NROL or Stronglifts 5x5

Options
bmannen1
bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
I am going to start weight lifting on Monday but I am having trouble choosing a program. Which would you recommend?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Haven't done NROL, but I liked SL 5x5 and it's a free program, which is a point in its favor. I would probably try SL and if you don't like it, consider switching. If you don't know much about form and lifting, on the other hand, it would probably be a good idea to get the NROL book since form is key and SL doesn't really explain lifting technique. Consider having a free session with a trainer or watching some youtube videos to make sure your form is good.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have heard NROL gets complicated...I personally haven't seen the program.

I do SL 5x5 and love it.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My husband and I recently started Stronglifts and we really like it. It has been really straightforward and easy for me to understand. If you cant decide maybe you could do one night of each and see which one you like better : )

Good luck!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I started Stronglifts last weekend. I also read the NROL4W book but found it a bit too much for me as a beginner. SL's workouts are much more straightforward.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like SL because there is a free app that helps you track progress.
    It is a very simple program too. And squats all the time! Yeah :)
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I like Stronglifts, and there is an app for smartphones to help you track your progress, which I also use and like.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can't get much simpler than SL5x5 and that's why it's ideal for starting lifters. It keeps you focused on big compound lifts and you avoid the isolation/supplemental exercises that beginners oftentimes do too many of. Its simplicity is arguably also a weakness of the program as well, but you can worry about that later on.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    For starting out, do Stronglifts. It's super simple, free, and right there on your phone, plus if you search this forum you'll find some great results pics.

Later on, when you're more comfortable with lifting and ready to step up your game, that would be the time to switch to NROL.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I started on NROL - I'm on stage 3 - and I actually really like it. It *is* a little complicated but I think it's really comprehensive. The first stage is 6-8 weeks of the same two workouts so that you start to really understand how lifting feels and how to gauge what you can and can't do and that makes it a little easier to move on to the more complicated stages after that. I also thought the book was really entertaining and informative.

I haven't done Stronglifts though, so I can't truly compare.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I am reading the NROL book, but I started doing Stronglifts this week, have done 2 sessions so far and it is great.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I really like NROL because of the detailed instructions, and the many "alternative" exercises they show you. It also talks a lot about diet and what your body needs macro-wise. It's a great, scientific read that really enlightens. I bought a used copy of the book online for $7.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL for just over 2 months. I love its simplicity. Very easy to learn the lifts and follow. Very quick, I'm usually out of the weight room in about 30 minutes. I read NROLFW and while there was some great info as to why to lift, diet, etc., seems a little more complicated than I felt like dealing with as a lifting noob.
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same as most of the posters here.

I actually started with New Rules and really enjoyed it and pretty sure in that short amount of time I felt good about the training. But after Phase 1 it required twice as much time in the gym so I switched over to SL5X5
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I do add a few more exercises to mine, reverse curls, curls and flys.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Another SL vote here. I have done it for several months and really enjoyed it. The app helped tracking and the program takes out all of the guess work on when to up weight (or drop weight deloading is important too).
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am doing StrongLifts as well. I love that it has an easy peasy app to use. I have read and started NROL but it was difficult to achieve at home. My basement ceiling is too low for step ups so I was having to take that part outside and it made it all the more tedious, however I think it's a terrific program and someday would like to do it.
  • love_faithfulness
    Options
    I follow stronglifts and love it. Everyone has already made great points for it.

Before doing stronglifts though, I did the jamie eason 12 week program from bodybuilding.com. It is also free and there is an app for your phone just like stronglifts. The app is called bodyspace and you would select the jamie eason program. I liked this program because I was completely new to lifting and it forced me to try out almost all the equiptment at the gym. It starts off slow and you don't need to know anything about form to start. There are also videos/pictures for each move everyday in case you don't know how to do it. Plus I now know a ton of different exercises for each muscle. On the days I don't do stronglifts, I do isolated exercises from this program. :)

I can't say anything about NROL...
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Some of my MFP friends have done NROL and have great results but I personally did Stronglifts 5x5. As an extremely beginner lifter, I found it to be very straightforward and easy to follow! I've changed up my routine after doing a few months of Stronglifts but it's a great start! Whatever lifting program you decide to do though, make sure you learn proper form!

Best of luck :)