is black coffee considered water?

Options
pkthv1
pkthv1 Posts: 20 Member
I drink a lot of coffee. I have a hard time getting in water. Is it ok to count black coffee or tea as a water ?

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    In terms of hydration, yes, just make sure you include any caloric additions to the food log side of things.
  • 23crizzle
    23crizzle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I wouldn't count coffee or tea unless it is decaf. Even then, I personally wouldn't count it though I know some people do. My dietitian tells me for every cup of coffee or tea (with caffeine) I drink to drink two cups of water to counteract since caffeine is a diuretic.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not in my world. Coffee is coffee and water is water. I make soup and other foods with water, but I don't count it as drinking water. :tongue:

I do look at coffee, tea and other drinks as part of my overall fluid intake during the day, but I only log plain water as water. And I feel much better if I get my 8 or so cups, even if I'm also drinking coffee or iced tea during the day. Overall, I go by urine color - it should be pale yellow. If it's darker, I need more water, if it's clear, I can back off.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I would say no. The reason we are encouraged to drink 8 glasses of water a day is to make sure that we are hydrated. Caffeinated coffee actually does the opposite - it dehydrates you, so I don't think it counts, sorry!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Coffee is water that has bits of coffee bean in it. It hydrates you just like water.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I would say no. The reason we are encouraged to drink 8 glasses of water a day is to make sure that we are hydrated. Caffeinated coffee actually does the opposite - it dehydrates you, so I don't think it counts, sorry!

Myth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    In my world liquid is liquid no matter the color and counts as water. Count the calories of course...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I count coffee and tea as water but I do drink more than 8 8oz glasses a day, which I figure counteracts any diuretic effects. I know I'm well hydrated, anyway.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I only count water that came from the top of Mt. Olympus and was strained through a Greek god's loin cloth.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count it as water. But my coffee doesn't have any calories, so I don't log it anyway. I do log the creamer I use though. I only log water as water.

What type of coffee do you drink? I drink a lot of coffee and I didn't know there was a zero calorie option!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I wouldn't count coffee or tea unless it is decaf. Even then, I personally wouldn't count it though I know some people do. My dietitian tells me for every cup of coffee or tea (with caffeine) I drink to drink two cups of water to counteract since caffeine is a diuretic.

Then your dietician needs to read up on the diruetic effects of coffee because she's WAY off.

Again, it doesn't dehydrate you like you think it does. This is a fast holding myth that many people still steadfastly believe but the science does not support it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

Educate yourselves, people, before you try to educate others.
  • Tmatthias63
    Tmatthias63 Posts: 11
    Options
    No, coffee is listed as a diuretic which forces water out of your system so drinking coffee for your water intake is a bad idea

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-coffee-a-diuretic.html
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

ETA: And no, I don't count it as water. Why stop there? Count your tea, diet soda, and gatorade as water. They all hydrate you, after all...
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    You need a certain amount of FLUID. Coffee can count towards it, as can a lot of other things.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/mfp-101-water-water-everywhere-609347
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Coffee has calories, just like everything else does. It may be negligible to you, but someone who drinks a lot of coffee, well, it could add up quickly.

Tell me, how many calories does black coffee have? How quickly will those black coffee calories add up?
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    No, coffee is listed as a diuretic which forces water out of your system so drinking coffee for your water intake is a bad idea

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/is-coffee-a-diuretic.html

I'll counter your blog with a peer reviewed scientific paper.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

ETA: And now I've read your blog post, not even it supports your claim.
  • sassyjazz92
    sassyjazz92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coffee slows down your metabolism. Drinking early in the morning do now help you on your fitness journey.
    Since your body is over 90% water you need water, not including in your drinks. Don't forget that the calories in coffee counts toward your daily intake.
  • Technolero
    Technolero Posts: 90
    Options
    Starbucks says their 16 ounce bold coffee has 5 calories, so that is fairly negligible...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

i read that even tho its a diuretic, it doesn't actually dehydrate you. not sure how that could be true though.