Why the differences between Scoopy TDEE and MFP?

Options
When I go to Scooby:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

And I plug in 43-year-old male, 5'11", 281.5 pounds, desk job with little exercise, it says my TDEE is 2914. A 20% reduction gets you 1.2 pounds per week at 2331 calories.

MFP has my TDEE at 2740, which is 174 calories different? When I set MFP to 1.5 pounds per week it gives the daily calorie goal as 1990, which is 341 calories less than Scooby. Why the difference?

I lost 30 pounds last year following MFP guidelines and lost on average 1.2 pounds per week over 6 months.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The difference is Scooby includes exercise calories...MFP does not. With MFP you log exercise and eat back those calories at which time would probably equal Scooby.

Now Scooby and MFP are both estimates so the 174 difference is just based on the difference in how they calculate.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you figured that out because MFP doesn't calculate TDEE.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    The difference is Scooby includes exercise calories...MFP does not. With MFP you log exercise and eat back those calories at which time would probably equal Scooby.

Now Scooby and MFP are both estimates so the 174 difference is just based on the difference in how they calculate.

Well I set up both for sedentary so neither one should be including exercise calories. This is just your base amount of calories needed.

If you go under Goals on MFP they call it:

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,740 cal/day

Is this not the same thing as TDEE?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Well I set up both for sedentary so neither one should be including exercise calories. This is just your base amount of calories needed.

If you go under Goals on MFP they call it:

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,740 cal/day

Is this not the same thing as TDEE?

No because it doesn't take exercise into account... just normal daily activity.
  • maillemaker
    Options

But I used "sedentary" for both calculators, so neither one should be taking exercise into account.

Both should be only taking normal daily activity into account, right?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But I used "sedentary" for both calculators, so neither one should be taking exercise into account.

Both should be only taking normal daily activity into account, right?

as I said in my first post both are esitmates using standard calculations...scooby obviously uses a different calculation.

As well the number you calculated on both was your NEAT number...not TDEE . TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure....which includes exercise.

ETA: as well the deficet is at different weight loss rates hence the difference for those.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When I go to Scooby:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

And I plug in 43-year-old male, 5'11", 281.5 pounds, desk job with little exercise, it says my TDEE is 2914. A 20% reduction gets you 1.2 pounds per week at 2331 calories.

MFP has my TDEE at 2740, which is 174 calories different? When I set MFP to 1.5 pounds per week it gives the daily calorie goal as 1990, which is 341 calories less than Scooby. Why the difference?

I lost 30 pounds last year following MFP guidelines and lost on average 1.2 pounds per week over 6 months.

Different estimates of BMR, different actively level multiplier to the BMR, and using 1.5 lb/week is a 750 cal deficit or 27% deficit vs. he 20% using Scooby
  • maillemaker
    Options
    [/quote]As well the number you calculated on both was your NEAT number...not TDEE . TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure....which includes exercise.[/quote]

OK, so a TDEE with no exercise is called NEAT?