5:2 diet - What can you eat?

Options
The 5:2 diet days that for 5 days you need a normal amount of calories and then for 2 days you only eat 600 calories. But is there any types of foods that I should be eating? They don't make it clear if you got to eat healthier food to be successful or if you can eat whatever you want.

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I believe it's just a calorie controlled diet, so you eat maintenance calories (make sure you eat maintenance and not less) for 5 days a week and then the 500 / 600 calories on two days. If your aim is weight loss and you stick to those rules then it will work whatever you are eating.

I'm sure there are other health benefits from eating particular foods, but just for weight loss, count the calories and it will happen.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7953-5-2-fasting

Group to join ....fast days are easier if you stick to protein and veg... But whatever if you can do that.

On feast days it's whatever.

The group can answer anything about the method. Cheers
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever, just fit it into your calorie allowance. As you get used to only being allowed 500/600kcal a day on fasting days, you learn what to pick.

I started with a bit of fruit for lunch and then a simple dinner of salad. Now I opt for saving my full 500kcal for the dinner (minus drinks throughout the day of black tea/coffee) and it gives me more flexibility.

Lots of green veg to bulk up meals, modest amount of protein and try to keep white carbs to a minimum on fast days - calories are important and you'll learn what's right for you and your body on the restriction days.

Join the group, add some people, and ask away. If we start chanting "one of us, one of us" I apologise in advance.

Good luck :)
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So can I eat whatever I want for all 7 days of the week or can I only eat whatever I want for 5 days?

Another question I have is have my 600 calorie days gotta be 2 days in a row or can I space it out throughout the week?
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want, but you'll need to make sure you're still coming in at a reasonable deficit for your weekly total or you won't lose weight. Your five days should be at maintenance-level calories.

For the fast days, eat lots of vegetables and enough protein to keep you from gnawing your arm off. Ive seen quite a few meal ideas on Pinterest.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want *within your calorie allowance*. There are no rules about what you can/cannot eat on 5:2, just the amount of calories consumed.

The rule is 2400kcal for 5 days, then 600kcal for 2 days (assuming you're male!) - that is the *general* rule. You should eat at your TDEE for the 5 days, and a quarter of that for the 2 fast days.

If your TDEE is 2200kcal, eat that, then stick with the 600kcal the other days (less of a deficit won't do any harm, really).

I follow the "average women need..." amount because I find it easier based on my activity levels changing all the while.

A few people don't calorie count on the "feast" days, only on "fast" days, but it's probably a good idea to eat normally but record it anyway, just to see how many calories you are eating. It happens where people are eating 3500kcal on a "feast" day, meaning their weekly deficit caused by fasting is actually just low enough for maintenance, rather than loss.

I know I couldn't eat without recording on feast days, at least not yet, as it'd probably significantly decrease the deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So can I eat whatever I want for all 7 days of the week or can I only eat whatever I want for 5 days?
    There are no banned foods or either fast days or normal days.
    The only foods I regard as unhealthy would be things like rotten eggs, spoiled milk, mouldy fruit. Food is food and has different macro/micro nutrient benefits and varied calorie density.

If your "whatever I want" is a balanced diet then no need to change.

You will find fast days easier if you eat certain foods (lean protein and veggies for example help you feel satisfied for realtively few calories) and avoid/limit calorie dense foods like starchy carbs.
    After a while it becomes easier and you need less "tricks" to get through a fast day.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The 5:2 diet days that for 5 days you need a normal amount of calories and then for 2 days you only eat 600 calories. But is there any types of foods that I should be eating? They don't make it clear if you got to eat healthier food to be successful or if you can eat whatever you want.
    Been on 4:3 version of it for 6 weeks and so far lost 24.8 lbs.

I started 5:2 and found it more difficult than the 4:3 fasting. Got more into a routine.

But no...you dont have to necessarily eat healthy food. Just stay below your content.
    With that said.....I do seek out more healthier food becuase it makes me feel better.

I still eat burgers, subs, wings, pizza and such...just much less often and not as much in a sitting.

I fast 24 hours at a time, and not for a calender day, and try to keep my fast as close to 0 calories during that time but usually am around 200-300