Should I run every day?

Options
I've been running 1-2 miles, every other day. It's not easy yet, but I am able to do it without stopping. My body always looks trim and great the day of and after I run, but then I take a day off, and it fluffs back up. So, should I be running every day? With maybe one or two days a week off? Or should I just continue on my every other day plan? I'm 5'6", weigh 140 pounds, medium build. I'm not really looking to lose weight, as there's not much to lose, just tone everything up and be healthy.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Every other day is fine for now since you're new to running.

And I doubt your body is "fluffing back up" after taking one day off from running.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Only increase your distance by at most 10% each week or risk injury. Many run 5-6 times a week but your body needs a rest day, again, to avoid injury.
  • Lizbalzog
    Lizbalzog Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Every other day is fine for running but maybe do some other exercise on non running days. Core strengthening is good, will help your running as well.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am a runner like you(prefer running over other cardio), and run about every other day 2-3 miles. You can run every day if you want, but I find that I don't have to. On days I don't run, I walk outside. I find this better than killing myself running everyday. Do what works best for you. You don't need to run everyday! I promise!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you're running 1-2 miles a day... ya, you can run every day. If you find that any part of your body is in pain (not fatigue, the difference is important) then you should rest rather than pushing yourself into injury.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Its always good to take some days off from time to time.

When one starts I would advocate every other day.

Then run, run, rest, Repeat.
    When I am in the full swing of things of running I run, run run, rest every 4 day cycle. I do different sorts of runs on those three run days to keep it fresh I suppose.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm not really new to running, I just had taken some time off because of the weather, but my legs and core are strong. I do crunches, side bends, and pushups on the days I don't run. The only reason I stop at 2 miles or so is because my lungs can't handle it. I was a smoker for 13 years. I have been smoke free for 15 months now, so it's getting better, but it's still not so great. But my legs and body don't really get tired. It just seems like if I don't do it every day, the progress I make seems to reverse itself. Idk.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There is an entire community of people that run every day.. see "runeveryday.com" To get your certification, you need to run a minimum of 1 miler per day for 365 days. Running 1-2 miles is not a big deal man! Heck, you'd be sub 15 miles per week.

It's less than 30 minutes a day.

Listen to your body

If you enjoy it, Run man Run!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm not really new to running, I just had taken some time off because of the weather, but my legs and core are strong. I do crunches, side bends, and pushups on the days I don't run. The only reason I stop at 2 miles or so is because my lungs can't handle it. I was a smoker for 13 years. I have been smoke free for 15 months now, so it's getting better, but it's still not so great. But my legs and body don't really get tired. It just seems like if I don't do it every day, the progress I make seems to reverse itself. Idk.
    Since you are not new to running maybe try running 3 days, and off a day. It can very much help the body.
    As for getting past the 2 mile mark.
    This is how I go past my obstacles.
    Run the normal distance. Walk for a few minutes. And then run again for up to 5 minutes. Do that a few times out and then try running maybe a 1/4 more extra. After you run the 1/4 extra a time or two, go through the process again of walking for a few minutes and then running for up to 5 again.

I found that was a way, for me, to increase through some barriers
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you are training for this ..... http://mydrinkon.com/indy-dash-5k-beer-run-and-tasting/

Then keep doing what youre doing.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely not training for the beer tasting as I don't drink beer, lol, just trying to be fit and healthy and increase my lung strength. I think I'll stick to every other day for now, then increase to every 2 days, then every 3, if my body responds well. I always listen to my body and rest if need be, sometimes several days, but sometimes it doesn't feel like I need to at all. I guess I will just go by how I feel physically. And I'm talking a 9-12 minute mile depending, so I'm not over-exerting myself by any means. I'm pretty slow most of the time. :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    since you are only running 2 miles a day i would say it's safe to run everyday. when you start hitting 6miles and up maybe even 3.1 miles and up I would take at least one day rest.

but of course listen to your body. if you are in pain, then by all means take recovery days.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "Run everyday until you get to 6 miles per day" ??? Really??

ew.gif?t=1204847503
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    since you are only running 2 miles a day i would say it's safe to run everyday. when you start hitting 6miles and up maybe even 3.1 miles and up I would take at least one day rest.

but of course listen to your body. if you are in pain, then by all means take recovery days.

Is this what you've learned through your vast experience of running 6 miles that one time?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Huh
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I'm averaging 9 miles a day this week without any rest day... Does it mean I'm doing it wrong ?!?

*kitten* !
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    that prince gif is a riot! hahaha
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I'm averaging 9 miles a day this week without any rest day... Does it mean I'm doing it wrong ?!?

*kitten* !

Yes.