Woman who lift

Options
eimaj5575
eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
Hi I am curious to see what routines different women have when lifting . I have started SL5x5 but I am not sure if it is right for me. What kinds of routines do you ladies do? I kinda want to get ideas to see if something else would be better for me. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• eimaj5575
    Options
    Anyone?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the SL5x5 since the end of November and I love it! I'm getting definition that I've never had before, EVER.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    right now running Sheiko competition prep program for a lifting meet.

lifting programs will not be gender specific- pick a program that suits your needs/goals and go with it- it's not about "woman's programs vs men's programs)
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    I like parts of SL 5x5 but I am finding it hard to push farther doing it on my own. I only have help 1 day a week to spot me and such. I want to lift but i just dont know if SL 5x5 is right for me :/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started with Lee Labrada's 12 week lean body trainer. Now I do my own version of PHAT.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    right now running Sheiko competition prep program for a lifting meet.

lifting programs will not be gender specific- pick a program that suits your needs/goals and go with it- it's not about "woman's programs vs men's programs)

But what if I want to get long and lean instead of all bulky?
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I did SL5x5 last year and loved it. Then I did All Pro's SBR and liked it at first but eventually got bored of doing the same thing every gym day. Now I'm doing SL5x5 again and I'm happy with it, for now. When I'm more experienced I will probably create my own routine.
  • love_faithfulness
    Options
    I do stronglifts 5x5 and then some stuff from jamie easons 12 week program. I loved doing that program and it's free off bodybuilding.com. Plus the app bodyspace will track your workouts too
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am doing New a Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do SL 5x5 as well. But I have the setup at home so I don't need a spotter...
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am doing SL 5x5 and really like it! I don't have anyone here to spot or assist me. I have improvised my own squatting cage so lifting alone is not risky. I love being able to be as vocal as I want to be and cranking my music as loud as I want to! Not to mention the results!!!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just started SL 5x5 in March. I really like it for the simplicity. I too have improvised so I don't really require a spotter at this point. I may once my BP gets heavier. I think for my purposes and goals at this point SL is my best option. I also mess around with some other exercises in the weight room just to try things out and keep from getting bored.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I rarely need a spotter, but when I do need one like I'm lifting a weight I've never attempted before, I ask one of the guys in the gym.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing SL5x5 at home. We have safety bars, so I don't use a spotter.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    I lift at home 2x a weeks and 1x at my bf's gym on sundays. After reading what you guys are saying I am thinking maybe I should invest in some more equipment for my home to be able to lift more at home and stay safe. I am just so new to this and trying to find what suites me. Thanks for the input guys :)
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started with Lee Labrada's 12 week lean body trainer. Now I do my own version of PHAT.

I'm currently doing Lee Labrada too & am loving it

Like the Jamie Eason program someone else mentioned, it's free from bodybuilding.com
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What is SL5x5?
    I just lift the major body parts 5x a week, as heavy as I can go 3x 12 reps approx.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My gym only has smith machines, so I'm doing a sort of modified 5x5 program using dumbbells. I got the workout from bodybuilding.com when I was looking for total body dumbbell workouts. I don't have the space (or the money atm) to shell out for my own power rack and barbells, which is my eventual goal. :)
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    What is SL5x5?
    I just lift the major body parts 5x a week, as heavy as I can go 3x 12 reps approx.

Compound lifts 5 sets of 5 reps, each lift. Squats, deadlifts, OHP one day, skip a day, squats, bench, barbell rows the next, etc.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do a mix, with SL 5x5 mixed in.