Calories at breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat breakfast in favor of having a lot of smaller meals in the evening. I tend to not get hungry until around noon anyhow, so it works for me. Meal timing is largely personal preference. Do what works.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    usually 250-300, but i eat 6 times a day. i'd eat more at breakfast if i didn't expect to eat again before lunch.

same as the other posters - eat when you're hungry and you'll be good to go!
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 300-400 calories at breakfast. I sent you a friend request my diary is visible to my friends.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It eating a big breakfast works for you, then it works for you :)

I normally have 400-700 for breakfast. Since I pre-plan my day, I have a larger breakfast if I know my lunch and dinner are smaller. I also have 2-3 snacks (ranging from 200-300 calories) a day.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually 300-400. My plan for today breaks up like this:
    Breakfast: 391
    Snack: 290
    Lunch: 310
    Snack: 250
    Dinner: 310

That's 1550 calories, and I'll most likely have an after-dinner snack of 200-300. I typically have a bigger dinner (one night this week I had a 700 calorie dinner because I was starving and had had smaller meals throughout the day), today's just happened to be about even with the rest. 200-400 calories per meal or snack is what seems to work best for me.
  • Laura95128
    Laura95128 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also a breakfast lover. My usual used to include eggs, grits, turkey sausage and veggies, for about 400 calories. In the past couple of weeks, I've dialed that back to egg beaters + veggies / greens, and have found that I'm just as satisfied on 250 or 300 calories. This gives me the option to grab some greek yogurt for a mid morning snack based on how I feel / how active I am.

I have figured out that a big breakfast is that part of a morning 'ritual' of sorts to get myself ready for the day, and my need for larger portions was mostly habit. I have trying to decouple eating from the rest of my morning routine by mixing things up - I catch up on laundry before I make breakfast one day, and make breakfast right after I shower another. This has actually helped me adjust to a new routine without feeling like I'm missing something.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Relax on the coffee guys :/ hubby thought he'd be cute and make it for me and I drank it before I knew what was in there :/ he's done this to me a couple times now because he forgets to use my stevie :/
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Stevia* not stevie hahahahaha
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mine varies...sometimes it is around 600 or 700...today it was just under 400.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it doesn't matter how you break up your calories throughout the day. But I find that for me, a small breakfast of around 170-230 calories is enough to satisfy me until noon when I eat lunch. So that's what I typically have, a breakfast around 200 calories.

My breakfast always has some protein in it...usually an egg, and/or Greek yogurt or some type of veggie sausage or bacon.

If I had a 200 cal lunch or dinner I'd be miserable and hungry, though!

Also, I am not much of a snacker and find myself totally unsatisfied when I've tried the "six mini meals" approach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Anything from 250 to 700, but I'm much happier over 300. It totally depends on what's in the breakfast too though.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 90-150
    Mid-morning snack: 90-150
    Lunch: 450-575
    Dinner: Everything that's left

On Sundays I eat 90% of my calories during brunch. =)
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually between 400-500 calories, if I go under that I am usually just too hungry all day.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your cals and are satisfied then it doesn't matter. I prefer a small breakfast and a big dinner.
    Breakfast: 2-300 cals
    Lunch: 4-800 cals
    Dinner: 700-1000 cals
    Snacks: 50-200 cals
    Alcohol and desert: 0-700 cals :drinker:

I net anywhere from 1200-2500 depending on the day and the exercise. My average right now is 1700.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track. The old adage used as a guideline for when someone is trying to lose weight: (Paraphrasing) Eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner. I eat about 300 - 400 cal's. for breakfast.
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah true. Idk I've just always felt fuller throughout the day if I eat a big meal first thing. And I'm always FAMISHED when I wake up lol
    Yup, that's the idea. Break - fast, you are breaking a long fast. You absolutely need to eat breakfast. That's where people on diets usually fail, by skipping the most important meal of the day. You want to front-load your calories. If you do that, as you said, you feel fuller throughout the rest of the day, thereby reducing your chances of overeating.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Yeah true. Idk I've just always felt fuller throughout the day if I eat a big meal first thing. And I'm always FAMISHED when I wake up lol
    Yup, that's the idea. Break - fast, you are breaking a long fast. You absolutely need to eat breakfast. That's where people on diets usually fail, by skipping the most important meal of the day. You want to front-load your calories. If you do that, as you said, you feel fuller throughout the rest of the day, thereby reducing your chances of overeating.

There are very few absolutes when it comes to nutrient timing and frequency. This is not one of them. By all means, if a large breakfast helps you keep hunger under control go for it, but it's not everyone's most important meal of the day.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

There are very few absolutes when it comes to nutrient timing and frequency. This is not one of them. By all means, if a large breakfast helps you keep hunger under control go for it, but it's not everyone's most important meal of the day.

^This. I do not get hungry until about noon and I wake up at 6-7am. I have had no issues on sustainability because for ME, I break my fast at lunch. Do what works best for you
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    breakfast is my smallest meal but I like a big supper.

Whatever works for you - it's all good :)
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's about 500 calories give or take for breakfast. After that, I'm stuffed for a few hours. I'll grab some peanut butter or another snack midday, I'll put that at about 250 calories roughly. Then dinner time, about 400 calories. I probably eat another 300 calories in random snacks. So I'm taking in about 1500-1600 calories, a day.