Vanilla Protein Pound Cake

Options
djeffreys10
djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
So I have been bored that last couple of nights while my kids were visiting their mom, and I decided to play in the kitchen. While trying to make an extremely simple apple butter protein bread/cake/whatever, I accidentally came up with a REALLY good vanilla pound cake.

1/2 cup cake flour
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup apple butter
4 egg whites

Combine all ingredients except egg whites and whisk until batter is smooth. It will be a little thick.
Whip egg whites. I am not a cook, so I can't tell you how firm to make them. I just whipped them with my hand mixer.
Fold whipped egg whites into batter.
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
Bake at 375 for around 30 minutes, give or take. As usual, a toothpick poked in should come out clean. I left mine in 35 minutes and it was a bit too much.

I call a serving 1/4 of a loaf (which is pretty substantial). It is quite filling.

Per serving: 182 calories, 23g carbs, 1g fat, 22g protein. (for the ingredients I used, yours may vary slightly)

Yes, I know that apple butter isn't the "healthiest" thing in the world. But it taste good and it's what I wanted to play with. IIFYM, then go for it. In this, you can't really taste the apple unless you really concentrate on it. It has the tiniest tart flavor, I guess from the greek yogurt. But mostly tastes vanilla.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh thank you so much for this. Adding apple butter and cake flour to my grocery shopping list.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Is there anything you could use in place of apple butter? Is that like apple sauce?
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    Beats me. I'm not a cook lol. That was what I used trying for something completely different, but the end result was accidentally a good pound cake. Try it with something else and see what happens. This only takes about 10 minutes to mix up, so not a lot of time invested if you don't like the result.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yum Sounds great! Thank you am going to try this next time I go to the store. Is apple butter located next to regular butter, peanut putter, or applesauce? I have no idea.
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    It was with the jelly and jam in my store.

Once I get what I am going for with the apple butter cake, I am going to try it with a fresh apple, cinamon, and stevia. Use my magic bullet to blend the apple peeled apple to much, then stevia and cinamon to taste. Probably use some apple shavings in the batter as well to make an apple cinamon protein bread. But that is too much trouble to go through for my experimenting trying to get moisture and texture correct.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your experiment with us.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Is there anything you could use in place of apple butter? Is that like apple sauce?

Apple butter is much more dense and spiced than apple sauce, but you might find it on the same shelf at the store if it's not with the jam and jelly. It is often a lot darker than apple sauce because it has a lot of cinnamon added to it. It is very yummy. I bet it would be delicious spread on some of this pound cake. I would not substitute apple sauce because it has too much liquid and wouldn't bake up the same.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Too high in starchy refined carbs.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *bump* for future reference; thanks
    ...vanilla pound cake.

1/2 cup cake flour
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
    1/4 cup apple butter
    4 egg whites

Combine all ingredients except egg whites and whisk until batter is smooth. It will be a little thick.
    Whip egg whites. I am not a cook, so I can't tell you how firm to make them. I just whipped them with my hand mixer.
    Fold whipped egg whites into batter.
    Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
    Bake at 375 for around 30 minutes, give or take. As usual, a toothpick poked in should come out clean. I left mine in 35 minutes and it was a bit too much.

I call a serving 1/4 of a loaf (which is pretty substantial). It is quite filling.

Per serving: 182 calories, 23g carbs, 1g fat, 22g protein. (for the ingredients I used, yours may vary slightly)

Yes, I know that apple butter isn't the "healthiest" thing in the world. But it taste good and it's what I wanted to play with. IIFYM, then go for it. In this, you can't really taste the apple unless you really concentrate on it. It has the tiniest tart flavor, I guess from the greek yogurt. But mostly tastes vanilla.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    bump