Shockers when you started paying attention to calories?

Options

Replies

• Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    i guess i wouldn't be shocked eating a creamy alfredo pasta dish is a ga-zillion calories.

what shocked me (and still shocks me) is what 1oz of tortilla chips looks like! ugh!!

^^ Yep. The brand of tortilla chips we buy have 170 calories in 13 chips. We used to go to Chilis or other restaurants and eat basket after basket of tortilla chips. That could explain a few things about my current condition.
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The calories in fast food grilled chicken sandwiches. I don't eat fast food often, but when I do I usually choose grilled chicken because I thought it was the lower calorie option. I've done this at several places and found that the chicken has more calories than a small hamburger. The first time I noticed it was at Wendy's. I wanted a jr. cheeseburger deluxe but thought it would be way too many calories. Instead I looked up what I thought would be the better option, a grilled chicken pretzel sandwich. I can't remember the exact calorie count. I think it was between 500-600. I ended up getting the jr. cheeseburger because it was surprisingly a few hundred calories less.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    fit2014yay wrote: »
    Sweet tea!! Had no idea how many calories I was drinking a day!! 600+ calories I could've been eating! :(

That, and Smucker's Uncrustables - 210 a sandwich!!

210 a sandwich isn't that bad considering that 2 tbsp of peanut butter is around then (+/- 30)? I guess based on the size, though, it is!!
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Cheetos. . F u cheetos
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I know the place has been named, but I used to go to "Chilis" and think I was being good by ordering the salad. You know the one that has lettuce, grilled chicken along with other vegetables, and oh yea the quesadilla wedges, the Quesadilla Explosion. I went to load it into MFP while I was sitting at the table and damn near had a stroke! over 1300 calories for a SALAD! No more salads for this guy!

Another shocker was Panda Express, again, already mentioned, but I would ordered what I thought would be the "Healthier" option, the Bejing Beef, and I ordered it as a bowl, not the 2 entrees with the rice or noodles. 900 Calories for the bowl! I did notice after the fact they had some better caloric options, but the sodium is off the charts.

On a positive note, the family doesn't eat out nearly as much as it used to and I'm saving a boat load of money! Well, it's a small boat!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I found a delish looking recipe for stuffed shells - looked awesome. Pasta shells filled with chicken, spinach, 3 different cheeses... it made about 35 shells and each shell is about 140 calories! I could easily eat 4-6 shells for dinner! That's homemade, made with light cream cheese and half the amount the recipe actually called for! That's 560-840 calories without any salad or garlic bread to go along with it!
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    nuts, cereal, cheese, ramen, chips, microwave popcorn
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am mostly shocked when I read advice like " eat what you like in moderation" , for many items I love at, say, for example "Bonefish Grill" or "PFChang's" that would be about 3 tablespoons of food. Moderation doesn't work for me, and there must be others like this.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    unfortunately, sushi. I know I know, there are good options that i can choose, good fats and protein, but also i can eat tons and tons of sushi and sashimi in one sitting without getting very full. And the lack of "stuffed" feeling made me think sushi is weight loss food. Needless to say, that was before i started counting cals.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    • Milo
    • The sugar content in most Starbucks beverages (like the Green Tea latte)
    • A single serving of peanut butter
    • Most breakfast cereals
    • Avocados
    • Low-fat anything
    • Pesto
    • Olive oil
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    also what LINIA said. There's no eating in "moderation" for some of us, if you are born with that power than i envy you. Also "listen to your body". If i listened to my body i would be stuffing my face with 20 cupcakes a day.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have not read through this entire thread but to me it's all about serving size. I mean a container of Ben & Jerry is 4 servings...really what world...lol
    Also those Crystal Light packs you pour in your water..one pack is two servings..who puts a half pack in water..come on be real and just say it's 10 calories per serving..
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The honey biscuts from Church's. Those delicious *kitten*. But they are 190 calories for ONE and they aren't that big. :(
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    90 calories in one jumbo marshmallow. ONE. Meaning that two of those babies = an entire Quest bar. I could seriously cry.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i never realized how high in sugar some fruits were.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    It's been said and done to death, but nut butters constantly surprise me. Not by measuring them, oh no, because I can pack a whole lot of peanut butter in a tablespoon. But you go to weigh that ***** and there go your dreams of a wonderful peanut-buttery sandwich.

It's sad.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We went out for dinner one night and my fiance ordered cheesecake bites. I looked them up...80 calories for 1 bite (about a 1x1" cube). Crazy!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    These have been said already, but: tortilla chips, jeez. Who eats, like, 5 chips and calls it a day?

Olive oil in cooking--I used to start every saute pan with a healthy tablespoon or two of olive oil. The crazy thing is, you don't even need a tsp to cook most things! I don't know what I was thinking.

Tortillas. WTF. They're not even GOOD.

On the plus side, I was flabbergasted that a beef crunchy taco from Taco Bell is only 170 calories. I freakin' love Taco Bell, lol, and I can easily fit a lunch of three crunchy tacos into my macros, if I watch my fat the rest of the day. Mmmm.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Back in January, right after I started logging calories with MFP but before I wised up, I ordered (and ate) the Ma Po Tofu at PF Chang's without checking the calorie count. Vegetarian, right? Lo-cal, right? Wrong. 1,030 frickin' calories. There was an order of vegetarian dumplings (310 calories) in there, too, someplace, as I remember, so I ended up blowing my entire daily calorie allotment in a single lunch. Gah!
  • legowrangler
    legowrangler Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    AndyN87 wrote: »
    Biggest shocker has been things like dressings, BBQ sauce, etc that all add up insanely quick. Thankfully I do like mustard..... but something like honey mustard has a ton of calories in it.

a trick I learned for honey mustard is to take mustard and mix splenda in it!