Sudden rapid weight loss

Options
So I've been exercising and eating right for about 3 months now and I've been doing great. I lost 20 pounds doing the c25k program, which I finished about 2 weeks ago. Recently my girlfriend and I decided to try out the t25 program, so we started using it on April 27. Also, I decided to up my protein from 80g (20%) to 160g (35%).

Now, I've been losing weight at a steady pace- about 1-1.5 pounds a week, sometimes more. But exactly after I started these changes, my weight loss seemed to speed up quite a bit. I use a good quality scale that has been working great, and I'm sure it can't be malfunctioning all of a sudden. According to the scale, I've lost about 5 pounds in 10 days. This is way much more than my usual weight loss progress. Is that even really possible? My hrm doesn't indicate that I have been burning much more calories than I do when I run, and my diet hasn't changed TOO much besides an increase in protein through grilled chicken and the Kashi Go Lean cereal. I am maintaining my calorie goal, which is 1640 (I eat 1800-1900 and workout to reach my net goal of 1640 or less)

I'm not opposed to the sudden increase of weight loss speed, I'm just puzzled by it. Did anyone else experience something similar this in their journey? Is it maybe because of the sudden change in exercise and increase of protein?

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on finishing the C25k program :).

I wouldn't bee too worried about the weight loss. It can speed up or slow down temporarily when you start a new workout program. But if something doesn't feel right along with the rapid weightloss (as in rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, insomnia, shakes, headaches, pain, nausea, etc), should make an appointment to see your doc to figure out what's going on.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hi, Whenever you switch programs and do something new, you're doing something your body has not adapted to. This will results in a period of time when your results will be accelerated. As long as you are getting in enough calories/day (1800-2000 cal/day total), it's fine. Once your body begins to adapt to your new program, it'll level off a bit.

Allan