascinating stuff and something ive never thought of before either so i thank you too (me too, i was always hot before i lost 70lbs now im the total opposite and its a standing joke with the family how cold i always am!)
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought I was the only one! Now that I've gone down 2 sizes, I get cold easily during long-haul bus rides!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I am always freezing and do know a few thinner people who tolerate the cold.....how they do is a mystery?

That isn't me, I am cold and bundled up and hate it that here in S Florida some places are very cold inside.
    Public transportation tends to be overly air conditioned as well as some restaurants.

At home and at work it will help if you keep an electric heating pad in your lap, that will allow you to be warm without making everyone uncomfortable - I've been doing that for years. Not sure if you drive but in my truck , having individually heated seats serves the same purpose ---no need to heat the entire vehicle but just my own seat .

It isn't easy to function normally when all you can think of is how cold it is❄️????❄️
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    It is a mystery to me also. I went from being the kid who hated wearing coats to never leaving home without sweater as an adult. Weird stuff. Before and after losing 46 pounds.