Don't Laugh at me but...

Options
Is running in the place the same as running on the treadmill? or at least close? I recently moved away from my gym, away from the park on my street with running trails and away from my parents house with the treadmill in the basement. I now live in a very urban setting and by the time I get home from work its usually getting too dark to run outside. I get sick of doing workout videos and I enjoy running in place while i watch a show or movie (sounds goofy, trust me i know) I usually mix it up with some high knees and butt kicks throughout my running. Is this an okay way to exercise or am i just wasting my time??

Replies

• ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    anything that gets your heart rate up is a good workout.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    It's great cardio! I would guess that it doesn't work as many muscles as actually moving along...but it'll for sure work your heart and burn some calories.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would think so. I know I burn the same amount of calories jogging in place for 20 minutes as I do on a jogging outdoors in the heat. I try to mix it up with punches and whatnot, but it's a great way to get a workout in while enjoying TV. I, too, am having trouble finding time to exercise outdoors when it's dark shortly after I get home.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say not even close, if you are going the same speed (turnover rate) although it is still a workout. You may have to go for longer or much faster to equal what you would do on the treadmill but it can be done.
  • Dlampitt
    Options
    Not laughing at all, I used to do this all the time and got really fit doing so! It's like doing low impact aerobics. As long as you're working up a sweat, you're burning calories! Try mixing it up with different steps to work different muscle groups and have fun!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Um ... I don't think it's the same. You might think about investing in a heavy duty treadmill.
  • christina1109
    Options
    You could always add a jump rope to the mix.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Um ... I don't think it's the same. You might think about investing in a heavy duty treadmill.

Right now investing in one isn't an option as a recent college grad with rent bills, loans etc its just not in the cards for me right now. Although I do look for cheap ones on craiglist a lot ;)
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Christina1109- great idea i never thought of- thank you!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You will use a few musscels different, but the bottom line is, as long as you can keep your heart rate in the burn for the same amount as treadmill will be too close to call.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Go to a sketchy neighborhood and run from muggers? There's some exercise.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Gotta work with what you have, right?!
    Nothing is the "same" as anything else, but running in place, high knees, butt kicks are all great cardio exercises. There's also, "jumping rope" (without a rope) and jumping jacks. Whatever! I think it's awesome that you are just doing what you can. Plus, it's free! :happy:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Run up and down the stairs too... free stairmaster :laugh: :flowerforyou: