Heart Rate Monito

Options
jenready
jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
I am thinking about getting a heart rate monitor and I am wondering what type to get. I really don't want to spend a lot on one, not like hundreds of dollars, but I want to get one that is reliable and is accurate. Any suggestions?

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Polar seems to be the most common brand
  • JenniferEdwardz
    JenniferEdwardz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was looking into this as well and I see that Bowflex has them for about $40 on the web...
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar F6 for $54. For a type A personality like me, it's great.
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    I guess I should have said more

Polar seems to be the most popular brand for a # of reasons....most of the gyms have the polar synchronizatoin built into their ellipticals, treadmills and what not (not all but most)

Also they have a vast variety to choose from

Finally, if you do get one, please make sure that you get one with the chest strap cause that is the only way it will be accurate
  • focus2bfit
    Options
    I bought a Timex and it works great - I got the one that tracks calories and it comes with the chest strap too
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Polar is hands-down the best to get. However, they are not cheap. If you are on a budget, almost any heart rate monitor will do. However, if you want accurate tracking of various vitals, and most cases for people here, calories, then I recommend Polar. It's the most accurate of its competitors. Others will do fine, but again, Polar usually has higher accuracy. I personally have a Polar FT90, which I also bought one for my wife. Love it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 over the weekend and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is very simple to use and cost $89. Best investment I've made so far for my fitness!
  • Aura05
    Aura05 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40
    I love it!!!!! I am so glad i spent the $150 on it, was def worth the money!
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    The good thing about these are if you invest in one the returns are much greater so make sure you get a decent one
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Really look at what you're going to want long term because a good one is really worth the investment.

I got the Polar FT60 (+ foot pod) - and that ran me a good $300. I think it was the best use of a tax refund I'll ever make. I get my mileage, speed, HR, HR zone and calories burned at any given time.

Get a Polar and get a Polar with a chest strap. Other than that, look at what you'll be using it for...
  • jenn0924
    Options
    I have a Polar F6, with the chest strap, and my favorite feature is the end of week progress report, every Sunday morning, I get a message of how many calories I burned that week. Keeps me motivated.
  • txshanen0671
    Options
    I jst recently got the New Balance at Target for about $70.00. Get the one with the strap to wear. It's a GREAT MOTIVATOR!!! Easy to use, and shows calories burned as you go which makes you push yourself harder. I did 2 classes back to back, and then trained with my trainer! Talk about inspiration! My only downfall was burning 1700 calories in 3 hours, you have to eat a crapload! and we all have seen eating unhealthy, it's easy to get that many calories, but healthy eating...makes it hard to consume soooo many calories. I think from now on I"ll stick to 2 hours...I woulod say YES to the MONITOR!!!! Good luck!:smile:
  • mrecker
    mrecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 with chest strap. I love it and use it for every workout. I think I paid around $110 for it, but don't recall. I remember being slightly apprehensive about spending the money at first, but it has definitely been worth it.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention...I got the Polar because the chest strap lifts and separates. w00t!