How much is too much?

Options
My coworkers and I were talking about exercise today, and the subject of 'too much' exercise came up. Do you guys think there is such a thing? If so, how much do you think is 'too much'?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes of course you can exercise too much. Your body will let you know when you’ve reached that level by injury, or breaking down so much that you no longer make any gains.

As for what is too much, that is completely individual.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do think you can exercise too much but I don't know what I would consider too much. I don't have that problem. I don't have enough time to spend more than about an hour a day walking or I probably would do a little more.
  • mama0f4
    mama0f4 Posts: 15
    Options
    yes there is such thing as too much. your body will know when enough is enough. over doing it is not a healthy choice.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I agree, there is such as thing as too much. I know this because I did too much yesterday and Sunday and now I have legs of rubber instead of legs of steel.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. A person such as myself can work out up to 90 minutes a day as I am severely obese. Whereas the person with a normal BMI can use 30 minutes a day.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I originally started at 10 mins a day.....that was all I could do. I was 350 at that time

I did 2 hours and 10 mins today, 45 mins weight strenght training, 70 mins on the tread mill, 35 mins on the bike......for me, and again, this is for my situation, its best I do this as I really ..........really needed to get my cardio going

I check my bp and heart rate, and I ve even asked coaches at the gym, but I stop at 2 hours......thats enough for me. I d like to see what others think, maybe some one knows.......great question.......Lloyd
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The reason I asked:
    I typically try to do a 30-45 minute DVD plus a 30 minute bike ride and a 30-60 minute walk with 20 minutes of calasthenics (which I can't spell, haha) every day. I was telling my coworkers that they're opening a gym by my house and I'm excited because then I can walk/bike there and add in another 30-60 minutes there and they all thought I was insane for wanting to add more to what I'm already doing (I'm very obese--257 lb currently) and they said that would be 'overdoing it'.
  • Bobble2610
    Options
    For me, it's all about YOU and what you want to do...

Personally, the idea of spending what I would consider ALL of my free time in a gym, is my idea of hell... but then I'm not a very exercise driven person - I am more diet driven, and have managed to lose 6 stone from purely dieting and being healthy, so to me, ANY exercise is too much - ha ha...

On the mornings I work (and get the train) I walk 15 minutes to the station, then up to 15 minutes to my office, and then the same back... So I count that as an hour's exercise a day... On days that I don't work, I walk my daughter to school and then again to pick her up 15 minutes each way x 2 - so again, another hour of exercise... This to me is enough...

Other than that, I don't do much - My wife goes to the gym 2 hours a night... Admittedly, I can see the difference in her - she is toning up really well, which makes me think that I'm not - So I guess I need to do some, but I just can't be doing with going to the gym for upwards of 2 hours a night - There are FAR more fun things I can see to be doing with my time...

Not helpful at all as an answer, but yeah - some people just don't see the need to spend SUCH a long time exercising... And the other thing... If/When you stop? Where's all that muscle going to go?

In summary - as long as you want to do and are sensible and can read when your body has decided enough is enough for the day, then there isn't such a thing as a commonly percieved "too much"