Logging bacon?

Nedra19455
Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
When you make bacon, the nutritional information is for the uncooked bacon, right? So when you cook it, a lot of the fat drips off -- is there any way to account for this or does it not make a big enough difference?

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    The nutritional information is for a weight of uncooked bacon. It takes into account a typical fat loss during cooking. There is some variation, but I would go with uncooked weight just like any other meat.

It is like pasta, the serving size is based on dry weight, but the nutrition is based on what that dry pasta cooks to.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    My bacon label reads per pan fried slice. I cook it on the stove or in the microwave, eat it, log the number of slices regardless of weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I weigh out a serving of uncooked bacon and log it as such...cook it, eat it.

If you weigh it uncooked log it that way
    If you weigh it cooked log it that way
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    It takes into account a typical fat loss during cooking. There is some variation, but I would go with uncooked weight just like any other meat.

Awesome. I didn't know that the typical fat loss was accounted for. Problem solved.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Bacon counts as zero calories as it is so awesome.

Anything you cook in bacon fat reduces the calories of the food by half.

True story!!! :smile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    It is like pasta, the serving size is based on dry weight, but the nutrition is based on what that dry pasta cooks to.

But that's not really a fair comparison. The water used to cook pasta is calorie-free and doesn't change the nutritional profile of the dry pasta (maybe some added sodium if you cook in salted water), but the fat dripping off and blotted from bacon has many calories!

Traditional cured pork bacon (not the thick sliced kind) cooked in the microwave on paper towels has 25 calories per slice, while pan-frying the same product yields bacon with 42 calories per slice, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

That's almost 40% fewer calories for the bacon that's been drained and blotted with paper towels.