Weight Loss vs. Fat Loss

Options
So usually I weigh myself on Sunday mornings, but didn't get around to it till this morning. I've been feeling good about myself. Been eating well, smaller portions, and actually getting 3-4 meals a day which is a BIG accomplishment because I would typically eat only twice or even once per day. I am finally noticing a leaner me standing in the mirror. So with that I was looking forward to an encouraging drop in weight. But the scale had a different plan. I stood on the scale and watched for the display... ... ... 173lbs, pfft, that's the same as last week and the week before! Discouraged and humbled I got ready to start my day and head to work. I fastened my belt and to my surprise I lost a whole belt loop!!! And it's still a comfortable fit. Hooray! While the scale might not always cooperate, a belt loop never lies.

Eat well, live healthy, and smile often my friends.

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You are most likely gaining muscle which weighs more then fat but is lean. bit your on the right track if your seeing i thinner you.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing a belt loop :) that's great motivation! i'm about ready to just throw my scale away

The Scale Lies!!!!
  • rensmom
    rensmom Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree--while I enjoy seeing the weight go down, now that I am exercising consistently (circuit training, which does build muscle), I see much slower weight loss than when I was only watching calories. But my shape is starting to look better. Which leads me to believe that it has to be about more than just the scale~it does lie from time to time!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Great Job! :flowerforyou:
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I do circuit training Monday-Thursday for 75-90 minutes a day (I work weekends and usually don't get enough time to workout) and noticed that I am looking leaner but when I get on the scale the numbers are not changing much. I'm underemployed so when I go into work my bosses and/or co-workers always comment how much smaller I am looking and the like. They see a difference more than I can.