Tips for losing Thighs and Love handles

Options
Hi Everyone,
Please give me tips/advice on losing thighs,love handles and hip.
My weight is 131 lb, I am 5.51/2"
Waist is 28 cm
Hip 40 cm
Thighs 23 cm :((

I try to work out 5 days a week, I have started working out form last week only. Before I used to work out but not regularly, was on and off. And I am logging what I eat and staying under my 1200 calories goal. I do about 35 min cardio, either brisk walking, elliptical or running for 20 mins on 5.0 speed, and then walk for 15 mins.
In weight training , I try to do Squats (20, 2 sets) 3-4 times a week, use leg extension machine and leg curl machine thrice a week. Do crunches, twisted torso for love handles.

Please tell me if I am doing something wrong, or not doing it enough or what additional things I should add to my workout.
I want to lose 6 pounds in 2months..
I appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
Ash

Replies

• christina1109
    Options
    Use the abductor machine at the gym (works the inside of the thigh) and adductor machine (the outside of the thigh) Some gyms have one machine that works both groups, some have 2 different machines.

As for your middle any kind of core building exercise will get those love handles gone. My favorites are planks and side planks.
    The side planks work REALLY well for that area.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    They are only going to get smaller by losing more body fat. Keep up with the cardio.
  • kellybelly113
    kellybelly113 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Use the abductor machine at the gym (works the inside of the thigh) and adductor machine (the outside of the thigh) Some gyms have one machine that works both groups, some have 2 different machines.

I agree with this. Also cardio cardio cardio. As much as I hate to run for at least 30 mins when I work out, it has proven to work for me. I also do this exercise where your lower body is at a 45 degree angle and lean on it until it's to your hip. The waist up is free to move to the right or left depending on how you are on it. So I just lean to the right 15 times and then move so I can do the right side 15 times. I do three reps of each side. Some people also include a weight when they bend, maybe this would cause quicker results, I'm not sure. But I can say that I have seen a change with doing the way I do them. Hope that helps.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You can't spot lose fat. Cardio for fat loss.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Spotting is a myth. Cardio is best for weight loss and wait.
  • EmmmyK
    EmmmyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it. Get a Personal Trainer and ask them. I don't have a clue. Seems like your doing exactly what you should be doing, but you never know. Some people say the same routine can stop weight loss. So mix it up, take some dance classes like Zumba..you can burn up to 600 calories an hour..

Good Luck!

Emily
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key, but spinning is really what has gotten my legs lean(er) and my core stronger! I highly recommend that!
  • newyorkdia
    Options
    my tips but its a rule to follow

A MUST #1!
    keep ur tummy not-hungry-not-full status. this is why all trainers/body builders eat small 5-7 meals a day. bc ur body consume calories while eating( meant 'digeting'). What happens if you eat high calorie food? ur body saves the extra calories. What if you eat low calorie food? lets say celery. whole celery is only 4 cal. ur body uses more than 4 calories to digest celery that you are eating. so while eating celery, your body use more calories to digest. yes thats why celery is called minus calorie food. (so obviously celery itself is 4 calorie which is not minus calorie food but because of the effect, it's got the nick name)

A MUST #2
    i see ur excercise plan is well scheduled. u can lose weight by doing only cardio but if u want to look 'fit' and want to have tight body, yes we do need to do weight lifting. But muscle grows while you are resting not while you are working out. so try to do sit up /squats every other day. like..i scheduled my workouts...:Mon, Wed, and Sat = lower body / Tue, Thu, and sun = upper body. i dont workout the same part two days in a row. Here is another tip, If you want muscles, do heavy weight. if you want to be slip, try to use light free weights. An importamt tip of weight lifting, do it very very slow. do not use flexibility, u will need to feel the tight with lil bit of pain. no pain no gain

A MUST #3
    If you want better result, dont just run. you will need to follow this: Warm up (5 to 15 min, whichever workout that makes ur body warm, mostlikely light jogging) - weight lifting - and then do cardio. there is a study saying if you do cardio after weight lifting, higher chance of getting a better result.

A MUST #4
    If weight loss is ur goal, try to do cardio in the morning before eating breakfast. Im sure everyone knows about this: the first 8 to 12 minutes, ur body uses calories from carb then starts burning fat. (then use protein but we dont go that far...) Personally, I used to workout at night time but i wasnt losing weight so i swiched my workout schedule: I started running 6 or 7 am before i go to work,. This is why, i want my doby to burn straight from fat not from carb. Your body burns calories while sleeping (fyi, did u know ur body burns more calories while sleeping than watching TV? its true!). When u get up in the morning, ur stomach is empty so if u start running with stomach empty, u will morelikely burn fat.

believe me....sadly, workout is only 20-30% of weight lost. 60-70% is food(diet) 20-30% is workout and the rest 10% is stress management (including sleeping) Thats why if you are eating well but lil bit lack of workout , u will be thinner than a person who eats crap and workout a lot.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't help but to feel like you probably don't need to be crazy about losing weight... I mean are those measurements for real? 11 in waist, 15 in hips and 9 in thighs? I don't think you need cardio, I think you need a meal or something
  • kellybelly113
    kellybelly113 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    my tips but its a rule to follow

A MUST #1!
    keep ur tummy not-hungry-not-full status. this is why all trainers/body builders eat small 5-7 meals a day. bc ur body consume calories while eating( meant 'digeting'). What happens if you eat high calorie food? ur body saves the extra calories. What if you eat low calorie food? lets say celery. whole celery is only 4 cal. ur body uses more than 4 calories to digest celery that you are eating. so while eating celery, your body use more calories to digest. yes thats why celery is called minus calorie food. (so obviously celery itself is 4 calorie which is not minus calorie food but because of the effect, it's got the nick name)

A MUST #2
    i see ur excercise plan is well scheduled. u can lose weight by doing only cardio but if u want to look 'fit' and want to have tight body, yes we do need to do weight lifting. But muscle grows while you are resting not while you are working out. so try to do sit up /squats every other day. like..i scheduled my workouts...:Mon, Wed, and Sat = lower body / Tue, Thu, and sun = upper body. i dont workout the same part two days in a row. Here is another tip, If you want muscles, do heavy weight. if you want to be slip, try to use light free weights. An importamt tip of weight lifting, do it very very slow. do not use flexibility, u will need to feel the tight with lil bit of pain. no pain no gain

A MUST #3
    If you want better result, dont just run. you will need to follow this: Warm up (5 to 15 min, whichever workout that makes ur body warm, mostlikely light jogging) - weight lifting - and then do cardio. there is a study saying if you do cardio after weight lifting, higher chance of getting a better result.

A MUST #4
    If weight loss is ur goal, try to do cardio in the morning before eating breakfast. Im sure everyone knows about this: the first 8 to 12 minutes, ur body uses calories from carb then starts burning fat. (then use protein but we dont go that far...) Personally, I used to workout at night time but i wasnt losing weight so i swiched my workout schedule: I started running 6 or 7 am before i go to work,. This is why, i want my doby to burn straight from fat not from carb. Your body burns calories while sleeping (fyi, did u know ur body burns more calories while sleeping than watching TV? its true!). When u get up in the morning, ur stomach is empty so if u start running with stomach empty, u will morelikely burn fat.

believe me....sadly, workout is only 20-30% of weight lost. 60-70% is food(diet) 20-30% is workout and the rest 10% is stress management (including sleeping) Thats why if you are eating well but lil bit lack of workout , u will be thinner than a person who eats crap and workout a lot.
    Thanks for posting, it helps us newbies. :)
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just like most people have said, there is no way to choose where you lose fat from.

The 'thigh machines' at the gym will only help you increase the muscle in your legs. You need to burn fat for those muscles to become visible and 'tone'. The way you burn fat is for MOST people through cardio. If you are going really serious heavy weight lifting that focuses on compound lifts and good form, that will help you burn fat as well. The combination of building muscle and burning the fat off the top of it is what causes you to lose inches.

So run, jog, swim, bike. Biking is amazing for your legs and it can be good for your core if you're riding an actual bike and not a stationary in the gym.

Also, EAT! You need more than the calories you're giving yourself.

Good luck :)
  • looseit_ash
    looseit_ash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow..Thank you SO MUCH everyone for the useful tips.
    And special Thanks to newyorkdia..Your tips are great..I can't wait to workout today..
    I workout in evening after work, as I can't get up early :))..But I wish to change that some day..:)
    And I am not a runner..but I have improved and now I can run for 20 mins on treadmill ..before I could run only 10-12 mins , so I hope i can run 30 mins after a month or so..
    Thanks again..I will try my best to do everything you said..
  • looseit_ash
    looseit_ash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't help but to feel like you probably don't need to be crazy about losing weight... I mean are those measurements for real? 11 in waist, 15 in hips and 9 in thighs? I don't think you need cardio, I think you need a meal or something

Sorry, I realized that I wrote cm instead on in :))
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    disagree re cardio only for fat loss. weight loss yes, but fat loss no.

http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html