Anyone else about to start marathon training??

Options
2»

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have completed 3 marathons since my first one last year (November 3, 2013). I started training for my first one in May of 2013. The gradual buildup of endurance showed in a gradual increase in speed over the months. Don't set a hard and fast time goal for your first one except to complete it the same day you started.

Remember, the training is there to get your body accustomed to the distance and to build the endurance. It is also a way to try different things to find what works, like what clothes to use, what shoes work, what to eat, how much to drink and when. Not every day will be a great running day. Keep to your schedule as much as you can. As long as the weather isn't dangerous, run in all conditions. Although NYC is mostly flat, you will be surprised at the long grades. Know that it can be a long hard run into the wind much of the way if the prevailing wind on race day is from the north. If it rains, well, hopefully, you will have trained for it.

Don't be discouraged if one or more of your long runs doesn't go well. When I started, I was already capable of running a 10 K (slowly) and feeling good at the end. And the long runs of 8, 10, and 12 miles two weeks apart were great (tiring, but the long slow pace was fine). My 14-miler, however, had me question my capability and my sanity. It was a really bad run. It was hot, humid, and there was nothing I could really do except not run or really cut the run short. I should have chosen a different day or cut it short. But I learned something about running under difficult conditions and got through it. Two weeks later with the jump to 17, though, things went fine. After that it was three-weeks between the long runs. I ran my 20-miler in the rain (I consider it good practice because my second marathon was in the rain from mile 3 to mile22) and I felt great. Three weeks later I did my 23-mile run with no problems (tired, of course).

But three weeks later when my last run called for 26-28 miles, I learned a very important lesson. The temperatures were beginning to cool (it was October) and I learned that I cannot drink very cold water in the late stages of the run. The abdominal cramps were painful and took about a mile to work themselves out. I learned to swirl the water in my mouth to cool the blood in my head and warm the water before I swallowed.

My program called for running at least a full marathon long-endurance run at a pace of about 2 minutes per mile slower than I could run during the race itself. Some programs take you to a single 20 mile run and then taper you to the race, others take you to multiple 20-mile runs before tapering for the race. A word to the wise...once you get to the taper period (2-4 weeks before the race) don't try to do something "extra" or try to make up for something you've missed. I did some extra hill running two weeks before my first marathon. It took all of the two weeks to recover from that run (should have stayed with a flatter 11 miles rather than running the steepest hills I could). You'd be better off allowing your body to recover from the long runs and maintain your shorter runs and muscle tone.

I have not tried to run a marathon at 100% full throttle. Rather, I've run at a level that feels more like 65-70%. I do a run/walk program (see Jeff Galloway) and I'm not part of the furniture after the race. I've never hit "the wall" though some of my coworkers that are younger and run only a few minutes faster than I have found that wall at 20 miles. Listen to your body and respect the distance. The marathon distance keeps you honest in your training. You might be able to get by on a half-marathon, not so on a full.

On temperature, remember that your body reacts (once you are warmed up and under way) as if it was 20°F warmer than the actual temperature. Remember that in how you dress and how you run. The rule of thumb I use is this: for every 5°F above 60°F, I slow down my pace by 30-seconds per mile. In my last marathon, it started out above 60°F and warmed into the upper 70's on a shadeless course. I knew that when I reached the turnaround point at mile 15.7, it was going to be an exposed course with three long and/or steep hills returning to the finish line. I slowed my pace accordingly and once past the last steep hill at mile 25 (approximately 170 vertical feet of climb in about half a mile), I knew it was a cruise to the end.

It is said that the distance of the marathon is the distance where, even with the training, there is no certainty of how or whether you'll finish the race. But when you finish, there can be a sense of relief and accomplishment. I will be spending this summer maintaining my marathon readiness and running half-marathons and shorter races before returning to the marathon distance in November.

Good luck, and feel free to follow up with me on other points or my experiences.

I do pretty well for an old guy.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am running my 3rd marathon in November; I will start official training at the end of the July. Right now, I am training for a 5k (get speedy!) in July and then I'll do a race-simulator-warm up for marathon 10 miler at the end of September. I am new to fitness pal. But is there a place we can have a group and share/ support each other in this journey?

The marathon I will be training for is The City Of Oaks Marathon (Raleigh, NC).

So will I and a couple of my coworkers. The City of Oaks was my first (last year) and I loved the run on the greenways. Some complain about the hills, but that's just the nature of running around here.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I will be training for the New York Marathon at the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone else will be running during that time?? This will be my first full marathon! I am scared and excited all at the same time.

Congrats on getting into NY! I entered the lottery this year but didn't get a spot, so I signed up for the Disney Marathon in January instead. It gives me an extra couple months to train so no complaints there! My first marathon too, so I know how excited you must feel!

Disney?! Jealous! You'll be awesome.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am running my 3rd marathon in November; I will start official training at the end of the July. Right now, I am training for a 5k (get speedy!) in July and then I'll do a race-simulator-warm up for marathon 10 miler at the end of September. I am new to fitness pal. But is there a place we can have a group and share/ support each other in this journey?

The marathon I will be training for is The City Of Oaks Marathon (Raleigh, NC).

So will I and a couple of my coworkers. The City of Oaks was my first (last year) and I loved the run on the greenways. Some complain about the hills, but that's just the nature of running around here.

Hi!! that's awesome. yes, this place is crazy hilly! But I was looking at the elevation map, and it doesn't seem toooooo bad. RUnning at umstead park will prepare us :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    endurance athlete here. mostly i do middle distance races, olympic triathlons and half marathons. not quite up to a marathon yet.

oh, and i'm in new york city, so i'll be cheering you on on race day! the course passes about two block away from my house!!
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What does everyone do for nutrition and settings on MFP?
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to complete a full in October. I've booked a half for July (about 10 weeks away). Be thrilled to complete both without injury.

I ran 33km last week, with 12km (7.8m) on Sunday, so I've still got a way to go...
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What does everyone do for nutrition and settings on MFP?

I am following the "Racing Weight" (Matt Fitzgerald) diet to lost some body fat and race leaner. Part of the program is to have a small calorie deficit to start things off but to make sure you are taking in enough carbs according to the hours that you train. I am pretty much using MFP to track those carbs and supplement my food diary (he has you score every meal...+2 for whole grains, + 2 for lean meats...-2 for high fat meats, etc...)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    UK person here, I've started my taper for the Edinburgh Marathon 24th May, first marathon (haven't even done a half marathon except in my training runs before), my goal in my first one will just be to complete it, there's a time limit of 6.5hrs and according to my training I should be fine with that, but there's still a nagging worry until I've actually done it that I'll be doing the walk of shame from the sweeper bus!!!
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to check his book out.