Rice Substitutes?

Options
Hello there,

Well, I'm Asian and I like my white rice. However, I know it's not very healthy... and very high in calories. So, what is your best substitute for rice, and why? Brown rice is a natural choice, but any other fun grains and such I should know about? Cheaply?

... Before anyone says quinoa, though-- that stuff is like $30 per kg where I live.

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Couscous, barley (though I've never tried it). I do like couscous, though.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would keep eating it. Just keep it at 1 cup or something like that. It's not the worst thing for you. Oatmeal, and granola are good too if you want other grains.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I would keep eating it. Just keep it at 1 cup or something like that. It's not the worst thing for you. Oatmeal, and granola are good too if you want other grains.

And what he said. Rice is like 199 calories for a cup...cut it to 1/2 a cup or just limit it to a cup. Maybe brown rice, too.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    in be4 cauliflower... oh wait :embarassed:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I like rice - perhaps just eat less of it. Bulk up the meal with more veggies.

I have tried couscous and the family likes it. I know its supposed to have better nutritional value, but mainly I like it because its quick & easy. Boil water, add couscous & seasoning. Turn off heat & cover, let it sit for a few minutes. Fluff & serve.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    buckwheat
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    There's nothing bad about white rice (it's better than brown rice - taste and nutrition).

Maybe eat a bit less and make it fit your calorie goal.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Rice is not unhealthy unless you eat far too much of it at a time. Just measure yours out and eat the amount that fits your calorie goal.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    cous cous, barley, lentils, quinoa, farro - all delicious!
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    Whole grain brown rice has around 150 calories for one cup. It's also low in fat. I ate it as part of a heart healthy diet to get my cholesterol under control without meds. It takes about 45 minutes to cook and the texture is different. You could try that, also.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I cook brown rice. It's like 150 cal a cup. I enjoy the taste as well.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I eat half cup of any of the following-- brown rice, black rice, quinoa, lentils, black beans, cous cous, any multi-grain pasta.
  • SamSal02
    SamSal02 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hello there,

Well, I'm Asian and I like my white rice. However, I know it's not very healthy... and very high in calories. So, what is your best substitute for rice, and why? Brown rice is a natural choice, but any other fun grains and such I should know about? Cheaply?

... Before anyone says quinoa, though-- that stuff is like $30 per kg where I live.

Switch to Brown Rice! Small changes. There is no reason to cut rice out completely!
    Barley is great...
    And you can make a Paleo Cauliflower "Rice"

Good Luck!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower

ETA: Ooops!
    in be4 cauliflower... oh wait :embarassed:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

Rice is perfectly healthy as part of a balanced diet. Just mix it up a little sometimes brown rice. Calorie wise its not that bad 75 grams (dry weight) which is an average portion is around 250 calories which as part of a meal really isn't that bad
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Rice is healthy regardless of white or brown, but as with all things, it's about balance. In regards to white vs brown, this was a pretty good article I found. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No one in my family likes brown rice or any of the substitutes, so I still make white rice. Most of the time, I just don't serve myself any - only if we are having something that has a yummy sauce that I can put on the rice - and then I only have 1/2 cup of rice.