Burning 1000+ calories with exercise several days in a row?

Options
13»

Replies

• itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I ran 6 miles this morning, then rode my road bike 10 miles each way to the office. Walked a dog, pulling like hell, for an hour at lunch, 1,000 cals meh!!!

BUT- I won't run tomorrow, I will recover. But I will ride, and walk the dog, and lift.
    Revoery is extremely important when you are training for performance. If you are training to lose weight, like to see your abs and such, then that's done in the kitchen.

It is VERY easy to out eat your exercise. get a food scale. Things will get really real then. :)

don't hate me for that. It took me years to get over hating the guy that challenged me to use a food scale.
  • robmckim2
    robmckim2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I feel like I do nothing at all. I am lazy...that it all.

LOL, on sincere note though, it does make me think I should work a lot harder...or at least a little harder and eat better!:wink:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I burn right around 900 calories every other day with one hour of HIIT. Then again, I AM 274 pounds. 5'11" with a large frame and 37% body fat.

For a high intensity session I'll do a 15 minute warm up, 15-20 minutes of intervals and then 15 minutes of cool down. That's about as much high intensity as I can cope with, so forgive me being somewhat sceptical of an hour.

At most I'll do 2 high intensity sessions a week, far too debilitating for more than that and sustain he rest of my training. About the same amount of time but tempo training will burn a little more.

An hour of 5:30 per km, steady pace, burns about 800 cals for me.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt those burns are accurate. I'm not in the greatest shape (the larger you are, the more you burn) and I can only get a 600 calorie burn per hour when I bust my butt on my bike. I'm using an HRM with VO2 MAX input. I trust it to be fairly accurate.

Which HRM and/or app are you using? I've been looking for something that uses VO2 max as part of the calculations.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    hi

do you cycle a lot or run a lot. same as you, i can burn off 1200 calories cycling for an hour or so and then its incredibly hard to eat back all those burnt off calories in one day so its no wonder your losing quite a bit in a month. that said, its also very addictive, seeing the scales go down so i wonder if secretly your very pleased how its working out and have no intention of doing anything else anyway? just a thought

I highly doubt those burns are accurate. I'm not in the greatest shape (the larger you are, the more you burn) and I can only get a 600 calorie burn per hour when I bust my butt on my bike. I'm using an HRM with VO2 MAX input. I trust it to be fairly accurate.

This isn't necessarily the case. Tour riders typically burn 1000+ per hour and they are pretty damn fit.