Ever just need a break?

Options
I started here in February. Bought a food scale and started measuring and counting as accurately as possible when I cook. I guesstimate when I dine out and have at least one day a week that I eat to maintenance or don't log.

I'm down 10 pounds from the start and am looking to lose about 20-25 more. I'm thrilled with my results, as I deal with PCOS, hypothyroidism, and some other issues that mean I don't get to the gym as often as I'd like. I'm still eating what I enjoy and not feeling in any way deprived. Everything is peachy, right?

This week I feel like I want to take a vacation from logging. I don't want to give up, because it's been the only thing that's ever brought me success. I'm going away this weekend and will likely not log and just eat what I want within reason, and I have every intention to get right back to it on Tuesday. Maybe a 3-day break will be enough.

So...has anyone experienced this along the way? How do you handle it?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    In the past-something like this has given me trouble, as a 3 day break would turn into 3 weeks or months or more. But that doesn't mean everyone is the same.

I do like you, generally eat reduced but 2-3x per month aim for maintenance. Occasionally even higher - which I figure negates 1-3 days deficit but is not really a set back. I still log though. Its just something I need to do. And with the MFP phone app, it is simple to do.
  • iamthedanger47
    iamthedanger47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat well, measure, etc most days. I also run, strength train, walk doggies and move generally as much as possible when I'm not sitting at my desk (hate). This has been my lifestyle for over 3 years now. I get up at 5 am to run or whatever and if I don't I always regret. But.... I allow myself to take breaks too. I enjoy, o.k., love burgers and chips and fries. I never said I wouldn't eat them again, but I do so in moderation. I live by be good 80% of the time. These very small indulgences have helped me keep going strong for years. I say take a break! Then get right back at it!

I will mention that I'm preparing for the annual beach vacation. So I decided to give up chips. Just like that - boom 5 pounds. I'm new to my fitness pal and have only been logging for a little over a week. I like it so far, keeps me honest :)

good luck to you!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have taken many breaks along the way. I typically end up with a 1 week break, especially on a resort in the winter time...or if I am just feeling burnt out/losing interest.

The goal is to get back on track, and that is by far the most important piece of losing weight. "getting back on track when you fall".
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My breaks are usually just logging everything honestly, but now worrying about whether or not I hit my calorie goals for the day. Sometimes this leaves me under on calories, but more often I go over. And for a while I just don't care. I keep logging though, and generally get back on the wagon in a few days. Just be careful that your 3 day no-logging break doesn't turn into a longer one. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup! I take one about every 2 months when I'm away from home visiting friends/family. When I first started out, I logged everything to the best of my ability but for the last two years I decided to give myself a break. Fair warning - I don't think it's exactly helped my weight loss. While most of the time I still try to eat well and get activity in, sometimes these breaks let the old habits slip in and that backfires on me a bit. For instance, I don't normally drink because it's a waste of calories IMHO (eating something is more appealing to me if I have a surplus) but if I'm not logging, it's easy for those liquid calories to add up if I decide to indulge.

Test it out, see how you do. If you go overboard, lesson learned. If you do ok, take it as an indication that your eating habits are improving and you'll probably do well once you get to maintenance.

By the way, OP, has anyone ever told you that you look like Mary-Louise Parker?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!

I've taken a day off from logging here and there, and one weekend early on. I've been so far really good about not sliding downhill, but I've set clear boundaries, usually around an event or trip. What I don't want to do is take off a random time because I just wanna, and then slide downhill from there. That would be so easy to do!

By the way, OP, has anyone ever told you that you look like Mary-Louise Parker?

Wow, no! Haven't heard that before. I do seem to look like everyone's cousin though, haha.